Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 04-15-2018, 07:28 AM
don't know sh!t about IFS

Thanks guys! I’m looking forward to getting this thing in the dirt.
James

02 LL7 2500HD CC/LB dmax/alli "The Limo"

BIG THANKS TO: Mike L, Steve, Trent, Guy, Dan, Ruben, Josh H, Scott, Brian and everyone else who has put a hand in to help me.

best time to date: 12.39

motor died/bent rods = 3/11/11
back from the dead 7:04pm 4/9/2012

Limo is back in the garage, now driving a built chevy tracker
Tailgate Crew Member #4
Old 04-18-2018, 08:31 AM

Fixed the shock mounts and got everything cycling well. Moved the bottom mounts back 1/2”, widened the top mount 3/8” and moved the back hole on the upper shock mount down and forward 3/8” to put the bolt at an angle. This helped get the heims in the shocks at a more neutral area so when it starts flexing, I don’t max the heims out (they would max out before I moved the bolt hole).

Full flexy flexy oh yes

Made some weld in spacers for the upper shock mount so I don’t use 3 stacked up heim spacers used on 2.0 shocks. Then started on the bump stops

Did some CAD, then plugged the design in and burned out the steel with the plasma (card board aided design, my brain/hand, traced some lines with the plasma). Burned in the frame plating and then made some plates for the bump stops. Need to cap the top and then burn it all in.

Already have the other side plating cut, just need to set it all up and burn it in. Feels like I’m getting close, then I look at the list of things to do still lol
James

BIG THANKS TO: Mike L, Steve, Trent, Guy, Dan, Ruben, Josh H, Scott, Brian and everyone else who has put a hand in to help me.

Tailgate Crew Member #4
Old 04-24-2018, 07:19 AM

Finished up 99% of the fab work. Leaving 1% cause I’m sure I missed something.

Pass side bump in and plating done

Boxed in the opening in the rocker guards. Still don’t really like it. They may get hacked out all together at some point and also cut some of the body rocker out

Gusset on top of the lower link frame mount. Not tacked in as I need to burn the mount in under the gusset first

Top crossmember setup. I’ll yank everything out before I go putting it in and then clean up the end of the factory tubing. Lots of room though.

I’ll start pulling things apart, weld everything, clean, paint and reinstall.
James

Tailgate Crew Member #4
Old 04-27-2018, 09:21 AM

Cleaned up the garage, pulled the axle and links, and started welding things up on the frame. Got the lower link mounts and gussets in

Upper is 3/4 burned in. I need to unbolt the body and lift one side an inch or so to get the gun in and burn the top in

Top crossmember hoop burned in, plates on rockers burned in and started burning the bumpstops in when I ran out of gas so stopping point for the day.

next day

Frame is all done, just need to weld up the axle mounts. Also got the body jacked up and welded the top of the upper link mount.

Also had the frame mounts nagging at me. Since the bolt goes up at an angle to hold the shock and keep the heim from binding, the bolt head and nut didn’t fit flush to the mount. So I sleeved each end so the bolt and nut will sit flush and hold torque. Add a little more strength too.

My welding on the bottom of something sucked initially. had to change up to pushing the puddle instead of pulling it and get wire speed slowed down but not too much. was kind of a bear as ive not done alot of "upside down" welding. got it figured out eventually. Do need to get some anti splatter for the gas cup and tip, its packing up fast welding all this thick stuff up.
James

Tailgate Crew Member #4
Old 04-27-2018, 09:59 AM
pro-procrastinator

Looks killer

07 crew long classic- stolen
Old 04-27-2018, 10:24 AM
~

Man that looks awesome!
Old 04-27-2018, 12:49 PM

Thanks guys! im ready to get this thing on the ground and rollin. might have it on its own weight saturday if all goes well.
James

Tailgate Crew Member #4
Old 04-27-2018, 12:50 PM
Back in the Motherland

I just want to see it all painted, are you gonna do satin black or what?

2008 CC/SB LMM SLT
EFI by Idaho Rob | 5in Straight Pipe | Isspro Ev2 Gauges | Titan 52gal Fuel Tank | Banks Intake/Filter | DJM 3in Drop Shackles | PCV Reroute | Custom Power Steering Cooler

1983 c10/Cummins Conversion - On Hold

"I think we missed the turn..." - Somewhere in Baja
Old 04-27-2018, 12:53 PM

Not real sure. Factory frame is white. Probably just go gloss black as that is what the bumpers and rockers are. Will make it easy for the yearly “clean up” which entails of a good pressure wash and repaint lol
James

Tailgate Crew Member #4
Old 05-01-2018, 07:16 AM

Got the axle welded up and ready Saturday. Bout as far as I got with few buddies from out of town stopping by and a party at fishes.

