Deadheaded lift pump

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
I was talking to someone recently about my MITUSA lift pump, and realized that the blow off from the 12psi regulator actually goes back to the input of the pump instead of running a line back to the tank; this is how Opie set it up, I didn't come up with the design. My pump lasted about 8 years, so obviously it wasn't a huge problem, but I'm wondering what the collective opinion on this might be? I could either leave it alone, or plumb it back to the tank. New pump is arriving tomorrow, so I'll be dicking with it anyway soon :) Am I overthinking this making for a lot of hot diesel and pump wear, or is it no biggie?

Dvierra86

May 30, 2016
Going back to the tank might help keep the fuel temp a little lower rather then recirculating fuel over and over and over but I may be wrong

2006 CCLB DRW 6"fabtech 35"s 4.11 w/arb sdp 475 over stock 30% ii nozzles fass150 built trans

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
there is no turning down the pressure; it's a fixed 12lbs regulator with no adjustment.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
I installed the pump in 2009 or 2010 and it's always used the same 12psi regulator. Lately I've noticed lower pressure at idle than usual. I swapped to the 12mm and it's actually showing vacuum at idle, though by 1100 rpm I'm back up and holds fine even at WFO. I called up Glacier Diesel, since Rich makes a similar kit for the Cummins, and he said that the pump is shot; housing gets eaten by the shaft. He sold me one of his pumps to swap into my setup, but opined that maybe I'd want to reroute the setup to include a tank return.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
he just kicked it around a little. He said it isn't the best situation to put the pump in, but it did last a long time, and he said there's a lot of power to be made from cold air and hot diesel. So, I figured I'd throw it around here a little and see what folks think.