LML Cracked Front Diff..Fixable?

snowman22

Jan 30, 2018
SoCal
Today when I was under the truck getting ready to install new tie rods, U joints, and other things to make a 4wd launch possible, I found a little surprise waiting for me....I hate finding broken things when I don't have a good story to go with it!

The crack is weeping oil, but not dropping. This 4wd world is new to me and I haven't opened a front diff on these trucks. The crack looks like it could be welded, but I don't exactly know where are the bearing races are in this thing.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• Front Diff.jpg
    Front Diff.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 142
  • Front Diff 2.jpg
    Front Diff 2.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 121

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
it will need to be taken apart to be welded and thats assuming someone can weld it. those cast aluminum diffs retain oil and its a nightmare for a TIG welder to weld them. may be best to source a good used one to drop in

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
If a diff from a 2500hd gasser is the same which I'm assuming it is if it's a 263 then I have one in phoenix,AZ I'll sell you. Pm me if you are interested and I can get more info off of it.

Hambone

Always learning
Jan 24, 2016
Florida
The gasser might be a 4:10 ratio though?
Yes you could weld it but like James said it’s a pain in the butt and if your going to be launching it I would not recommend welding!
The weld itself would be fine but the area surrounding it becomes compromised

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
The gasser might be a 4:10 ratio though?
Yes you could weld it but like James said it’s a pain in the butt and if your going to be launching it I would not recommend welding!
The weld itself would be fine but the area surrounding it becomes compromised

I'd have to look, either way it's a good case...

snowman22

Jan 30, 2018
SoCal
Well, for all of you having a bad day, here is a little humor for you....:roflmao:

So.. I was about as confident as possible the diff case was cracked. So I got a good deal on a new GM diff, half axles, basically just missing the solenoid. Between the time it was going to take to remove and source a new case I couldn't afford the downtime. So I purchased the part before having the old one on the bench.

Well, after getting the new one, the crack I thought I had, must be a casting line and not a crack. It looks like the last oil change a little oil followed the line and made it appear it was weeping at the lowest point. Attached is a picture of the new diff that showed up today.

P.S. if anyone needs a front diff, PM me!

Attachments

• New Diff.jpg
    New Diff.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Ya know, I was thinking it might been a casting line but the damn pics made it look just like a crack and that oil was rather convincing. Maybe you can return it?

snowman22

Jan 30, 2018
SoCal
Ya know, I was thinking it might been a casting line but the damn pics made it look just like a crack and that oil was rather convincing. Maybe you can return it?

Seriously, damn oil!

The people I got it from made me too angry with the shipping logistics. Ill use it to hold a door open before I try and send it back to them!

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
That sucks. I wondered about it being crack, but figured it was just the the fact I was looking at a picture.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk