LB7: got my injectors out

C-Power

wanna be puller
Nov 1, 2009
Hicksville, Oh
well i had a thread about how i wasnt sure if i had a bad head gasket or not, well now i know i dont,

i finally got down to the injectors on sunday, lets just say im not pleased at all,

heres the back ground on the truck, i bought it in august of 09 when i bought it the first thing i asked was were the injectors changed yet, he said yeah they were just done, so i assumed GM did them since it was still under warrenty, well after drivin down to Schied, i wanted to check all my fluids before i came back home, so i checked oil it was fine, went to check the coolant and after sittin all night it overflowed the tank when i opened it b/c of all the pressure so i was kinda worried but figured maybe it was just the hours of bein on the road the previous day, less then a month after i got it i noticed it was smokin quiet a bit at an idle so i emailed the guy i got it from to ask what shop did the injectors b/c they are either idiots or put in junk parts which still makes them idiots, he told me ohhh i got them off ebay and my dad put them in :mad: his dad is a wanna be mechanic....fast forward to december, its smokin so bad at an idle its embarrasing at stop lights, and the low coolant light comes on so i add half a gallon or so adn its fine for awhile then it pops back on,

so i finally ordered my stuff a couple weeks ago and i started tearin into it on thursday, well i found so many wires not connected right, bolts not tight, and the rocker cover (lower valve cover) didnt have a gasket it was siliconed as well, all the rocker cover bolts were rounded out they put them in so tight, i had to use an air grinder and small cutting wheel to cut 2 of them out, and of course they were the hardest to get to, 1 on the pass side lower valve cover all the way in the back, and 1 on the upper cover on the driver side under my steering stuff,

but i got them out, found 2 inj return line screws that werer rounded out luckily they dont need to be too tight so vise grips got them off, so it was time to pop injectors out, i started on the pass side, the very first one i pulled was double copper ringed, the second one, pulled a cup, the 3rd and 4th had 1 copper ring so i think i still got one stuck in there, move to the driver side all 4 pulled cups w/ them, took them up to my buddies b/c i didnt know how the cups were supposed to sit and he said they were all double coppered b/c the cup was sitting really low on them all :mad:

im hopin i can get some of the cups off and save the injectors, i have his 8 stockers and my 8, out of 16, 6 have cups on them :eek:

C-Power

wanna be puller
Nov 1, 2009
Hicksville, Oh
yeah its kinda sad, a young guy like me does better mechanic work then a 40-50yr old guy that says he has a shop and is a diesel mechanic :mad: im 19 and do way better work, this was a learning expiriance for me, i've never done that on a D-max before

i just cant believe some one would be dumb enought to put double crush rings on there

C-Power

wanna be puller
Nov 1, 2009
Hicksville, Oh
yeah needs new cups, i need to try to get the old ones off, other wise ill have to get new injectors and i really dont want to get new injectors and new cups :mad:

SDE

Jul 31, 2009
I see this all the time. Forget reusing the cups and chuck them in a vise but don't apply too much pressure. Use a small propane torch and heat the cup and use an open ended wrench on the injector where the hold down would normally sit. Turn the injector clockwise looking at the top of the injector and wiggle it out. You will find all kinds of nasty carbon that made its way past the copper washers up onto the injector body. You'll be okay just don't turn the injector counterclockwise because if it is too carboned up you could loosen the nozzle retaining nut. I have had to cut the sleeves off the injector before if its really bad. If you need someone to test those injectors for you we have the capabilities to check them. I'm not trying to advertise but just offering up some advise since you said you have 16 injectors that you wanted to get 8 good ones out of.

Spencer

C-Power

wanna be puller
Nov 1, 2009
Hicksville, Oh
I see this all the time. Forget reusing the cups and chuck them in a vise but don't apply too much pressure. Use a small propane torch and heat the cup and use an open ended wrench on the injector where the hold down would normally sit. Turn the injector clockwise looking at the top of the injector and wiggle it out. You will find all kinds of nasty carbon that made its way past the copper washers up onto the injector body. You'll be okay just don't turn the injector counterclockwise because if it is too carboned up you could loosen the nozzle retaining nut. I have had to cut the sleeves off the injector before if its really bad. If you need someone to test those injectors for you we have the capabilities to check them. I'm not trying to advertise but just offering up some advise since you said you have 16 injectors that you wanted to get 8 good ones out of.

Spencer

what do you charge per injector? i actually right now have 10 w/ out cups and 6 w/ cups, so w/ mine im gonna try to get the cups off so i have a better chance, i know out of the 10, 3 are perfect and the rest idk

Probably around $24 each.

looks like ill just order them from SoCal then :thumb:

Trippin

SoCal Diesel
Aug 10, 2006
We should probably check the date codes on the injectors to see if they are the latest design or not.

1chevy02

Jun 23, 2009
We should probably check the date codes on the injectors to see if they are the latest design or not.
Not to thread jack you, But are you seeing the newest revision lasting better than the older ones? I was told from our dealer who stocks 70ish lb7 injectors that they had not had any of the newer ones come back. I don't know if he was blowing smoke up my a@@ or not. They sure sell a lot of them and I was told that in 06 that they were "better" and only got 30k on them:(

C-Power

wanna be puller
Nov 1, 2009
Hicksville, Oh

how do i do that? im not gettin new ones! im using my injectors and my buddies stockers to make a set! im not even sure what injector i have in my truck

ok well i guess dad found somethin wierd out tonight,

i had 5 w/ cups on and 1 that was double crush ringed (copper ring)

he got 2 cups off so far, and niether of them had double rings, but both had messed up O-Rings so that may be why they didnt sit in the cup right!

also how much of that sealent is supposed to be in there? b/c my dad said there was alot, like pri more then should have been there, he said there was huge globs come out!

also out of the 2 he killed 1 cup, the other one he said has scratches in it from the channel locks, but he said it would pri polish back up, how do you know when not to reuse a cup?

Lb7KID

ZoomZoom
Jan 24, 2010
parker,colo
when i did mine i had to cups come out i heated them like said above got them off cleand with scotch bright put new o rings on put new selent on punched in with a brass punch they seem to be fine that was a year and a half ago.