Fiberglass Panels

valleyduramax

Jul 25, 2010
Ottawa ON Canada
Bored and figured i would start a post about the few options available for the GMT800 bodies. All of the following is based on a street/play truck.

I guess my first question is are the fiberglass doors considered a no no for still street driven trucks? This mainly pertains to safety compared factory doors. I realize that the doors may be flimsy at higher speeds based off the competition trucks that run them and needing latches around upper edge of door. And would the factory glass even fit with the manual roll down assembly?

Second, can the fiberglass stock style bed panels be used as a replacement for the steel bedsides and retain the full box?

Third, can the stock style front fenders be used as a replacement for factory steel assuming the inner fender structure has to be retained for mounting/support of factory under hood parts?

Maybe these fiberglass options are not even worth the hassle unless they are durable enough to handle part time general use as i am unaware of how thick or how many layers these generally are.

The reason for all these questions is that i am in process of rust repair and if some of these are an option instead of steel then it could be a great alternative.

The options i see for these are mainly GTS and

https://www.artfiberglass.com/auto/2005chevySilverado.html

Sent from my SM-G991W using Tapatalk

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
No sir, track only! I have glass frontend and doors and bedside on my proMod and I wouldn't even remotely think about using that stuff on the street.

valleyduramax

Jul 25, 2010
Ottawa ON Canada
Ok that is good to know then! So its not made to the same durability level of the pre- runner style fenders then?

I was really hoping the fenders and bedsides would work for replacement of the rusted fsctory skins but if not then I can just get new steel ones!

Sent from my SM-G991W using Tapatalk

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
the prerunner bulge fender are about 3 times as thick as the drag race style fenders to semi hold up to off road abuse (even then, they dont hold up).

Reactions: MarkBroviak