LBZ: fuel return line size??

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
in the 83, I plan to run 5/8" fuel line from tank to cp3. What size should I run on the return line to the tank? Main concern is if it HAS to be same as fuel line or if it can be a little smaller like 1/2" or something??

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
in the 83, I plan to run 5/8" fuel line from tank to cp3. What size should I run on the return line to the tank? Main concern is if it HAS to be same as fuel line or if it can be a little smaller like 1/2" or something??

I would use 1/2" at minimum JMHO

MAXLLY

No Lemming Here
Aug 15, 2007
San Diego
I used 3/4" out and 1/2" return line. IIRC that's double the original size on an LLY.

My thinking was purdy straight forward. Double in, double out... could be wrong (usually am) atleast the ID ratio between feed and return will remain the same.

If you use the stock tank it get's pinched down to 1/4"? unless you change the pick up/breather/return lines around on the sender cap. custom tank?

Good luck.

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
Hey Mitch I would get the old jegs or summit out and get some push lock an style hose and fittings, I would run -10 for the supply and -6. If your using the stock tank pull the sending unit out see how many lines are on top thik there is only 2 on that year and the fuel level sensor plug in, Cut the fittings off the top that were the supply and return before on the inside and out side,Get a uni drill bit or a set of regular ones will work also make the holes the same size as a -10 bulk head fitting were you can make a new pickup tube and do the same for the return but return in easier bulk head and thats it no tube just let it dump back in from there. On the -10 you will want some hard tubing to pull fuel out.I will type more later mybe a drawing when I have more time or you can call me Mitch

Henry
443-907-4838

Last edited:

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Hey Mitch I would get the old jegs or summit out and get some push lock an style hose and fittings, I would run -10 for the supply and -6.

And a fuel cell while you are at it:D

Actually Mitch I would and did run SS tubing for the long straight aways then use the hose for tight tricky parts

Stock fuel lines are 10mm and 12 mm

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
henry, that's exactly what I had in mind!!

Crappy thing is, the truck was a gasser pulling truck previously and has a fuel cell where the front pass seat was and no oe tank BUT I can't run a fuel cell and will therefore have to find an or tank and might make my own bulkhead "panel" in place of the oe ending unit.

Think I'll run the -10 feed and -6 return.

Henry you mentioned the push lock hose and fittings... I've heard of it but what makes THAT much better than say a marine grade fuel line that's compatible with diesel but has standard sizing of 5/8"??? Is it solely for the better fasteners/connections that won't need clamps??? Just trying to understand why I would NEED to spend more on the push lock stuff. I will if it IS in fact that much better but just want to understand why it is if so. ;)

Thank for yalls help and opinions! I value them very highly! You all will be a very big part of this conversion!! :D :beer

JOHNBOY

< Rocking the Big Single!
Aug 30, 2006
Saegertown, Pa
I really like the Push Lock fittings and hose. I have been running the Summit brand stuff for several years now. No issues. 3/8 ID should be more than enough for the return.

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
Mitch its just alot easier to work with, And really does not cost that much to do with fittings from summit or jegs in there brand name,With the marine line and good clams are not that cheap that and when you install a stock tank the bulk head an fitting with work alot better for you.We might have a tank around here that will work for you we have had a few of these truck in the day.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
let me know on the tank henry. ;) remember that the truck is not configured like any from the factory since it's a crew cab long bed that's been shortened to be a short bed. Not real sure which tank will fit in the new space. :D. Gonna ask someone thats shortened one already to see what tank they used.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Yours from the 01 simon? Im thinking I'll need a shortbed tank from this model of gm truck - 73-91. Not real sure a long bed tank will fit since this is a cut down longned truck to be a short bed crew cab.

FYI, the engine and tranny are coming from Canada middle of next week. :D. Guy's personally driving them to me. :eek: :rockon:

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Yours from the 01 simon? Sorry Duh:eek: Im thinking I'll need a shortbed tank from this model of gm truck - 73-91. Not real sure a long bed tank will fit since this is a cut down longned truck to be a short bed crew cab.

FYI, the engine and tranny are coming from Canada middle of next week. :D. Guy's personally driving them to me. :eek: :rockon:

Mitch this help?
http://answers.jcwhitney.com/answers/1915/product/15691G/questions.htm?scrollToTop=true

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/...-10101/N-111+600002070+200729576+1982/c-10101

Glad you are getting the big parts,this is going to be a sweet truck:rockon:

JOHNBOY

< Rocking the Big Single!
Aug 30, 2006
Saegertown, Pa
Yours from the 01 simon? Im thinking I'll need a shortbed tank from this model of gm truck - 73-91. Not real sure a long bed tank will fit since this is a cut down longned truck to be a short bed crew cab.

Mitch

nwpadmax went fuel cell. He might still have his SB tank sitting around.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Thanks John but I think I'm going to try and get a tank for this era of truck. I'll keep that in mind if I have trouble finding something though.

C-ya

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY

Yeah, thanks.

Flipping through an LMC mag., a brand new tank is only about $100 so it's not a huge purchase. I think I should be able to find one just laying around a friend's place or a salvage yard for $25 or so.

C-ya

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Yeah, thanks.

Flipping through an LMC mag., a brand new tank is only about $100 so it's not a huge purchase. I think I should be able to find one just laying around a friend's place or a salvage yard for $25 or so.

C-ya

Good luck finding a used one that doesn't leak.:)

LMC is great for parts. Especially that era GMC and Ford stuff. Good quality too.