LBZ: 4WD Conversion

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Bens a smart guy I'm sure he can figure it out.

Remember Opie(?) years ago building MITSU pumps. he only build pump for who he wanted to when he had time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davester

Oct 3, 2016
I know this thread is a bit dead, but did the OP buy new rubber bushings for the two mounts on the passenger side (that go in the hole that already exists in the frame, and the one that goes in the new hold you welded in)? Or did you re-use the bushings from the donor frame?

The dealer here seems to believe that I need to buy the frame for the truck to get the bushings. That's not gonna happen.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Say, come to think of it, couldnt you use a replacement spring eye bushing instead?

davester

Oct 3, 2016
probably, if the bolt hole is the same, but then you have to shave the size of the bushing down to match the holes (which, of course, are two difference sizes). and the width of it is probably wrong. easiest thing is likely to just use old take-outs. From the damaged one I took out, it seems that once you break it from hole, it comes out fairly easily, and running a drill bit around the outside edge does that without significantly damaging the rubber (it naturally wants to do this, I had to make a special effort to drill into the rubber to damage it :mad: ).

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Dealer told me the same, those bushings are part of the frame "assembly".

I ended up getting two poly bushings and just cut a bigger hole on the front to match the bushing, and belt sanded the rear to fit the existing hole. Start the aluminum bracket into the holes first, then smear some grease in the hole to slide the bushings over the studs from the other side.

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
That truck is pretty clean. You Texas boys have it rough keeping a nice truck with all that nice weather lol.

Would it have benefited to put an lml diff in for ease of repair and gear removal for anyone else doing this?

davester

Oct 3, 2016
for doing the straight install, I would expect it to be either the same or more difficult, as it should have similar mounts and similar wiring, and if it needs different wiring or axles, it becomes more difficult to do.

davester

Oct 3, 2016
Just to follow up, I was able to get the original rubber bushing out of the donor frame largely undamaged by using a drill and a smaller drill bit (1/4"), and running it around the outside of rubber (press it in at the edge, between the rubber and the metal hole, then just let the drill bit run all the way around the outside of the bushing) to break it free, then it pushes out with a hammer & punch. And it wasn't too hard to press them into the new frame.

davester

Oct 3, 2016
For anyone finding this thread about 4wd conversions, I just completed converting my '04 Sierra 3500 to 4wd, using an '06 Sierra 2500HD as a donor truck for the transmission, NP261HD transfer case and front axle (and all the associated bits like axles, cv shafts, etc).

The project is documented here: http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/76...871098-converting-04-sierra-3500-2wd-4wd.html

It involves:
-modifying frame/fabricating mounts for the front axle
-rebuilding the transmission and transfer case and checking the front axle (it was a beater truck)
-installing everything into the truck