LMM: Glow plugs or Battery issue?

ajs7535

Nov 8, 2018
I’m new to this site but I didn’t know where else to turn, hoping I can get some advice/answers here. Quite frankly I’m not mechanically inclined so I’m sorry if this description of my problem sounds elementary. I Have a 2007 2500 HD haven’t had any serious issues out of since buying it in May until yesterday. I got in the truck, and the check engine light was on. It ran fine and cranked fine all day. I took it to O’Reillys to get the check engine light scanned and it came back a code that glow plug #1 & #7 needed to be replaced. This morning (about 40 degrees here) jumped in the truck, didn’t even try to turn over.. tried it again and all the dash lights flashed, the interior lights, the radio, went to flashing like crazy and then when they stopped the check engine light and glow plug light remained on for longer than everything else. So my question is, where should I start? Is this a glow plug issue or actually a battery issue?

Thanks in advance.

ajs7535

Nov 8, 2018
I will say that we kinda thought it was strange that it seems like the batteries died all at once? I guess the check engine light and bad glow plugs code was my warning that the batteries were dying.

Whitetail Addict

Rockin' the stock tune
May 8, 2008
South Central Pennsylvania
Batteries will die quickly. I had the factory batteries in my LML just flat die this summer. No warning whatsoever.
The factory batteries died in my LB7 in the winter of 2010. No real warning either.

The extremes kill batteries. With it getting colder it will take its toll on batteries.

ajs7535

Nov 8, 2018
I’m back with more problems.. put the truck on a battery charger to get it running, started right up with the check engine light still on. Drove it straight to O’Reillys to get the batteries tested, they both tested good! I had them run the check engine light again and it througha code about glow plug 1 again and then another code that said “incorrect immobilizer key” the looked up that code and it came back that A power train control module malfunction would cause that code. Anyone have any experience with this??

ajs7535

Nov 8, 2018
I’ll add that the truck started right up after turning it off to check batteries.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
You tested the batteries separately, right? Load tested them, not just for current at rest?
If so and they checked out good, you probably have a drain somewhere. Not going to be fun to find it.

ajs7535

Nov 8, 2018
They were tested separately. I guess I didn’t get them load tested, just current at rest because the engine was off and they tested good. I’m sorry, like I said in the original post, I am in NO way mechanically inclined. I just assumed whatever test they did at the store was the test that needed to be done.