2 Stroke oil???

MaxSmoke

FNG for life
Jan 25, 2012
Brighton Co
I had read that people where using smokeless 2 stroke oil as a fuel additive. I had some in the garage so decided cant hurt to give her a little bit about 6 ounces in a full tank. I have 110xxx on the stock injectors and have noticed my balance rates going up and and I'm getting injector knock and planning on getting a new set soon. Well drove it for the past 2 days and injector noise is less and balance rates are better. Told one of my 7.3 powerstroke buddies about it and he said he was told that its good to do in the old HEUI and mechanical injection setups but never in a common rail. My question is why or what could it harm in a common rail??? Thanks in advance

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
i use to use it all the time, then kinda got out of it as it really didnt do much for saving any injectors. Now i dump a full quart in when ever i see it for a good price at the fuel station.

Now i tried a quart of ATF every fill up for 6-7k miles and i fairly certain thats what has done my current injectors in at only 30k miles. i have no proof but all my issues start not long after putting that stuff in my tank

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
ATF is a no go for any common rail. It's good for the old mechanical motors. 2 stroke oil is fine for a CR diesel. I just wouldn't expect it to save injectors lol

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
This is a fairly common practice to do, LOTS of guys swear by using 2 stroke or ATF in the tank...

The reason for doing so is due to how "dry" modern diesel is, ULSD has been stripped of the sulphur, hence the ultra low sulphur diesel label, sulphur is in vague terms one of the lubricity agents in the fuel and the lack of it in modern fuel takes a toll on our fuel system.

Adding things like 2 stroke and ATF work to replenish the lubricity in the fuel, however I've never really bought into this black magic...one of the reasons I'm hesitant to do so is, physically speaking, it changes the overall "weight" of the fuel and I can't believe on a long term scale that's good for our injection pump or the injectors.

I'd much rather use a specific additive like Stanadyne or Power Service in the tank. I mean, why wouldn't you? Afterall, between injectors and a cp3 you've got nearly 6 thousand dollars of equipment, I'd rather pay the few extra bucks to run a specifically designed additive for those expensive parts than take a chance with some old school "trick"

That's just my
:2cents:

I know making this statement will open me up to ridicule here, cuz like I said, lots of accomplished diesel heads and accomplished racer guys use 2 stroke and ATF in the fuel tank and swear by it, but you'll never catch me doing it

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
ATF is a no go for any common rail. It's good for the old mechanical motors. 2 stroke oil is fine for a CR diesel. I just wouldn't expect it to save injectors lol

There is a lot of guys who say different about atf in the tank of a common rail. Did I believe either one for what they posted? (whether it's good or bad) nope, figured I'd find out myself. I now know I won't be using it anymore lol.

Anymore I just stick to the same fuel stations , don't fill when there is a truck there filling the tanks, and keep fresh filters on hand. Oh and also keep an injector savings account now :D

MaxSmoke

FNG for life
Jan 25, 2012
Brighton Co
Thanks for the info guys. Still seems like its a black magic idea. Ill run 2 stroke oil till my injectors finally crap out on me lol

Yngdmax92

Sep 26, 2013
when my injectors were going out and smoking at idle i added half a quart of atf every fill up, cleaned the smoke right up and even though my injectors were still on the edge the truck stopped smoking at idle and 3 months later a injector cracked and started filling up the crank case. Thats the only reason i believe in the stuff. ATF has alot of detergents in it and not only helps clean the fuel system but also lubes it. I fog my 2 stroke snowmobile with atf, pull out the powervalves to clean them before winter and the carbon slide right off the metal. I literally take half a quart of atf and fill the rest up wtih gas and run it till the sled dies and let it sit all summer. Stuff works great

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
when my injectors were going out and smoking at idle i added half a quart of atf every fill up, cleaned the smoke right up and even though my injectors were still on the edge the truck stopped smoking at idle and 3 months later a injector cracked and started filling up the crank case. Thats the only reason i believe in the stuff. ATF has alot of detergents in it and not only helps clean the fuel system but also lubes it. I fog my 2 stroke snowmobile with atf, pull out the powervalves to clean them before winter and the carbon slide right off the metal. I literally take half a quart of atf and fill the rest up wtih gas and run it till the sled dies and let it sit all summer. Stuff works great

The problem I see with that is the ATF with all its "detergents" brings all that crap built up inside the injector lines and tries to force that junk buildup through the injectors or they just get clogged.

Did you ever think that maybe the ATF caused the cracked injector body? Just a thought.