Filter Wrench Recommendations

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
I've currently got a filter wrench that is the adjustable steel band type that tightens or loosens depending on which way you put it on the filter. It has the swivel handle.

I like it real well for removing the oil, trans spin-on and fuel filters. Problem is, in an effort to remove a really tight filter at an odd angle, I bent the handle. I straightened it back out but it's weaker now and tries to bend even on moderately tight filters if the handle isn't perfectly straight. So, I'm looking to get another one and am wondering what you all have and if you like it not. Also, which ones to stay away from.

I also have one of those strap type that use a rubber strap wrapped around the filter and tighten down with the handle. I don't like real well because on tight filters the way the handle works, it starts to crush the side of the filter in making it even harder to get off.

I used to use the hard plastic ones that are like a socket and use a ratchet wrench on my s-10 filters back in the day and it worked well for that but haven't found one to fit the oil filters on our trucks and even then, it's not versatile like the one I currently have as it won't get the fuel filter and spin on alli filter off.

I've never tried the ones that are like mine with the metal band but use a ratchet to tighten or loosen.

Just looking for thoughts and opinions and what you guys use/prefer/hate.

TIA! :beer

Last edited:

maxaholic

Dec 6, 2008
Central, Texas
I've got one from napa that uses a nylon strap that you wrap around the filter and use a ratchet on. I love it and it's the only filter wrench I use. It will bend the filter a little on tough ones, but you just keep cranking and it will come off.

MMLMM

Tunergeek
Mar 2, 2008
Reno, NV
www.dyncal.com
craftsman_universal_oil_filter_wrench_2638491_175.jpg

Craftsman Filter wrench, uses a 3/4" socket or a 3/8" drive ratchet.

Works awesome on our trucks for the oil filter and spin-on, not so well on the fuel filter, but it should only be hand tight as I have never needed wrench to change my fuel filter.

Last edited:

wes06dmax

Feb 23, 2009
South Central Kentucky
I have a old leather belt I slip over the fuel filter and I put it to when I pull the belt it gets tighter and it usally spins right on around its been the easyiest and cheapest way I have found, they are still some that is a pain to get off though I have seen some that will make a preacher cuss

SSchmi5519

LLY Cult Leader
Oct 19, 2008
Arizona

PhilsLB7

Way Better Than Facebook
Jun 29, 2009
Tennessee
I use a cap wrench from OEM Industrial (Oil Filter "C") for the AC Delco oil filter and a pair of large jaw Vise-Grips for the trans and fuel filter.

05' Ditry Duramax

May 3, 2008
Port Orchard Washington
I have a filter cup set from Mac tools. Works really well but sometimes it can be a real PITA to get the cup off the filter. I also have a nylon strap type that use if I can't get the cup type to work(fuel filter). It has spots for 3/8 or 1/2 inch drive wratchets. I like the strap because you can get into some tight spots and put a lot of torque on that filter.

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
I have the Strap one from NAPA. It makes fuel filters easy. I can do a fuel filter by my self from the top with the strap and a 12" extension. It will also wrap around the BIG amsoil bypass filter.

JMDuramaxLB7

YOU SAID MEMBER!!!
Jun 3, 2007
Missouri
I am like Mike on my fuel filter, just take it on and off by hand. I use a bigger band style filter wrench on my oil filter and a smaller one on my tranny filter. My dad owns a auto repair shop so there are plenty of styles of filter wrenchs in various sizes to choose from.