Today, frame and axle got paint. Nothing special and clearly did not care to tape shit off. Mall crawlers will shun me for this

Then trimmed about 1” off the lower link frame brackets. Way more bracket than I need.

And then got the brake lines done on the axle. Not sure if that rubber hose will be long enough but I think it will.

At this point, links need paint, need drive shaft, clean up inside of the drums (surface rust), cross fingers that ebrake cables hook up like I think they will, get hardware for shocks, make a few little spacers and put the bitch back together.
James

Tailgate Crew Member #4
Old 05-02-2018, 08:14 AM

Final assembly started tonight.

Links painted

Machined spacers for shocks

Changed the brake line fitting from metric Suzuki to standard Ford and put it all in. Still need to droop the axle and check that I have enough hose. Looks promising though. Way more than stock.

Cleaned the inside of the brake drums and set the shoe to drum clearance. Then set the shocks up with springs and set preload to 0.

Panhard bar is still drying so didn’t put the links on tonight. Once those are in I’ll measure for a drive shaft and get that going.
James

Tailgate Crew Member #4
Old 05-07-2018, 08:14 AM

Sitting in her own weight after 3 weeks! Need a stiffer top spring, took too much preload for the ride height.
I may also make a custom resi hose to keep the resi out of the tire. I’ll flex it out and see how close it is as is but think it’s gunna catch a lug. I can tuck the resi in farther to the inside of the body as well

Then it was just little crap that eats time. Aligned the rear end and tighten all the link bolts and jam nuts, got the stud ready for the rear output shaft, trimmed some pieces off the body that rubbed, siliconed up the body where I punched a hole and split body lines, and then figured out the e-brake setup.

Initially it looked like it would all click into place. Well it will at the axle but the cable is 1” longer than the ford cable. So I had to figure out how to shorten the cable. Some times is the simple things that work best lol

Knot in each cable and off we go. Adjuster is maxed here but I did t realize the cables came undone from the axle at the time. Simple fix and it’s about half way up that threaded rod now.

New routing for cables so they don’t bind

Might go drive her around in front wheel drive this week just for fun lol. headed to Foddrills today to get some internal spacers for my bump stops. shortening them from 4" stroke to 2". also going to top oil off in them a bit more to increase the bump rate.
James

Tailgate Crew Member #4
Old 05-07-2018, 08:29 AM
Back in the Motherland

That spring to hold the line is genius! Looks good!

2008 CC/SB LMM SLT
EFI by Idaho Rob | 5in Straight Pipe | Isspro Ev2 Gauges | Titan 52gal Fuel Tank | Banks Intake/Filter | DJM 3in Drop Shackles | PCV Reroute | Custom Power Steering Cooler

1983 c10/Cummins Conversion - On Hold

"I think we missed the turn..." - Somewhere in Baja
Old 05-07-2018, 10:00 AM

thank you Wil! page i took from guys that run springs on long limit straps or brake lines to keep them out of the suspensions way.
James

Tailgate Crew Member #4
Old 05-15-2018, 08:42 AM

Attempting to get this thing done by the weekend for a wheeling trip. im not holding my breath. little stuff is eating up time terribly.

Bump stops are done. shorten up to 2" stroke, ditched the internal spring, changed the oil and put back together. didnt realize these had the springs in them so i had to make up more spacers. just 1.5" ID .120 wall chromoly from the scrap steel bin. Spring is in there to slow bump rebound and stop "clicking" when going full extension. im not going to get that in depth with shock valving to have to worry about the bumps rebound.

Tear down.

Clean shaft (ha, shaft)

reassembled. i made two spacers on purpose. for the full 4" stroke, there still needs to be a 1.375" spacer inside. the other is a 2" to shorten it up. shaft.... stroke.... caulk.... :lol:

filled with oil. 10cc removed with bump fully compressed, air removed inside, and oil filled to the top. leaves room for expansion from heat, increases the "ramp rate" as bump come to full bump, and keeps me out of the "hydro locked" danger zone.

back on the rig, charged up and ready

Also bolted the SYE since its been painted and put a copper washer under the nut that holds it on to hopefully keep oil from making its way out. Made from a Samurai pinion flange and my old slip yoke as no one makes a slip yoke eliminator for the 96-05 rigs (suzuki went from 26 spline to 16 spline). i could swap the output shafts for an older one but thats more work than making a custom yoke lol. only had to take .005 off once welded to flatten it out.

Then swapped one 100lbs coil for the 150 and tested at 1" of preload. think its going to be too much spring rate but ill see when i get the other side done.
James

Tailgate Crew Member #4