2008 Vortec Max Performance Upgrades

coldLBZ

Apr 22, 2007
Alberta, Canada
So I have started doing a little bit of research on my gasser, it has the 6.0L L76 with the 4L70E trans, 4.10 gears, G80, SF 14 bolt. I have been looking at some parts for this thing, this is what I have so far...

Texas Speed 220R cam 220/220 .581/.581 112 LSA
Valvesprings, pushrods, etc.
Heads?
Long tube headers and off road y-pipe
DOD/AFM + VVT delete, Parts needed?
Magnaflow or whatever exhaust
EFI Live tune
3000 stall and corvette servo
Aux. trans cooler

What do you guys think? Any suggestions on parts or anything really? Be gentle I don't know much about LS motors. Thanks. :)

Fiesty

Sep 21, 2014
i had the same cam with a yank tt3000 converter and loved it. longtube headers for sure. leave the heads alone, yours flow pretty good stock, no reason to pull them. any big brand dual valve springs and hardened pushrods will work.

coldLBZ

Apr 22, 2007
Alberta, Canada
i had the same cam with a yank tt3000 converter and loved it. longtube headers for sure. leave the heads alone, yours flow pretty good stock, no reason to pull them. any big brand dual valve springs and hardened pushrods will work.

Yeah, I pretty much came up with this list from reading your build thread and the cam thread on GMFS.

AKlowriderZ71

May 14, 2012
Wyoming
Don't waste your time on the 60(70 same thing), plan a 80e swap. Ditch the gov-bomb for an Eaton LSD. The rest of your plan sounds pretty solid.

If you have specific questions, feel free to ask away. I've done a lot with the LS engines in trucks.

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
The heads arent bad i cant remember for sure but i believe its the same heads as the ls3...

Lt's for sure, shorties are worthless imo. I have the 70's hold some big power with no issues, im guessing you have seen problems?

AKlowriderZ71

May 14, 2012
Wyoming
The 80e swap is easy, I'll PM you a link that is very detailed.

Yes the L76 heads outflow the 243's by a significant margin. I'd have to look up the flow numbers. But here's a little info.

Parker_

I'm a torque addict !!
May 13, 2014
Blythe ca
The 80e swap is easy, I'll PM you a link that is very detailed.

Yes the L76 heads outflow the 243's by a significant margin. I'd have to look up the flow numbers. But here's a little info.

Can u pm me the link to please

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rickettzusaf

Nov 30, 2011
Goldsboro, NC
So I have started doing a little bit of research on my gasser, it has the 6.0L L76 with the 4L70E trans, 4.10 gears, G80, SF 14 bolt. I have been looking at some parts for this thing, this is what I have so far...

Texas Speed 220R cam 220/220 .581/.581 112 LSA
Valvesprings, pushrods, etc.
Heads?
Long tube headers and off road y-pipe
DOD/AFM + VVT delete, Parts needed?
Magnaflow or whatever exhaust
EFI Live tune
3000 stall and corvette servo
Aux. trans cooler

What do you guys think? Any suggestions on parts or anything really? Be gentle I don't know much about LS motors. Thanks. :)

Not a bad cam choice. Have you thought about keeping a VVT cam? Can geat some good power gains and still keep some mpg. Pat G can custom make one.

You'll want your springs to be capable for .050" of lift greater than the cam or more. So a .650" spring would be good for the 220R cam if you go with it.

Leave the heads. That style head has some of the best flow.

I would have 1 3/4 headers and a y-pipe with a 3.5" exhaust. I did 1 7/8 Pacesetters with dual 3" exhaust and X-pipe. Lost low end. If you do duals, do 2.5" or 2.75". I'd honestly do the single. Justin at Blackbear said I lost some low end with the 1 7/8 headers and said I could have went with 1 3/4 and not noticed much difference and kept some low end.

Texas Speed has the DOD / AFM delete kit with some options. Worth it to get all 16 lifters versus just the 8 replacements.

Exhaust is your choice. If you have drone, put a resonator or glass pack style up where the Y-pipe comes together.

Blackbear performance is who I would recommend Kinda like the Kory Willis of the LS world. Nelson performance is good as well.

Yank or Circle D convertor is good convertor choice. Could upgrade to a 4L80e. Do a transgo shift kit, convertor and call it good. Seen numberous 600 rwhp+ set ups with just that on the 80e. Fairly easy swap.

You should have an aux trans cooler with your truck. I had the chevy version and it had an aux cooler for the trans.