LB7: Aux oil cooler

Mike_S

OOPS!
Nov 18, 2009
Idaho
I'm planning to add a secondary Engine oil cooler to my truck. I already have a remote bypass filter system, so it will just be a matter of some more hose and a mounting bracket for the cooler. Question is, at what point (size of cooler) would I be causing issues due to over cooling the engine oil? If I could get some suggestions on the size of cooler to run, or what size anyone has already run that would be great. :thumb:

Mike

GeneralTJI

Turbo Todd
Jun 1, 2010
Colorado
A thermostat setup wouldn't be a bad idea. The setup I use on my car has it built right into the adapter that goes on the block (to replace the factory oil cooler). But I'm sure there is something out there that would work?

schulte

Jul 31, 2010
CT
The biggest problem you'll have is in winter when it's real cold out, it'll take a long long time to warm up. You shouldn't really have a problem once it's already warm.

You want to shoot for 170-190 degree oil temps, IMO.

Mike_S

OOPS!
Nov 18, 2009
Idaho
You would be surprised how high oil temp are

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Bingo!

I like this, thermostatic valves are always a good idea. Now its just a matter of deciding what size of cooler would be appropriate for mid summer 100* days. and for the life of me, I cannot remember if the oil flows through the cooler or the filter first...don't want to send the oil through the aux cooler first and then back through the nice hot engine coolant.

Also, Jake, you remember what my engine looked like inside, after spending that much time and money rebuilding the damn thing I'm just trying to take away as many of its possible excuses to go down again. This seems like cheap insurance to me. :thumb:

DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7

<----new hotness
Jan 17, 2010
idaho
shop.dieselmafiaperformance.com
Also, Jake, you remember what my engine looked like inside, after spending that much time and money rebuilding the damn thing I'm just trying to take away as many of its possible excuses to go down again. This seems like cheap insurance to me. :thumb:

what oil were you running???? :thumb: i think that has more to do with it then you think(i'l probably start a shit storm but o well :rolleyes:) but it couldnt hurt anything by doing this though:D