I need help please

dfrank

Feb 23, 2024
Colorado
I’m not sure I’m in the right place and not to computer savvy, but I need some help. I mounted a 2023 Dooley bed on a 2001 Chevy and I thought I was in good shape but I cannot get brake lights. The bed has factory LED lights. The truck has a separate brake light wire.

The wiring harness to the LED lights, are brown, green, black, and red, I was assuming the red would be the brakes as the brown is light the green is turn signal and the black is ground but I get nothing out of the red wire when I hook it to power. I’m not all that smart, but I cannot figure this out at all, so any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Mikey52

Sep 20, 2018
If it has a separate wire it probably has a separate fuse, but I'm sure you checked that.

Eaglebusman

Apr 13, 2019
The 2001 had a 3 wire system, the later ones used 2 wire. It seems backwards but thats the way they did it, brake and turn use the same bulb on the 2 wire, brake and turn use seperate bulbs on 3 wire systems. I had the same issue installing a 2008 on a 2006 and ended up using a 3 to 2 trailer adapter but you will probably need to also install a LED flasher. You may be able to just use some diodes like these;

Roadmaster 792 Hy-Power Diode, (Pack of 2)​

I used the CHMSL (high center brake light) wire for the brake light.