Good and Bad engine wear - what to look for

TylerS

Gearhead
I'm tearing apart and rebuilding an lmm I picked up that had a cracked piston. I was wondering what wear indications to look for both good and bad. I'll post some pictures of the cracked piston later but I know it's nothing new.

Pictures are always beneficial.

Thanks for the help!

TylerS

Gearhead
First question I have is what causes the oval shaped, darker marks staggered about cylinder in this picture? I assume it's normal as block is looking good even the cracked cylinder wall is pretty good.

picture.php

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
The broken cranks are "usually" at the #1 rod journal and have been believed to be caused by harmonic frequency developed from the firing order, which is why there's so much hype around the alternate firing order cam(s)

I think the biggest thing to look at is the crosshatching in the cylinder bore, but your probably gonna need a hone at a minimum to clean up any scoring from the cracked piston.

Crank end play and the cam bearings and main bearings would be next, and then see how much heat and friction the rod bearing took on.

Then how the top ring on the pistons look, look for any scuffing, if it looks "polished" I think that's normal, but scuffing isn't good..

Also check the top and bottom of the cylinder bore for where the piston stops traveling, look for a ridge caused by wear from the rings.

I've only taken one d-max apart :eek:
But I've torn a few SBC and a couple LS engines down with a few different people and those are the things I've always been told to look at

TylerS

Gearhead
Thanks for some of the tips Hot COCOAL. I've been following a lot of the posts on here about the cranks but wasn't sure which side the crack initiated on or maybe its been too varying to identify a typical spot.

NC-smokinlmm, I re-read my post and I can understand the confusion. I didn't word it very well. What I meant to say was that even the cylinder wall that contained the cracked piston looks pretty good. Obviously I will at least need a hone if not a slight over-bore.

Anybody have pictures of bad bearing wear?