Adding a fuel pump and sump.

Gee8100

Jul 21, 2017
Elberta,Al
I am going to install a fuel pump along with a sump.
My question is has anyone used the factory draw straw for the return line for the air separator rather than cutting the filler tube and installing the tube in it.
When you have the sump installation the original draw tube is plugged off, just wondering if it could be used for the pumps bypass line.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
I wouldn't do that. The pressure from the fuel in the tank could restrict the flow too much and cause problems. Plus, I wouldn't want the air/hot fuel dumped into the tank near the sump..

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
My Lb7 is exactly like that. I've had no issues what so ever with it, and it's been like this since before I owned it

Muff

Just Learning
Oct 7, 2013
Butler, Pa
My question is has anyone used the factory draw straw for the return line for the air separator rather than cutting the filler tube and installing the tube in it.
When you have the sump installation the original draw tube is plugged off, just wondering if it could be used for the pumps bypass line.

Exactly how I do them. Clean and simple.

deezelpwr

Floating in the Gulf
May 18, 2014
BAMA

Let me know if you need a hand, I live in summerdale

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I wouldn't do that. The pressure from the fuel in the tank could restrict the flow too much and cause problems. Plus, I wouldn't want the air/hot fuel dumped into the tank near the sump..

you realize that all returns on the dmax have a tube that run down into the factory sump and are under fuel 90% of the time, right? the purpose is so you do not draw air when running a low tank and helps keep the sump topped off. No matter where you place the return, its going to heat that tank up without a good cooler and you will be drawing in hot fuel. Not to mention the sloshing the tank sees, where it does dump will still get mixed is pretty damn fast

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
That's the only way I'll do them as well. Makes for a super clean install.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
you realize that all returns on the dmax have a tube that run down into the factory sump and are under fuel 90% of the time, right? the purpose is so you do not draw air when running a low tank and helps keep the sump topped off. No matter where you place the return, its going to heat that tank up without a good cooler and you will be drawing in hot fuel. Not to mention the sloshing the tank sees, where it does dump will still get mixed is pretty damn fast

It's been along time since I was in a fuel tank. Why wouldn't you just tap into the fuel return pre cooler. That's how I did all mine...

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
It's been along time since I was in a fuel tank. Why wouldn't you just tap into the fuel return pre cooler. That's how I did all mine...

you can, just preference.

i dont care for sumps. they dont hold the fuel in the bowl well when you are playing off road on steep grades and have a low tank. the stock sump does much better and with the PPE pick up snapped in there, you get no "1/4 tank" issues, return keeps fuel in the sump, and it has trap doors to help keep fuel in and from sloshing out.

Muff

Just Learning
Oct 7, 2013
Butler, Pa
you can, just preference.

i dont care for sumps. they dont hold the fuel in the bowl well when you are playing off road on steep grades and have a low tank. the stock sump does much better and with the PPE pick up snapped in there, you get no "1/4 tank" issues, return keeps fuel in the sump, and it has trap doors to help keep fuel in and from sloshing out.

Nobody cares about your off-roading shenanigans James