Help tuning 7.8 Isuzu

JS Sign

Jul 12, 2023
Duphus2726!
I know that this is for the 6.6 Duramax but it was the best option to post here. I have a 2006 C7500 with the 7.8 Isuzu and Allison auto.
I need to find a way to delete the factory governor and increase it power etc. Basically I either need to buy a handheld tuner or have someone who knows what they are doing take care of it. Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I know that this is for the 6.6 Duramax but it was the best option to post here. I have a 2006 C7500 with the 7.8 Isuzu and Allison auto.
I need to find a way to delete the factory governor and increase it power etc. Basically I either need to buy a handheld tuner or have someone who knows what they are doing take care of it. Any suggestions?
Thanks!
This is a Denso based ECM/fuel system, and thus EFILive does not support it at this time and I doubt they every will due to zero/minimal demand. Diablosport apparently used to make a device for it but I cannot seem to find the PN or any for sale.

Other link: https://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/threads/7-8-liter-duramax.20029/

pl_silverado

Jan 29, 2012
Doable, but not via aftermarket and your gains are limited to factory offerings. These 6HK1's came from the factory with a couple different power levels ranging from 200-330 hp and 520-860 ft lbs. The only way to tune it is to find the VIN of a truck with the 330hp power level and reflashing your truck to that VIN using AC Delco TDS. Unfortunately thats as far as you can go with these, but just going from the low power tune to the high one made a hell of a different in the truck I did it on.

JS Sign

Jul 12, 2023
Duphus2726!
Wow thanks! At least there is some hope. Do you have any idea how you go about trying to tell if a truck is the higher horsepower and torque to use its VIN?

pl_silverado

Jan 29, 2012
Wow thanks! At least there is some hope. Do you have any idea how you go about trying to tell if a truck is the higher horsepower and torque to use its VIN?

Its tough. I flashed about a dozen vin numbers before I came across one that worked. Checked the fuel rates with each one using a tech2, and kept notes. It took about a week of browsing commercial truck classifieds until i found a listing for a dump truck in Canada somewhere being accurately advertised at 330hp. This was like 4-5 years ago. I can go digging thru records and see if I can find the one I used, but thats a long shot.