computer about to suffer bullet wound

Chevmeister

Big Dooley
Dec 3, 2010
Garnet Valley, Pa
I need some help before I shoot 18 holes in my computer.
HP Pavilion A6720Y
amd x4 9550 2.2 i believe
6 gb ram
9100 onboard
almost 2 years old
been folding smp for 1.5 months

PC boots to black screen, no responce to anything I do, safe mode, recovery, doesnt matter even trying to restore from home server I get a black screen. Where can I go for awnsers. I initiallty thought hard drive, but durrign boot it acts strange. Fans and harddrive spin up then shut off 3x with a 1-2 second pause between each before it finally boots to the black screen on the 4th start. My google fu revealed next to nothing in the way of a solution. where can i look for awnsers.

Big Angry

<--My idea of a good time
Sep 3, 2006
South Central Pa
My HP took a dump on me yesterday morning. I did some searching, seems like a common problem with HP laptops, not sure if it's worth to fix (beyond my skill level for sure) or just get another computer (NON HP this time).:mad:

C.C.Reed

May 1, 2008
In Safe Mode, you still get a blank screen. . . or does it hang when loading and go to a blank screen?

C.C.Reed

May 1, 2008
I know this is frustrating but here is my first shot at troubleshooting it without being there.

I don't know sh*t by the way.

:confused:

Boot to Safe Mode and as it starts to go through the load log unplug all USB devices, keyboard, and mouse.

Watch to see if it gets to MUP.sys and then goes blank. If it does, just leave everything unplugged and let it sit. It may go ahead and load after a few minutes. If it does, it will say "Windows has recovered from a fatal error" after it loads. Then, plug everything back in and go on as usual. Sometimes this is all it takes and it will work fine from now on. . . or you may have to do it every time it powers on.

Hopefully, this will work as it is a common Windows problem. If not, we'll try something else.

Poltergeist

Ghost in the Machine
Aug 1, 2006
Ontario, Calif.
www.poltergeist.us
To me it sounds like something happened to the video card portion of board (guessing its built in to the mobo). I think when Windows get to point where it tries to load the driver and bring up the resolution the video takes a dump. If you have one try adding a video card. You might have to go into the bios and disable the onboard video.