Fuel Lab Lift Pumps?

Colt

Jul 23, 2010
Is anyone running one and how's it work for you if so? See these coming out in ads with good specs and just was looking for any history. Need to install a few but want to read on them from users if it's out there.

dmaxvaz

wannabe puller
Nov 22, 2006
METRO DETROIT
i just pulled mine out tonight, it croaked in a couple of hrs. Maybe mine is a fluke, i will be getting mine swapped for another one next week. Keep in mind you will need a regulator for this pump that will set you back another couple of hundred bucks , and some -10 fittings. I spent around 700 bucks on this setup, i should have just got a FASS or an AIRDOG and wouldve been done with it, but i had to do something more exotic:joker:

Last edited:

madmatt

Apr 12, 2009
"the mecca"
www.facebook.com
i just pulled mine out tonight, it croaked in a couple of hrs. Maybe mine is a fluke

yeah thats really odd. I've never heard of any issue with one of these. How di you have it wired? If you have it wired to run high speed or on a switch (how we did ours) and have it set to high speed, keep in mind, you should only run high speed for a few minutes at a time when needed. Never just sit around idling with the pump running on high. that will burn them up in a heartbeat. The reg we run was about $140, we bought steel fittings instead of using the fancy aluminum high $$$ pieces and shaved some money too. Find a Parker hose store for the fitting and hose.

dmaxvaz

wannabe puller
Nov 22, 2006
METRO DETROIT
yeah thats really odd. I've never heard of any issue with one of these. How di you have it wired? If you have it wired to run high speed or on a switch (how we did ours) and have it set to high speed, keep in mind, you should only run high speed for a few minutes at a time when needed. Never just sit around idling with the pump running on high. that will burn them up in a heartbeat. The reg we run was about $140, we bought steel fittings instead of using the fancy aluminum high $$$ pieces and shaved some money too. Find a Parker hose store for the fitting and hose.
i had it wired at the "low" setting, and it was on a hobbs switch to run at 10psi of boost

Colt

Jul 23, 2010
A Raptor costs 5 bones and has tinny fittings so I would go this way and just put a regulator on. Jegs.com has fittings for a good price considering they'll do a nice job and last with a class look. I just wanted to see the user poll talk on this brand it sounds like a good option. Thanks for the help I'll need to get it this winter in a project. Putting pieces together as they fall in line.

dmaxvaz

wannabe puller
Nov 22, 2006
METRO DETROIT
A Raptor costs 5 bones and has tinny fittings so I would go this way and just put a regulator on. Jegs.com has fittings for a good price considering they'll do a nice job and last with a class look. I just wanted to see the user poll talk on this brand it sounds like a good option. Thanks for the help I'll need to get it this winter in a project. Putting pieces together as they fall in line.

i was on the phone with them on Fri, (fuel lab) and they tried to blame me for cavitating the pump, because i had run a 2 micron diesel filter before the pump, and that i should have run a 75 micron before the pump per their instructions (which was really 7 microns). That would mean that sand would be okay passing through the pump? They then realized that its high flow, and it was okay. I got a rma #, so we'll see how they handle this. FASS or AIRDOG, i have found out, that they have a lifetime warranty.

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
i was on the phone with them on Fri, (fuel lab) and they tried to blame me for cavitating the pump, because i had run a 2 micron diesel filter before the pump, and that i should have run a 75 micron before the pump per their instructions (which was really 7 microns). That would mean that sand would be okay passing through the pump? They then realized that its high flow, and it was okay. I got a rma #, so we'll see how they handle this. FASS or AIRDOG, i have found out, that they have a lifetime warranty.

in the long run it is just easier to run a Diesel built specific pump... bummer to hear it failed

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Fuel lab has worked great for me

I don't recommend it for everyone but it does has a place in some setups that it will surpass a fass or ad by a long shot!
Vas you ran it without the reg that was prob the reason for it burning up. Sorry you had issues butbit does say in the instructions that it is needed.

The fittings fwiw are orb not a/n and as matt posted you can get for cheap if u don't use race shops for your parts.

