Cal Tracs preload

jpowel29

Feb 1, 2008
Bentonville, Arkansas
For anyone running a 2wd truck and Cal Tracs (or 4wd for that matter) - Does anyone try to preload one side more than the other? I am just about ready to start to Test & Tune my truck and want to try getting it dialed in (closer). I have not made any passes yet so I can only guess as to how my truck will react coming off the line.

Thanks
John

MAXLLY

No Lemming Here
Aug 15, 2007
San Diego
Interesting thought idea...

I think you wanna start out square and see what she does out of the hole.

Then adjust from a "baseline" so you know where you started.

I wonder how much you could control launch attitude if you loosened the spring shackles and located the axle housing/pinion with the cal-tracs and somewhat set the angles with the leaf springs..... Thinking out loud.

05_LLY

Out-A-Time
Aug 7, 2006
Norvelt, PA
I run 4x4 but i leave mine about 1/4 inch up off of the spring. I tried running them tight, it just seemed to make the rear end looser.

jpowel29

Feb 1, 2008
Bentonville, Arkansas
Thanks for the feedback guys.

From what I have read about these being used in high HP cars is that running a slight gap makes the rear suspension "hit" harder at launch. For the first few runs I will likely set these up with a slight gap.

The Neens

BFD
Staff member
Aug 10, 2006
Monrovia, Ca.
Thanks for the feedback guys.

From what I have read about these being used in high HP cars is that running a slight gap makes the rear suspension "hit" harder at launch. For the first few runs I will likely set these up with a slight gap.

Keep in mind that once you start to powerbrake at the starting line, the bars will probably move...Simulate a launch in a safe area (off-highway only ;)) and have someone watch what the pin does...Adjust accordingly...