Dual Disk questions

z79outlaw

Apr 20, 2007
Salem WI
I know it aint going in a duramax, but I have the NV4500 in my 98 and I'm putting a 12v cummins in it as soon as I get a bellhousing and have just been trying to research a little on clutches, I'm going to go with a dual disk, either a Valair or a SBC, well when I get the motor going at first its not going to be all out, because I just cant afford to do 100 things at once. But that will come as I get a chance within a few months, but 1st priority is getting it running and driving.

So my question is am I going to run into any problems running a "overbuilt" clutch? I was thinkin maybe the SBC sled puller 3850, with the 1 3/8 and hydrualic upgrade. That clutch according to the website is rated for 750HP is assume thats at the rear wheels, well for the first few weeks until I get some more cash for injectors and everything else its just gunna be stock with just a fuel plate. Will I be ok? and is there anyone I should purchase it from? anyone that offers discounting or you guys just have had good experience with?

Jun 22, 2008
Nebraska
Yeah,I'd definately run a SBC dual disc. I have one in my 01 and one sitting here to go in my 03.I can't tell ya about pressure plates but get Feramic if you plan to sledpull. My Ceramics work good but they a bit are jumpy at times.
Best to buy them from John {Deadeye over on DP}. I'll try to get him over here too as he's a friend of mine. He's a good guy. Pat and Kat can vouch that cause they've met him. PM me and I'll get you his number. Tell him you are a member and tell him I sent ya.

Last edited:

05_LLY

Out-A-Time
Aug 7, 2006
Norvelt, PA
Yeah I would recomend a SBC as well. Some of my buddies that run the 3850 say they a re a bit much to daily drive, but thats just oppinion. IIRC the dmax plates are3400lb load.

Codyn is a SBC dealer here as well!

Later
Caleb

z79outlaw

Apr 20, 2007
Salem WI
They have a 3600lb one too, I guess just some more things I'll have to ask about when I call either deadeye or codyn this week somtime probably. It wont be a daily driver, I plan on buying a d-max for that. But it'll be a fire up on Friday tear up the country side, go to 10 - 20 pulls a year, cruise into town, and park on Sunday truck. I'm new to the cummins so I'm still doing as much research as I can, but basically my plans are to just put down 600 rwhp on #2 with a single charger (for a little while). I dont know if that possible or not, but that'll be the goal for now, until I find out otherwise.

Thanks for the help guys

z79outlaw

Apr 20, 2007
Salem WI
Just ordered the 3850 12 button dual disk Feramic from CodyN, good guy I think he gave me a good deal too, I cant complain.

JOHNBOY

< Rocking the Big Single!
Aug 30, 2006
Saegertown, Pa
Buying more clutch than you need is a good thing. I know a lot of people that bought single disks only to buy a dual disk shortly after.

05_LLY

Out-A-Time
Aug 7, 2006
Norvelt, PA
Buying more clutch than you need is a good thing. I know a lot of people that bought single disks only to buy a dual disk shortly after.

Yeah thats usually the case! i even think about going bigger but i have yet to have problems, and i dont want to go to much cause it will probally always want to peter out on the line!!!!

JOHNBOY

< Rocking the Big Single!
Aug 30, 2006
Saegertown, Pa
Yeah thats usually the case! i even think about going bigger but i have yet to have problems, and i dont want to go to much cause it will probally always want to peter out on the line!!!!

My clutch seems good but that Triple disk sure sounds sexy! I have the motor and trans out now. Thinking hard about trying that puppy out.:)

Jun 22, 2008
Nebraska
I'm sure thinking about trying that triple disc when I need to replace my dual disc. 90K and still holding good. Going to see a lot of hooks this summer.