Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 05-17-2018, 09:34 AM
Gearhead

Default PS pump ran dry, next step?

So in August 2017 I was in a front-end accident and my front end was rebuilt at that time with all Kryptonite parts (centerlink, tie rods, pitman/idler arms and supports/frame gusset), the whole 9 yards.

So fast forward, I'm driving and start to hear power steering pump whining. I get home, thinking maybe hydroboost just needs to be bled. Power steering pump is completely dry and has puked all the fluid where the idler arm leaves the PS pump.

Next steps? I'm getting the shop that did the work to fix it through the prior insurance claim so I want everything done correctly. The seals were obviously blown out. New idler arm? New PS pump or is it likely OK after 20min running dry?

THANKS FOR THE HELP

2008 Chevy LMM CCSB Z71 LTZ D/A
SDP Batmo/race covered S475 over stock. Exergy 40% over, Suncoast V 1056 Billet input/outputs. Pela Motorsports CP3 and 1/2" fuel lines. EFI by Adam Pela. Fabtech 6" dropped to 3" w/ dual dirtlogic 2.0 (GONE- now she's stock height with 3"shackles). RDL Cast-flow manifolds, Extreme up-pipes, and Y-bridge. ADII w/draw straw and return line upgrades, BT lockup box. Custom DP-back 5" exhaust. AFE 3" I/C pipes. Rareparts tie-rods. Crankitup Centerlink. Cognito Braces. Mag-Hytec Trans/Dif Pans. PPE ported rails and race valve. Suncoast Billet T-case brace. 60" Cognito traction bars. Bilstein 5100's. Nitto 420s. Dual VIAIR 480c compressors. Hornblasters Shocker XL's. Firestone bags. 20x9 Jesse James lawless 8's.

8LUG Magazine March '12
722/1423 stock bottom end (and probably a generous dyno)
Old 05-17-2018, 09:49 AM
Heavy & Slow

It puked the fluid from where?? The idler arm is nowhere near the PS pump. Do you mean the seal where the pitman arm attaches to the steering gear (steering box)? Though that shouldn't be exposed to power steering fluid unless the steering gear is internally hosed.

I would throw some cheap fluid in and see where it is leaking. It might be a hose or fitting that is squirting the fluid onto something else. It the part that leaked was something done by the shop for the accident repair, you could try and get them to fix it.

As for if the pump is OK or not, try it and see. It could go either way.

Old 05-17-2018, 10:38 AM
Gearhead

Sorry, pitman arm not idler arm.

Yes the seal where pitman leaves steering box seems shot. Pretty sure that's where I'm leaking. I can take some pics after work, it is pretty obvious.

Looks like a leak where the pitman shaft seals into the gearbox.

SDP Batmo/race covered S475 over stock. Exergy 40% over, Suncoast V 1056 Billet input/outputs. Pela Motorsports CP3 and 1/2" fuel lines. EFI by Adam Pela. Fabtech 6" dropped to 3" w/ dual dirtlogic 2.0 (GONE- now she's stock height with 3"shackles). RDL Cast-flow manifolds, Extreme up-pipes, and Y-bridge. ADII w/draw straw and return line upgrades, BT lockup box. Custom DP-back 5" exhaust. AFE 3" I/C pipes. Rareparts tie-rods. Crankitup Centerlink. Cognito Braces. Mag-Hytec Trans/Dif Pans. PPE ported rails and race valve. Suncoast Billet T-case brace. 60" Cognito traction bars. Bilstein 5100's. Nitto 420s. Dual VIAIR 480c compressors. Hornblasters Shocker XL's. Firestone bags. 20x9 Jesse James lawless 8's.

8LUG Magazine March '12

Last edited by 08liftedHD; 05-17-2018 at 10:47 AM.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:45 AM
Gearhead

I'm worried that maybe they mis-aligned something with the install, especially since they welded up the idler arm frame gusset, and worried this may cause premature wear and repeated problems....

8LUG Magazine March '12
Old 05-17-2018, 02:01 PM
Wound for sound

The welding would most likely just wipe out the pitman and idler arms sooner, the steering box is weak anyhow and if it took any kind of jolt it’s prolly junk. That being said, I blew the seals out on my LLY when I first got it, me not knowing what I was even working on just stuffed them back in with a hole punch and siliconed the dust cover in and it lasted until I wrecked it and broke the shaft off.

The Blessed Hellride- 08' White GMC Sierra SLT CC/SB,
100k miles. Piston eater.

Wife's ride- 2016 Pearl white Legacy limited 3.6R

Rig ride/new DD-02' Black Eddie Bauer explorer 4.6, -180k, still sporting original trans, outlasted two Duramaxs.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:31 PM
Gearhead

Pittman shaft seals are very common problems on our trucks. Have someone observe the pittman shaft arm/seal area while another person turns steering from lock to lock several times. You will be looking to see if the seal leaks at the end of the turn. If it leaks there, you will probably need a new steering box. If no leak, just replacing the seal will likely get the job done. I need to re-seal mine - just haven't taken it down to the garage to have the work done. Mine leaks a little, too. A minute or two with a pressure washer cleans it up for several months. I check the fluid level when I change oil.

2008 Chevy Silverado LT, SRW, Crew Cab, LB, LMM/Allison, Rear lowered 2": otherwise, fully stock at this point. Edge Insight CTS
Old 05-23-2018, 07:42 PM
<thatís not me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVRigrat05 View Post
The welding would most likely just wipe out the pitman and idler arms sooner, the steering box is weak anyhow and if it took any kind of jolt itís prolly junk. That being said, I blew the seals out on my LLY when I first got it, me not knowing what I was even working on just stuffed them back in with a hole punch and siliconed the dust cover in and it lasted until I wrecked it and broke the shaft off.
Reger your skills and intuition never fail to amaze me...

Other toys:
1982 K10 6.2 Detroit diesel/sm465/np205 with 4 inch lift and 35s. And itís currently broke
2011 Yamaha YFZ450X
2003 Yamaha YZ250
2003 Kawasaki Z1000