Are aftermarket leveling kits REALLY worth it?

KRATOCT

Aug 22, 2011
I have a 2016 Silverado 2500HD LML. It's the Z71 midnight edition which sounds like it may play into the shock selection. In previous trucks (LMM) I ran the full 4" lift from Tough Country to keep the CV's flat and the kit was great but not necessary for this truck. I hate the rake but it wouldn't be worth doing the full lift on this truck since I don't plan on getting aftermarket wheels this time and I would no longer be able to park it in the garage during the winter months. I'd like to level it up and bump up a tire size or two (Duratrac 275/have to confirm this #/18r) on it now and look way undersized(they are very worn). I would like to get into a 285 or 295 around 33-34" tall with very minimal to no rubbing. No trimming other than maybe the valance. (Did the Norcal fender mod to the LMM and don't want to do that to this truck).

The more I read on these forums, the more I hear people talking about just cranking stock keys to fit up to 35's on stock wheels. I plan on keeping stock wheels but don't need to go as big as 35's, just want the tires to look proportional. My original intentions (because i've always heard it was the most effective way and the right way) was to go with the Kryptonite stage 3 leveling kit and after talking with a tech from Kryptonite, I was told with the Z71, the Fox shocks will be better to avoid overextension. I'd also do the CCM diff drop if its worth it. (I was hoping to go with the Bilstein 5100's, had those with the 4" TC lift and they were great)

If this is the right thing to do to get it leveled, fit the desired tires and truly help ride quality and longevity of all steering and suspension components, then I can stick to my plan of going this route, but if I'm just throwing this $1200-1300 at it hoping I'll feel better about it but not actually be doing enough good to justify the cost, then I'll gladly take the money and throw it at tires.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
you wont get the answer your hoping for, here. put the lift on or leave it stock height or buy a 2020+ that comes with 34's stock and doesnt take much to level.

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
Just buy upper control arms, shocks. No need to get keys or any other bs people try to sell you. Only raise it an inch and enjoy your ride.

gmc502

Jan 16, 2011
I run 35x12.5 20's on a leveled truck,,rubs the hellwig sway bar a little.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I run 35x12.5 20's on a leveled truck,,rubs the hellwig sway bar a little.
On stock wheels? I know people that have done it on stockers.

Wheels are key here. I ran 295s on my 2015 without rubbing or cranking on stock wheels. Wider wheels or more offset changes things.