drop shackle bolts...

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
I went to lower my truck by changeing shackles but i could get out the top bolts on either shackle. I wound up grinding them off and beating them out. The bottoms came out fine. I think the bolts are metric but anyways i could find replacment bolts anywhere. I went to home depot and picked up 4 1/2 long 1/2 grade 8 bolts. These are a touch small then the one in there but i wanted to know if they should work ok and not break? if not who can get me the factory bolts?

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
I dont really know I would assume grade 8's would hold up. For future reference you have to put the spring straight up towards the bed and take the bolt out over the top of the frame. The springs are heavy so i use a ratchet strap to hold it up while i remove/install the bolts. And penetrating lube is your friend on these trucks :D

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
I dont really know I would assume grade 8's would hold up. For future reference you have to put the spring straight up towards the bed and take the bolt out over the top of the frame. The springs are heavy so i use a ratchet strap to hold it up while i remove/install the bolts. And penetrating lube is your friend on these trucks :D

I tried all of that. my problem is the bolts would not come out. I had plenty of room but the shank of the bolt rusted and i couldnt get them out. I tried all kind of oil and hammers but they wouldnt come out. So i had to cut them.

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
haha you need better oil! ill ask my buddy who owns a big rig shop what they use. that and a good air tool hasnt failed to free anything we have ran across.

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
Yes I understand, good lube, small air hammer. Buzz anything like that right out. Just trying to help a fellow enthusiast out:hug:

thanks man, i wish i woulda knew before i hacked them off :eek:. I well the grade 8 bolts went in great along with the new shocks. The truck has such a better stance now :) They dont give you much room to work up in there though. Them old bolts are a b!tch and i always have an itchy grinder finger :D might have to invest in a air hammer for next time.