Like I said they are not for everyone, fass and ad is plug and play and have done the work for you IMO fl is more for a custom set up. Jmho

madmatt

Apr 12, 2009
"the mecca"
www.facebook.com
some of my parts and plumbing,,, the rest is top secret!!! lol shit's top notch! Also, why would you not run the 2 micron after the pump? These things are primarily designed to push not pull fuel. we use the recommended 75 micron SS prefilter and have been problem free.
44422_427175487837_502977837_4828735_6122803_n.jpg

44422_427175487837_502977837_4828735_6122803_n.jpg

45810_427176037837_502977837_4828746_8201354_n.jpg

Colt

Jul 23, 2010
Nice kit it's sure one that grabs my attention with what I was trying to picture with a similar idea that holds up to diesel. They warranty it so that's nice. Can you see a trend for street users going to this Madmax? I believe it was back a ways comp guys are into this and Mitusa also. I'll stop the questions and listen now Thank you for the pics and list. Helps alot doing a list and form idea for placement.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
After seeing how the Fuelab ran on Sweetdiesel's race truck, I will be buying another one for my own truck when my KD quits working or I do my engine swap-whatever comes first.
I think Fuelab and Aeromotive are the best pumps to use for anyone serious about racing/sled pulling just due to the options they give you for custom set-ups.

madmatt

Apr 12, 2009
"the mecca"
www.facebook.com
Honestly, no I don't see these becoming the hot item for street trucks. Simply because for most street trucks and owners, a simple one size fits all package that may not have the performance specs of these pumps, does fit the bill and work nicely for most without the added labor and trips to the local hose shop getting fittings and hose. These are for people who are either driving rigs that demand a LOT of fuel, want better control of fuel pressure or want the cleaner look of a custom fuel system without having filters and large one piece systems sticking out and hanging down everywhere.
Myself, I'll never run anything else.

Norcaldrifter

Stuck..
Aug 20, 2010
San Diego
I have a fuelab 42401 I was selling. Might run it on my dmax. I was using it on my supra but I got rid of it. When it was on the supra it was rebuilt 3 times. If it even feels like it's close to maybe getting a spec of dirt close to it it will lock. You cannot run anything lower than the 75micron before it. I just need a regulator. I have a fuel water separator and I was thinking of getting a cat filter setup.

dmaxvaz

wannabe puller
Nov 22, 2006
METRO DETROIT
Fuel lab has worked great for me

I don't recommend it for everyone but it does has a place in some setups that it will surpass a fass or ad by a long shot!
Vas you ran it without the reg that was prob the reason for it burning up. Sorry you had issues butbit does say in the instructions that it is needed.

The fittings fwiw are orb not a/n and as matt posted you can get for cheap if u don't use race shops for your parts.

Like I said they are not for everyone, fass and ad is plug and play and have done the work for you IMO fl is more for a custom set up. Jmho
i ran the pump without a regulator for less than 10 seconds before it blew the plug out of the bottom of the stock fuel filter, i called it quits until i put the fuel psi regulator (the night before the dyno day).

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
i ran the pump without a regulator for less than 10 seconds before it blew the plug out of the bottom of the stock fuel filter, i called it quits until i put the fuel psi regulator (the night before the dyno day).

Did you run a pre-filter?

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.

yes, a lage CAT filter 2 micron

Sorry I missed your previous post and I agree with fuelab that the -2 micron may have caused it to cavitate.
But where do you get that -75micron is really a -7micron?:confused: Or did the instructions say -7 even though they meant -75.

For those that don't know how big a micron is in comparison to real world stuff:
Diameter of average human hair 70 microns
Lower limit of visibility (naked eye) 40 microns
White blood cells 25 microns
Talcum powder 10 microns
Red blood cells 8 microns
Bacteria 2 microns
Carbon black 0.6 microns
Tobacco smoke 0.5 microns

dmaxvaz

wannabe puller
Nov 22, 2006
METRO DETROIT
News- the pump did not cavitate, it was something wrong with the circuit boards. they said the delay was the company sending them the new correct ones. Its been a month, and no pump:mad: I wanted to take the truck to the track one last time, there will always be next year.