2008 gmc 3500hd P0652, P0117, P0462, and P0522

Furlong2022

Sep 6, 2023
Deridder, Louisiana
we changed the cp3 on the truck got it all back together it had a code for P0090 there was a loss of power warning. it ran fine at first then started loping and thats when we lost the fuel, oil pressure, and coolant temperate gauges. checked codes and there was a P0652, P0117, P0462, and P0522. we fixed the P0090 code but now the gauges still dont work. when we clear codes the first two codes to come up are P0652 and P0522 but after couple minutes the other codes come up. when you clear codes the coolant gauge will read on the dash below 210 the scan tool reads 300. the other two gauges will not work they will sweep and will turn on when codes are cleared but will instantly shut off and will leave the coolant on for a few moments longer then it will go off and say low coolant please add coolant. ive swapped the coolant sensor out during the job due to it accidentally bein broken but i went ahead and swapped the new one out with another one thats good i have swapped the a/c line switch out with a known good one i do not have a fuel rail sensor that ik is good other then the one on the truck as none of this was an issue before the cp3 was changed. Before the truck did not have these issues we just swapped the cp3 out and then found coolant in the egr valve and found some coolant leaking thro the egr so we swapped out the egr and the egr valve both from oreillys. im at a loss where should i go from here?

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
It sounds like you pinched a wire harness or didn't get something hooked back up electrically. I would double check your work. If you had the bail connector apart, take it back apart and make sure you don't have a bent pin.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
The one thing they all have in common is low input or open circuit... Also if you had to remove any grounds, check that they are fully connected as well.

P0090 Fuel Pressure Regulator 1 Control Circuit Open
P0117 Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Sensor Circuit Low Input
P0462 Fuel Level Sensor Circuit Low Input
P0522 Engine Oil Pressure Sensor Circuit Low Input
P0652 Sensor Reference Voltage "B" Circuit Low

Furlong2022

Sep 6, 2023
Deridder, Louisiana
i do not see any wires pinched, unplugged, or any grounds undone nor do i see anything out of the ordinary on the two main harness connectors that i had to unplug when going thro the first two codes i still get are first P0522 oil pressure sensor and P0652 the 5v ref after a few moments the codes P0117 and P0462 both come up as well. ive seen where they say the ecm and the fuse block can causes these codes but i am unsure how to see about the fuse block or which wires to test off the ecm or if they have anything to do with my problem in the first place. none of this was an issue before the trucks cp3, egr, and egr valve where changed. after changing them the gauges worked the truck ran fine it had the P0090 code but it was fine at first when the truck started loping is when i lost the gauges. through my diagnosis i found that i had the alternator and the fpr plugs swapped so i switched them around and the P0090 code went away but the others stayed and ive had no gauges since all gauges seem to read zero excpet the coolant and it reads 300F. i am completley lost on what else i need to do and/or look at to get this thing fixed.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
You clearly have a wiring issue of some sort. Something you touched during the repair is causing the issue.

In regards to the P0522.
Tests/Procedures:1. Key On Engine Off (KOEO), check for 5 V to the engine oil pressure sensor (Gray wire) from the ECM pin 15.

2. Check for a good ground at the engine oil pressure sensor. The engine oil pressure sensor grounds through the ECM at terminal 23 Black wire.

3. Check for a signal voltage on the Tan/White wire at the ECM terminal 44. It will have low voltage for low oil pressure and high voltage for high oil pressure.

In regards to the P0652.
Tests/Procedures:1. Confirm that 5 volt reference 2 is less than 4.73 volts for 2 seconds.

2. If it is, disconnect the A/C pressure sensor, oil pressure sensor, Differential Pressure Sensor (DPS) one at a time and see if the problem goes away.

3. If not, check for harness modifications.

4. Wiggle the harness at the Accelerator Pedal Position (APP) sensor, Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor and see if the voltage 5 volt reference 2 fluctuates.

When P0462, P0522, P0652, P2454 All set at the same time.
Tests/Procedures:1. Inspect the wiring harness related to the A/C Pressure Sensor, Engine Oil Pressure (EOP) Sensor, Fuel Rail Pressure (FRP) Sensor and the Exhaust Pressure Differential (EDP) Sensor.

2. If no problems are found, locate and remove the Gray/White wire from pin 15 in the ECM Connector X1 and connect it to the Gray wire at pin 37 in the X1 connector.

3. Locate and remove the Gray wire at pin 27 from the ECM Connector X2 and connect it to the Gray wire at pin 17 in the X1 connector.

4. Drive the vehicle to failure. Determine which DTC's have set.

5. If DTC P0642 sets, repair the short to ground on the Gray wire to the A/C Pressure Sensor. If no problem found, replace the A/C Pressure Sensor.

6. Return all wires to their original positions.

Attachments

• LMM ECM Connector X1.pdf
    93.6 KB · Views: 2
  • LMM ECM Connector X2.pdf
    83.1 KB · Views: 2

Furlong2022

Sep 6, 2023
Deridder, Louisiana
for the P0652 you referred to which terminal is that on the ecm to check so that i known i am checking the right one? is the 5 volt reference 2 pin 15 as well or a different pin?

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
I got the information from Identifix. It does not specify which one in regards to the P0652

According to the X1 Connector Print from GM the solid Grey wire is Pin 14 and Pin 15 is Grey with White stripe.

Both Pin 14 and 15 are labeled as 5-Volt Reference 2

I would have to look at the Wiring Diagram for clarification.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
So the AC Pressure sensor is X2 Pin 27 Grey Wire. I think this is what they are asking to check in regards to P0652

The Exhaust Pressure differential Is X1 pin 14 Grey Wire
The Engine Oil Pressure sensor is X1 Pin 15 and it states a Gray/ White wire
The Fuel Pressure Regulator Is X1 Pin 39 wire is TN. I believe is Tan.

Furlong2022

Sep 6, 2023
Deridder, Louisiana
alright i've tested the 5v reference 2 wire 15 there is no voltage on the line none to any of the sensors and none coming out of the ecm. would the last give me any difference or would this be leading us to go elsewhere?

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
If you don't have voltage like you are supposed to with the Key on and the engine off it sounds like that is the issue.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
If your not getting voltage directly from the ECU it could be bad. Other wise the wiring could have an issue.