LB7: Hydrolocked LB7?

LB7Diesel

Oh Boy!
Sep 3, 2006
Melbourne, F.L.
I have a friend who want's to buy my spare lb7. Part of the deal is that he give me his lb7 in return. Now here's the catch. During our recent flooding he was leaving his shop and had to go through a flooded driveway which was about grill deep. This caused water to enter the air box and lock the engine up. He said the truck was just ideling when this happened. The mechanic at the shop he took it to said it bent 2 pushrods on 2 cylinders. My question is can it hurt anything else? I talked to guy and he thought the rods might be bent, but I forgot to tell him the truck was at an idle. Can this still bend the rod's? Any input would be appreciated;)

LB7Diesel

Oh Boy!
Sep 3, 2006
Melbourne, F.L.
I went and looked at it today with the heads off. I also put a dial ind gauge on the pistons and it has no shortened rods. 6 out of 8 cylinders had bent push rods and broken valve keepers, ( Or whatever there called ) He tried to start it 3 times after it locked up and I think that's what fubar'd the valve train. There's slight surface rust on the cylinder walls from being open for a day. Fig I'll just go-ahead and start a project engine out of it. I might be in need of some stock valve train components in the near future if any one has some.

Thanks for all the response I feel over whelmed!!

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
I went and looked at it today with the heads off. I also put a dial ind gauge on the pistons and it has no shortened rods. 6 out of 8 cylinders had bent push rods and broken valve keepers, ( Or whatever there called ) He tried to start it 3 times after it locked up and I think that's what fubar'd the valve train. There's slight surface rust on the cylinder walls from being open for a day. Fig I'll just go-ahead and start a project engine out of it. I might be in need of some stock valve train components in the near future if any one has some.

Thanks for all the response I feel over whelmed!!

Ive got pushrods for ya Joey
get some wd40 or type F trans oil on the cylinder walls ASAP

btw funny avatar:D

LB7Diesel

Oh Boy!
Sep 3, 2006
Melbourne, F.L.
Ive got pushrods for ya Joey
get some wd40 or type F trans oil on the cylinder walls ASAP

btw funny avatar:D

Awesome, I'll need them! I'll need to find those valve bridges also. I guess those would be best to get from the dealer?

I coated the cylinder walls yesturday. Surface rust wastes no time!:eek:

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Awesome, I'll need them! I'll need to find those valve bridges also. I guess those would be best to get from the dealer?

I coated the cylinder walls yesturday. Surface rust wastes no time!:eek:

Im going to be doing some updating to my heads this winter,I might be able to help

JOHNBOY

< Rocking the Big Single!
Aug 30, 2006
Saegertown, Pa
If the rods are not bent it should be OK. I would not reuse those pistons. I would reccommend you have the mag particled for cracks. My dad hydroed a TDI VW. The blocked looked fine but was actually cracked all to hell. It bent rods harsh though.:rofl:

LB7Diesel

Oh Boy!
Sep 3, 2006
Melbourne, F.L.
Thanks Johnboy. This is going to prob be a long drawn out build simply b/c I don't know what I want to build this thing for. I'm thinking of lowering the comp ratio and make it a nitrous engine. Has anyone built a d-max strictly to spray the nut's off of it yet? I don't have the money to build a bad ass fuel only engine.:(