LB7: Change valve spring yes or no?

Sep 10, 2008
Morehead City, North Carolina
As soon as I get my stage II cp3 back from John @ Floor It diesel (which has been multiple months of bs saying it's ready since week b4 Thanksgiving and still not shipped yet) I will also have a set of 45% overs installed from Exergy. I've read changing valve springs makes a huge difference. Does that benefit the "built motor guys" only? I know in a gas motor you usually change springs due to a camshaft swap b/c of increased lift....

Thanks

GeneralTJI

Turbo Todd
Jun 1, 2010
Colorado
High rpm and/or high boost can create the need to heavier springs. Too much of either of those conditions can cause the valves to float. I don't know exactly where this happens exactly but I remember seeing a truck do a before and after and he picked up 90-100hp. Of course that was reving to 4k and under big boost (around a 900hp truck I believe). I would image smaller results on something pushing less boost/rpm but I would think it would help out.

Colt

Jul 23, 2010
Thought Trent posted somewhere here on it that he likes heavy springs at that hi power level to stop floating and power loss from that. Maybe it was ol' Dmitri I know they were on the topic and it seemed to be a chosen advantage to go heavier springs by the opinions there. Kind of seems right at big boost and hi revs stock has to get soft.

Rhall

Old Skooler
Aug 12, 2006
Texas Y'all
As soon as I get my stage II cp3 back from John @ Floor It diesel (which has been multiple months of bs saying it's ready since week b4 Thanksgiving and still not shipped yet) I will also have a set of 45% overs installed from Exergy. I've read changing valve springs makes a huge difference. Does that benefit the "built motor guys" only? I know in a gas motor you usually change springs due to a camshaft swap b/c of increased lift....

Thanks

Kinda off topic, but i live not too far away from John, im friends with a lot of people that deal with him on a daily basis. I can try and get ahold of him, or one of them to see whats going on if you like?

Diesel power

Jun 2, 2008
maryland
Valve springs are always a good upgrade for any engine. over time springs get weak and valve accuracy is not what it once was. Accuracy is the name of the game, no matter what the HP level.

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
Like many said, you have nothing to lose from a stiffer spring to keep that valve accurate. When my heads come off they will get heavier springs, I don't really want to do them with the heads in the truck.

Colt

Jul 23, 2010
Any stab at a kinda costs X$$ to do heads with valves and springs with machine shop time too? Why not consider if studs are on recipe to do gotta ask after reading this. Thanks if anyone has one quick just ball park cost.

Colt

Jul 23, 2010
Thanks big spgs. look like a go for twins job. Just pull the trigger and do that and studs too. Then it's good.