Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh2002cc View Post
That must be some serious tuning Volker, congrats to whomever tunes that thing

Damit ... worng vehicle

NEW: DURAMAX AND CUMMINS STAND ALONE ECM's FOR HIGH PERFORMANCE APPLICATIONS

call 262 725 3581 or e-mail volker@atomized-engineering.com[/CENTER]
Old 09-25-2008, 02:07 PM
fuel injection is my life

new sheet which I got some update from Kurt (Lynns son)

NEW: DURAMAX AND CUMMINS STAND ALONE ECM's FOR HIGH PERFORMANCE APPLICATIONS

call 262 725 3581 or e-mail volker@atomized-engineering.com[/CENTER]
Old 09-25-2008, 06:02 PM
Gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by mde View Post
Curtis told me that the Evans coolant caught on fire, which the tank is right behind the driver/firewall

Nobody thought that coolant can caught on fire, but there was a CO2 spray in the tank ... we have 3 fire saftey system on that car 2x CO2, 1x Water
I am very sorry to hear about Lynn's accident and I'm glad that the injuries are not very severe and that he is expected to fully recover from his burns.

It really saddens me, however, that no one thought that the coolant could catch fire.

Having personally been in a car that caught on fire when the exhaust pipe burned through a mis-routed heater hose, I know full well what can happen when engine coolant burns. Fortunately for me, I got out of the car before the fire could do serious bodily harm to me.

Engine coolants, including the typical ethylene glycol we are all familiar with as well as EVANS coolants are what OSHA classifies as COMBUSTIBLE LIQUIDS. In fact these coolants are CLASS IIIB liquids having a flashpoint above 200F. If we look at the enclosed chart we will see that the "Flash-point" for these coolants is much lower than that for engine oil or transmission fluids, which I hope we all know they ARE combustible liquids.

"Combustible liquid" means any liquid having a flash-point at or above 100F. (37.8C.) -- Looking at the enclosed chart, we can see that EVANS coolants fall within that classification.

Below is some information about Flammable and Combustible Liquids that I put together for my company a while back. This information was obtained from manufacturers' MSDS information as well as various trade sources. I hope this information will help prevent another serious injury.

I've also included a PDF file that can be downloaded for future reference.

I hope you all find this information useful.

Flammable and Combustible Liquids

Definitions:
Flash Point also flashpoint (Flashpoint) n.

"Flashpoint" means the minimum temperature at which a liquid gives off vapor within a test vessel in sufficient concentration to form an ignitable mixture with air near the surface of the liquid.

Auto-ignition Temperature - The Auto-ignition Temperature of a chemical is the lowest temperature at which a material will ignite without an external source of ignition.
Flammable Liquids
The U.S. Occupational Health and Safety Administration (OSHA) defines a flammable liquid as "any liquid having a flash point below 100F. (37.8C.), except any mixture having components with flash points of 100F. (37.8C.) or higher, the total of which make up 99 percent or more of the total volume of the mixture. Flammable liquids shall be known as Class I liquids."

Class I liquids are divided into three classes as follows:
Class IA shall include liquids having flashpoints below 73F. (22.8C.) and having a boiling point below 100F. (37.8C.).

Class IB shall include liquids having flashpoints below 73F. (22.8C.) and having a boiling point at or above 100F. (37.8C.).

Class IC shall include liquids having flashpoints at or above 73F. (22.8C.) and below 100F. (37.8C.).
Combustible Liquids
The U.S. Occupational Health and Safety Administration (OSHA) defines a combustible liquid as "any liquid having a flash point at or above 100F (37.8C), but below 200F (93.3C), except any mixture having components with flashpoints of 200F (93.3C), or higher, the total volume of which make up 99 percent or more of the total volume of the mixture."

"Combustible liquid" means any liquid having a flash-point at or above 100F. (37.8C.) Combustible liquids shall be divided into two classes as follows:
"Class II liquids" shall include those with flashpoints at or above 100F. (37.8C.) and below 140F. (60C.), except any mixture having components with flashpoints of 200F. (93.3C.) or higher, the volume of which make up 99 percent or more of the total volume of the mixture.

"Class III liquids" shall include those with flashpoints at or above 140F. (60C.) Class III liquids are subdivided into two subclasses:
"Class IIIA liquids" shall include those with flashpoints at or above 140F. (60C.) and below 200F. (93.3C.), except any mixture having components with flashpoints of 200F. (93.3C.), or higher, the total volume of which make up 99 percent or more of the total volume of the mixture.

"Class IIIB liquids" shall include those with flashpoints at or above 200F. (93.3C.).
When a combustible liquid is heated for use to within 30F. (16.7C.) of its flash-point, it shall be handled in accordance with the requirements for the next lower class of liquids.

See more information from OSHA HERE
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flammable & Combustible Liquids(small).JPG (131.9 KB, 83 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Flammable and Combustible Liquids.pdf (51.3 KB, 4 views)

2006 GMC 2500HD - SLE1, EC/SB, 4x4, (LBZ) Duramax HO; (MW7) Allison 6-spd auto trans; (G80) Eaton Locking Rear Diff; (DPN) Camper Outside Mirrors; (VYU) Snow Plow Prep Pkg; GoodYear Wrangler Silent Armor LT265/75R-16E on 3500 SRW 16"x7" Chrome Steel Wheels; GMC Bug Deflector & Mud Guards; GM Tailgate Lock; All-4-On Headlight Mod; Line-X Over the Rails Bed Liner; ARE cab-high Cap; Stanadyne Performance Formula Fuel Treatment; Garmin StreetPilot 2720.

Last edited by RayMich; 09-26-2008 at 01:20 AM. Reason: Added link to OSHA / Spelling