Failed LBZ oil pump

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I'll have to check on that, is it stamped somewhere? Glove box or something?I don't have the paper tag on the head anymore. I can get the block serial number though. Iirc it was like 726,000.

open drivers door, look for sticker on the door edge just below the mechanical latch. should have mfg date: 02/06 or 12/05 or something to that affect on it. thats your build date.

Squaremaxfan

Mar 4, 2021
Back to the oil pump topic!
I was in the middle of replacing mine with a pump I purchased online at (dynamicperformancetuning.com) ended up having right hand thread and the old one had left hand thread. Can I run it?
My mechanic that is helping me work on it suggested to get the correct one due to it possibly spinning loose! Any thoughts or suggestions please,

Squaremaxfan

Mar 4, 2021
Ok, so should I get the correct one or can you do something to stop that from happening and still use the right handed thread?

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
You certainly can run the pump, it just is not what GM designed for that engine. The difference is early pumps were RH thread, later pumps were LH thread starting with the LBZ engines. The oil output volume remained the same 01-10. Regardless of LH or RH thread I would pin the pump and shim the relief. Pinning in my opinion removes the main selling point of the LBZ/LMM pumps.

Squaremaxfan

Mar 4, 2021
You certainly can run the pump, it just is not what GM designed for that engine. The difference is early pumps were RH thread, later pumps were LH thread starting with the LBZ engines. The oil output volume remained the same 01-10. Regardless of LH or RH thread I would pin the pump and shim the relief. Pinning in my opinion removes the main selling point of the LBZ/LMM pumps.
So the nut won't back off for any reason? That's what I've heard is a issue!