Convertor ???'s and what to get ???

BigWill_21

~BULL HURLEY Look-A-Like~
Aug 28, 2006
Greenville, NC
Well the only thing holding me from getting serious is a Transmission... I am not returning my core, I plan to keep it and have it built as a Suncoast IV by someone!!!

I have Messaged with MIKE L. in the past and he has pointed me toward the 1056 convertor, since I really only would go to the strip 1-2 times a month and maybe do a pull 1-2 times a year!!!

I plan on SC V w/ 1056 ( I Guess???), Brace, and Mike L. Cooler along with C3 Oiler Mod. , I am also concerned with the T-case wear issue as well!!!!

I have a post-lift in the shop and several tranny jacks so I am not worried about the tools of the install as much as the PHYSICAL TRANNY-T-case install as I have never doen a Tranny isntall as extensive as this would be!!! Also fixing the t-case pump wear thing is a big worry.

ANYONE HAVE ANY INPUT OR OPINIONS on whether I cna handle this instal or not???

THANKS,
WILL

:);):D:joker:

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
If you are mechanicaly inclined and are not a sloppy person and know how to read, you can do this and I can help you.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
there are pretty good install instructions posted on DieselPlace for Eric's Pump Rub Fix kit in the DIY section also. Doesn't look too bad. It would be comforting to let Eric and Mike know when you are going to be doing the isntall so that hopefully one of them can answer their phone and help you out in the event that you need assistance.

BigWill_21

Aug 28, 2006
Greenville, NC
Well MIKE, Are there any Particular tools I would need, that a fairly well equipped shop woudl not have... I.E. GM Stupid-Tools????

Anything in particular besides the regular Mechanics tools???

Also, do you still think the 1056 is the best way to go???

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Well MIKE, Are there any Particular tools I would need, that a fairly well equipped shop woudl not have... I.E. GM Stupid-Tools????

Anything in particular besides the regular Mechanics tools???

Also, do you still think the 1056 is the best way to go???

Call me when you get time. 310 674 4400-shop, 310 918 9678-cell after 5pm.

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC
Will, i am 5'10 150lbs and i did the r+r of my tranny and tcase, it was cake, the hardest part was the damn converter bolts but if you have a long tranny extension it will easy, dont fear it

TYREBOYZ_DEMAXIN

The Tire Frier
Jun 13, 2007
Barnesville OH
i can tell you it is awesome having a tranny underneath you doing all the hard work not even complaining unlike my stock tranny witch would complain every time i made it work...

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
You will have no problems. I did mine in two days (I worked few hours at a time). I weigh about 165 and wrestling the tranny wasnt easy (make sure your truck is high enough off the ground) I had to lift the alli onto the trans jack while under my truck because I didnt have it lifted high enough.

duramaxin14

Just Keeping Up
May 25, 2007
Wauchula fl
D

If mike L sayed to get the 1056 then get it for people that are more into racing every thursday night like me and pull everytime u get a chance then the 1057 would be the best for u

BigWill_21

Aug 28, 2006
Greenville, NC
I was under the impression that the 1057 is not a pulling Convertor???

How would you know, anyway???? You are STOCK TRANNY remember???? :cool2:

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
i pull 13000lb trailers with my 1057 and 35"tires

i like the idea of the staps for a safety precation as i to know what its like to bench press the alli ( will im sure you can handle it :D) but its also akward

the long extension for the converter bolts was very handy and i dropped the starter

also the 7" lift was high enough to get the stock out but wasnt high enough to get the new one in with the deep pan just something to keep in mind

i really think this was a easier job than installing the lift kit and there are good instructions with lots of people to help just take your time
thankfully i had a good friend to help me:grd:

BigWill_21

Aug 28, 2006
Greenville, NC
Well , I have post lift so I am nto worried about that... I also have Air over Oil Hydralic tranny jack that goes from 42" - 70" IIRC...

I am not worried about the PHYSICAL holding the tranny... I just don't know alot about the INSTALL... I would say I am very technically capable as a mechanic.. I have done 15+ suspension lift installs and been in on numerous more, I also did a S.A.S on my 1990 GMC and put 1-ton axles under it!!!

I just don't have much TRANNY work under my belt!!! I'd hate to mess up a $6,000 tranny becuase I torqued the bell-housign wrong, or didn't lock the convertor in or soemthign like that???

BTW: What kind of Warranty would a SC V carry if I install it??? ANYWAY???

Well, MIKE pointed me tot he 1056, So i'll tlak more with him via TELEPHONE on that issue.