Anybody own or work at a Napa or parts store?

Big Chris

2 Duramaxes> 1 Duramax
Mar 30, 2010
Rives Junction MI
I've been having bad gelling issues anytime it gets below zero. I made my own dual fuel filter setup. I have a Napa 3418 water separator ( I don't know the micron rating of the filter) then it feeds into a Cat 1R-0750 fuel filter. Does Napa/Wix make a filter that would fit the same head as the Cat but filters less? Maybe it would be less likely to gell? I'm getting sick of gelling and couldn't get to work because of it today. Thanks

hrlyguy2

Dec 2, 2011
IL
I have Napa gold filter 3005 and 3528 fuel filters on my lift pump
Was having promblems gelling alot.Changed my filter on the motor to fleet guard and found a place not selling bio diesel.
Napa filters are good. and the last couple days its been 10-20 below zero .
I do use howes anti gel now too

hrlyguy2

Dec 2, 2011
IL
I have those napa filters on my Raptor.water separator and fuel filter.
Key for me I think was finding non bio .Had issues alot with gelling.
not once yet.And its Fn cold here

Big Chris

2 Duramaxes> 1 Duramax
Mar 30, 2010
Rives Junction MI
Thanks. I think I've been unlucky enough to get a couple bad tanks of fuel. I don't know if it has bio or not. I've never intentionally bought it. I thought it was a good station. I see a lot of school busses and POCO trucks filling there. This last tank that has given me problems in my LMM was a different station. I think I'm done with gas stations. I'm only going to truck stops from now on.

Maybe we have sh*tty fuel here in Jackson. Until this winter I hadn't gelled since 2005 when my LLY was still new.

PhilsLB7

Way Better Than Facebook
Jun 29, 2009
Tennessee
I think I'm done with gas stations. I'm only going to truck stops from now on.

Only problem with using truck stops around here is they are usually 20+ cents more per gallon than the local stations. About 5 or more years ago it was the other way around.

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
What is your thread sizes? What I did was go on frams or Baldwin website and cross reference the napa number and it came up with a bunch of matching filters

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
The threads for the filters I installed on Mikes truck (harlyguy) ar 14-1.Mike was running the plastic Puralator (same as the Napa plastic filter) and they gel or plug very easy.since he changed the filter to the larger Racor filter and he switched to non bio fuel he hasn't had a problem yet.

Big Chris

2 Duramaxes> 1 Duramax
Mar 30, 2010
Rives Junction MI
The filter isn't the problem... Gelling will plug anything. Do you use any Power service or Howes?

Religiously. I use Diesel Kleen every fill ip in the summer and I use white bottle PS at every fill up in the winter. Usually about 1/2 of a 100 gallon size bottle if it is "normal cold" and a whole 100gallon bottle if it is close to zero. 34 gallon tanks on the truck. I think I just got some bad fuel.

Big Chris

2 Duramaxes> 1 Duramax
Mar 30, 2010
Rives Junction MI
The threads for the filters I installed on Mikes truck (harlyguy) ar 14-1.Mike was running the plastic Puralator (same as the Napa plastic filter) and they gel or plug very easy.since he changed the filter to the larger Racor filter and he switched to non bio fuel he hasn't had a problem yet.

Thanks Scott. The cat filter has a 14-1 thread. It cross references with the napa 3528. Iirc my water separator is 12-1.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Bad fuel man... I have run my truck at -50F with a cat water separator 14 micron and a cat 3 micron primary. I have ran this same setup for 4 years and have never plugged it. I change the filters once a year, needed or not.

You want the best filters you can get in a high pressure common rail fuel system.

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
Albert those filters that Harlyguy has on his truck are 3 micron water sep 3 micron at 69% efficiency then the pump then a 2 micron absolute fuel filter after the pump.That is the best filtering I could find and they flow good Ive got some trucks running 11.xx 1/4 miles on that set up. Both filters are 14-1 base also. And the filters won't bust your wallet either and they are fairly easy to get.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Yep, best bang for your buck Scott. I run the 14 micron primary to knock the big chunks out and the tighter primary to get the rest. Guys need to realize that these Cat filters are for an industrial application (filthy). So in our trucks they last much longer and do a way better job than OEM. IIRC the delco filter is 8 micron. Anything down to 4 micron can cause wear & damage on injection components.