Air Filter Ideas

coldLBZ

Apr 22, 2007
Alberta, Canada
I just installed an AEM intake this afternoon. I took the truck for a drive and it actually seems a little slower compared to my modded stock air box. Plus the dryflow filter is huge, and fits pretty tight in there. I believe it's a 5" pipe that the filter clamps to. Does anyone have any ideas of a high flowing filter with good filtration? I would prefer to use an oil-less filter, but I'm open to suggestions. Thanks.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I was happy with my K&N in my stock airbox and now I have an S&B and it is fantastic.

How come you don't want an oiled filter?

coldLBZ

Apr 22, 2007
Alberta, Canada
I have heard good things about S&B. I was thinking more about them today actually. I just don't want to have to worry about MAF codes. Are they common with S&B? I found one that might work, as I don't want to buy an all new intake. S&B P/N RO891, 4.5" flange, 6.5" base OD, 5.25" top OD, 8" element height, 8ply. I would just have to find an adapter that will work with my 5" intake tube. Do you guys think this filter will flow enough? Thanks. :)

Unit453

How fast was I going?
Sep 20, 2008
Florida
thetruckstop.us
MAF codes are not common on LBZ's. I held out for a long time as well but I couldnt be happier with my S&B intake. Well worth the money and its the cheapest out there with the best filtration. I wish they made them for cars too.

Attachments

• HPIM1041.JPG
    HPIM1041.JPG
    351.1 KB · Views: 35

NemesisDP

Apr 20, 2008
Bloomfield New Mexico
I have ran all the filters out there for the LBZ except the AMSoil one and have been happiest with the Banks with the ramair installed. I have ran it for 30,000 miles and it didn't even suck the indicator in at all. This is running up and down dirt roads all the time where you can't even see the person infront of you from the dust. I ran a white rag down the intake tube to check it and it was clean clean:eek:. All the othe filters left a film on the inside or a little dusty with the dry filters. Just my two cents.

slowlmm

Mar 2, 2008
so cal
I have ran all the filters out there for the LBZ except the AMSoil one and have been happiest with the Banks with the ramair installed. I have ran it for 30,000 miles and it didn't even suck the indicator in at all. This is running up and down dirt roads all the time where you can't even see the person infront of you from the dust. I ran a white rag down the intake tube to check it and it was clean clean:eek:. All the othe filters left a film on the inside or a little dusty with the dry filters. Just my two cents.

S&B makes the banks filters :) i like my s&B as well. would only get the banks if you want the ram air option :)

coldLBZ

Apr 22, 2007
Alberta, Canada
I will have to try and get my hands on an S&B filter then. Thanks guys. :)

Edit: Is the part number of the filter in the kit KF-1035? If you don't mind, what are the dimensions of the filter? And the I.D. of the flange? I want to try and adapt this filter to my AEM tubing. Thanks again.

Last edited:

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
i have a k&n now with a filter skin and it gets filthy, when i took my stock turbo off last week the comp. wheel was super dull...most likely from dirty air:( but whether it was like that before the filter skin or not i do not know..it also had a modded stock filter and box for the first 25k miles and i am not sure of the wheel condition at the time of the swap-over to k&n...i am most likely going to try the amsoil filter with a filter condom next;)

motohed

dirty payback
Apr 15, 2008
escondido, ca
im in the same boat as coldLBZ. i don't know which filter to upgrade to from stock. orw and 4 wheel parts tell me the AFE. im leaning to the banks cuz of the sealed box. but also really like the specs and cheap price of the S&B... i feel your confusion:confused:

MMLMM

Tunergeek
Mar 2, 2008
Reno, NV
www.dyncal.com
im in the same boat as coldLBZ. i don't know which filter to upgrade to from stock. orw and 4 wheel parts tell me the AFE. im leaning to the banks cuz of the sealed box. but also really like the specs and cheap price of the S&B... i feel your confusion:confused:

First off you should talk to a dealer that specializes in Diesel parts, not 4 wheel, if there anything like in the stores they have here, good luck lol. There are good vendors on the site that can help you make the best choice for you and you will prolly get a better deal anyway.

Good luck with your selection. Banks is good, lots of research and ram air, except little pricey for a lot of people. S&B is a very good choice as well, especially for the money. I heard of multiple people getting codes with the AFE, so I went with the S&B and it has been great.

Again X2 on the S&B :)

LarryJewell

Back with his honey :)
Jan 21, 2007
San Angelo
I've been happiest with the Banks, others that I have personally used are the AFE and Volant. My son has a S & B on his Cummins and seems to like it, he was running the big honking air filer from Oreiley's prior to the S & B and said he noticed a SOTP difference when changing to the S & B.

NemesisDP

Apr 20, 2008
Bloomfield New Mexico
i agree that the S&B is a good filter it just didn't last as long inbetween cleanings. I drive alot of dirt roads and the banks works best for me. The wife ran the S&B on her truck for a while but it would throw a code every now and then. Put an AFE dry on it and it dose just fine for highway driven.

coldLBZ

Apr 22, 2007
Alberta, Canada
I might just ditch the AEM all together and go with an S&B. It's more money out of my pocket, but it will be worth it if the fit is better and the truck performs better. :eek:

coldLBZ

Apr 22, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Good to know Dale:) The part no. on the S&B site is 75-5013-1, but the parts place that I am ordering from only lists 75-5013. The S&B site says that the -1 is the newer one. Are they both the same?

coldLBZ

Apr 22, 2007
Alberta, Canada
I just installed the S&B about an hour ago and took it for a drive. It feels alot stronger now than with the AEM. No codes yet either, and I'm happy. :)