Funny Characters on my dci. Need some help.

Hammer 4

Have Hammer..Will Travel
May 27, 2008
San Pedro, So Cali
So when my truck is not running, and only when I first get in, does this appear. Also all my gauges are not showing the actual readings, i.e. my tack reads about 4.5 rpms, when in reality it's idling at 704 rpm. New batteries, check my ground connections, ect. Any help would much appreciated.20220418_155329.jpg

Last edited:

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Well that's a new one to me. The cluster itself is almost certainly faulty, but in a way I've not seen before. Like a bad connection between the CPU and the VFD driver chip somehow.

You could open the cluster up and look for corrosion, but the simplest solution is probably to get a rebuilt cluster.

Though it is worth double checking the plug on the back of the cluster looks good, no pushed out pins or damaged wires.

Sent from my FlashScan V2 using Tapatalk

Hammer 4

Have Hammer..Will Travel
May 27, 2008
San Pedro, So Cali
Stepper motors were all upgraded just over a year ago. I've had the cluster out since then, so maybe the connection isn't sound, I'll check that. Thanks for the reply.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Probably the same thing thats causing my cluster's language problem. .

68ss -- thanks for that link. Cost is pretty reasonable,

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
I just purchased a brand new one for my 1500.

but I got mine from Digital Dash Solutions. I also opted for blue led's and pointers.

Hammer 4

Have Hammer..Will Travel
May 27, 2008
San Pedro, So Cali
Welp, my gauges actually worked fine on my 12 mile ride home tonight. I stopped at the store, and they went back to reading on the low side. Must be a short, or a grounding issue I missed. Again, thanks for the replies.

68ss

Dec 30, 2019
Tom. They done a complete rebuild of mine. I have no complaints and they had great customer service.
Probably the same thing thats causing my cluster's language problem. .

68ss -- thanks for that link. Cost is pretty reasonable,

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
You might want to have the batteries checked. From there, I know when I had the 04 cluster repaired, they replaced several of the voltage regulators. I think they said that they are known to start failing at some point.