How did you get into your career?

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Hell, I'm going to be 61 this year and still haven't settled on a career.

I've been paid to be:
Body Mechanic.​
Dish washer​
Computer Operator​
Operations manager​
Software Engineer.​
Carpenter​
Mason​
Heavy Equipment operator​
General contractor​
machinist​
Welder​
nuclear refueler​
Specialty crane tech.​
Machine shop owner.​
and a few I am probably forgetting.....​

I have a feeling a book about your life would be a very interesting read. I'll never forget your post about building your own finder flares on DP, and thinking how the hell does this guy know all this shit?

Reactions: SmokeShow

fajitatone

Almost Stock
Jul 6, 2007
WA
www.fajita.net
NY child actor till family moved to Kansas. High school jobs were fast food, then amusement park (Worlds of Fun and Oceans of Fun in Kansas City) and Toys R Us. Moved to Miami after HS. Tried Community College. Didn't like college so I went to tech school for radio broadcasting. Did some talk show producing and sports broadcasts for Dolphins, Heat, Hurricanes in Miami. Did part time programming AT&T System 75 phone system IVR cuz radio pays like shit. Found an opening at a TV station to mix commercials and had to build the studio I was going to work in from a pile of parts that were delivered from LA ( station was owned by USA Networks at the time). Taught myself audio post production and that station was sold to Univision. They sold me with the gear. Poached to Paxson/ION networks mixing promos and commercials. Poached again by Discovery Channel to mix TV shows, promos, and commercials. Moved to Washington, started doing live events for Microsoft and now do Media Production for Microsoft. Videos, commercials, live events all over the world. Always tried to fix my own things around the house and cars thanks to my dad who made me work along side him on weekends when all my friends were riding bikes.

Yngdmax92

Sep 26, 2013
i am a power genset technician for the united states Air Force. How i got my job you ask.... a gentlemen approached me about working on his truck for some performance needs and lightening the truck up. Got all done with it and gave him the bill, he called me up and was loving it, said by chance do you know how to work on generators. I replied, why yes i do, i went to college for this, i just like to have fun on the side with the trucks because of what you can do with these things with just some tunes. We met up again and a job was offered, i could not pass up the opportunity and the gentlemans truck that i worked on is now my boss and a very good friend of mine. I love it!

ironmax

chock full of goodies
Jul 7, 2010
Col. Ohio
Started in construction at 14 helping my uncle build my grandma's house over the summer. 2 years later my mom married a guy with a construction business. Worked there till I was 19. Left for school in Columbus OH. 1 YEAR OF THAT WAS ENOUGH. Was working construction while going to school. Started my business at 21 framing houses. Got hooked up with a commercial contractor after building his addition. Left the residential world and went all commercial/ industrial work at 27. Partnered with a long time business associate at 35. Now at 42 and things are going great for now. We will see what the near future does to this economy.