2012 Buick enclave

blackLTZ

May 6, 2016
South Texas!
I know this forum is for Duramax but I have a question my wife's truck 2012 Buick Enclave is making a popping noise when turning right, I got under there and checked the basic tie road end and ball joints. I know here there are some guys that work on automotive, any advise what could it be or what else to check?
Thanks

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
id check the strut, strut mount and cv axle (if it has them). cv axles usually click loudly when a boot is torn and it looses all its grease.

did you use quality struts? cheap ones dont last for crap

Slowmax

Build what others' won't
Aug 3, 2013
United States
If it is all wheel drive, indeed check the cv shafts'. Also check the steering gear bushings' that mount on the cradle, as they can make noise. Pull up, and down on the front stabilizer links', they mount to the strut assembly.

blackLTZ

May 6, 2016
South Texas!
id check the strut, strut mount and cv axle (if it has them). cv axles usually click loudly when a boot is torn and it looses all its grease.

did you use quality struts? cheap ones dont last for crap

Payed 300 dls for both of them they were Monroe I think, it's a 2wd

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Payed 300 dls for both of them they were Monroe I think, it's a 2wd

really look over the top strut mounts. use a pry bar under the tire after you lift one tire via the frame (not under the control arm) and see if you can replicate the clunk by lifting up. based on what you are saying, this start after you had replaced the struts so start back looking at everything you may have touched

blackLTZ

May 6, 2016
South Texas!
really look over the top strut mounts. use a pry bar under the tire after you lift one tire via the frame (not under the control arm) and see if you can replicate the clunk by lifting up. based on what you are saying, this start after you had replaced the struts so start back looking at everything you may have touched

I'll double check everything, but today I was driving it and it sounds like it comes from the middle, I think the rack and pinion. If I am not mistaken we took it to the dealer when it was new and they said it had electric steering but I could be wrong .

KyleC4

Tech
Dec 30, 2016
Bay Area
Lol. I hope the dealer did not tell you it had electric steering. Buick Enclave does not. No wonder people can't trust dealers if they can't even get simple information correct to customers.

But if noise was there after struts were replaced I'd go over everything in that area that required to be removed and reinstalled before considering any other component is causing noise. Sway bar end links can make a good pop sound when they go bad. You could un bolt sway bar links and drive around speeds you're taking about and see if noise goes away to eliminate a source. Also check torque on axle nut. Have had those be loose and cause a kind of pop, click sound.

blackLTZ

May 6, 2016
South Texas!
Lol. I hope the dealer did not tell you it had electric steering. Buick Enclave does not. No wonder people can't trust dealers if they can't even get simple information correct to customers.

But if noise was there after struts were replaced I'd go over everything in that area that required to be removed and reinstalled before considering any other component is causing noise. Sway bar end links can make a good pop sound when they go bad. You could un bolt sway bar links and drive around speeds you're taking about and see if noise goes away to eliminate a source. Also check torque on axle nut. Have had those be loose and cause a kind of pop, click sound.

Thanks for feedback, I'll start to check all components again, but it's weird cause it only makes it when steering right, it started to make that noise about 2 weeks after the struds were really bad when I took them of there was no pressure anymore on the shock, could it be that the problem was already there but didn't notice cause of the bad struds ? What about a tie road end?

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
Check the top of the struts to see if there are bearings up there. If so, check the bearings for wear.

Could also be a bad strut. If it's manmade, anything can happen during the mfg process.

blackLTZ

May 6, 2016
South Texas!
Which was........?

Whoops forgot to say, I took the truck to a buddies tire shop to start with the tire balance and get that out the way, when I lifted the passenger side front tire I noticed that the tire moved up and down, turned out to be that a bolt that holds the strud in place came loose, the adjustment for the caster bolt was loose.