Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 01-20-2013, 02:10 PM
Team DMAX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01 D_Max View Post
For what it's worth...

I'd rebuild your 64mm, and sell it just in case there is something else wrong. Then get an s366 with a billet wheel.
I appreciate your suggestion and I'm so torn right now. But as far as selling it, I would NEVER sell someone a turbo if I thought there was a chance it would give them problems. I worked hard and saved up for all my truck mods. I would feel horrible if some guy worked hard and saved to buy my turbo and it blew up on him. If it was completely rebuilt and certified good by a shop that's a different story.

A smaller wheel I know would be nice for spool I know. An HE351 plus a big charger seems to be the cats meow for the dodge guys right now. However what I've experienced on the top end is addicting and I know will only get better going bigger. I still tow 3 trailers for work and a boat in the summer so some suggest staying with the 64 wheel to help get a load moving.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:20 PM
Why do I keep doing this?

Quote:
For what it's worth...

I'd rebuild your 64mm, and sell it just in case there is something else wrong. Then get an s366 with a billet wheel.
Damn. We dont do things like that to others here. This isnt DF.

Damien, Id just send it in to be looked over/rebuilt by a good, reputable shop. That way you have an expert doing the work, and some reassurance it was done properly.
"Kleshay" -- 2000 C5 Corvette -- the toy
"The Bigger Boat" -- 2011 Workhorse P700 - 6.0LS/Allison - what I drive at work

Two wrongs dont make a right, but three rights do make a left.

Reality is a matter of perspective.

This forum isn't for the weak of heart.....or wallet.

"Lets build a race car they said. Itll be fun they said. I don't know who "they" are.........but they need a good punch in the face!" -- mufflerguy (yb)
Old 01-20-2013, 03:17 PM
<<<Future tuna killer

Like most others have already said. Just rebuild it yourself, kits are cheap and easy to come by and it's not hard...

2015 Corvette Stingray Z 51 < Stock...

2016 LML CCSB Denali < Lifted 22's/35's, Fox 2.0 < I officially need help.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:10 PM
Team DMAX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBac View Post
Damn. We dont do things like that to others here. This isnt DF.

Damien, Id just send it in to be looked over/rebuilt by a good, reputable shop. That way you have an expert doing the work, and some reassurance it was done properly.
Thanks Tom, most likely I will do just that.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:21 PM
Vendor

If you tow a lot I remember Trent saying the best turbo he had for towing was a 62 - 64mm wheel single, being you have compounds I'm sure it's different.

If you decide to go bigger and want to sell this turbo as is let me know, I'd be interested.

Yellowchevy
Old 01-20-2013, 06:19 PM
Goin' Broke!

Hmmm... I guess that came out wrong!
I am not at all saying to dump a crap turbo on someone else. I also am not saying that turbo is crap. I was thinking as if I was in His situation I'd try a s366. But I would not re-sell it unless it was rebuilt and checked out to be a good turbo to resell.

I know this is not DF guys. That's exactly why I'm here and not there. I am sorry if that comment about "if anything else is wrong with it" offended anyone. Really, I don't throw garbage at other people. I throw it out!

2001 GMC Sierra 2500HD, CCSB

some mods...

Need LB7 Injectors? Check these prices out!
Lincoln Diesel Specialties
"Quality Parts and Service at an Unbeatable Price"

Or call us... 920-361-7700

Old 01-20-2013, 06:23 PM
<-----Lots of green $

Quote:
I am not at all saying to dump a crap turbo on someone else. I also am not saying that turbo is crap. I was thinking as if I was in His situation I'd try a s366. But I would not re-sell it unless it was rebuilt and checked out to be a good turbo to resell.

I know this is not DF guys. That's exactly why I'm here and not there. I am sorry if that comment about "if anything else is wrong with it" offended anyone. Really, I don't throw garbage at other people. I throw it out!
No problems all straightened out

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinelvis11
i'll let you use anything i got except my wife and my truck; it's too easy to throw a rod in either one):h
Quote: Carter 44
Boost is like a hot girl with an STD...you know you want to hit it but your afraid of the consequences
rollncoal07:Twining is wining
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRat View Post

You come off as a Timeshare Condo salesman on this site.

If you were helping folk with problems, or asking for input on your problems, it might be different, but from where I see, you are only a little different than the Russian spammers selling iPads that we delete.

Act like more of a human, and less like a spambot, and you'd probably catch less heat. This is "family", and it's our corner bar, and a group of guys with grease all over them leaning over fenders of somebodies truck that ain't making the right boost.

It's also one of few sites with more hardcore wrenches and racers than wannabees.

You're welcome to be a member here, and post about your build, but don't expect people to shower you with roses yet. That comes with seat time on the site, and on the track.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:29 PM
Team DMAX

Quote:

Ya no worries bud thanks for clarifying.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:35 PM
Team DMAX

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowchevy View Post
If you tow a lot I remember Trent saying the best turbo he had for towing was a 62 - 64mm wheel single, being you have compounds I'm sure it's different.

If you decide to go bigger and want to sell this turbo as is let me know, I'd be interested.

Yellowchevy
I will def keep this in mind as I truly have not ruled out getting a diff turbo all together. I LOVED this turbo as a single. To be honest, I don't tow anything of substantial weight. I've pulled skid steers around a bit and a small excavator once but normally just tandom axle flatbeds loaded with hardwood flooring and plywood, my 6x12 cargo trailer (floor install equipment and refinishing equipment with dust evacuators), and about 6k worth of boat. I imagine bigger turbos can still handle those jobs.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:01 PM
Why do I keep doing this?

What about that S371 Trent was talking about last year? He was very happy with its overall driving characteristics.

01_Dmax....good deal.
"Kleshay" -- 2000 C5 Corvette -- the toy
"The Bigger Boat" -- 2011 Workhorse P700 - 6.0LS/Allison - what I drive at work

Two wrongs dont make a right, but three rights do make a left.

Reality is a matter of perspective.

This forum isn't for the weak of heart.....or wallet.

"Lets build a race car they said. Itll be fun they said. I don't know who "they" are.........but they need a good punch in the face!" -- mufflerguy (yb)
Old 01-20-2013, 07:08 PM
future trans limpers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBUSHLB7 View Post
I will def keep this in mind as I truly have not ruled out getting a diff turbo all together. I LOVED this turbo as a single. To be honest, I don't tow anything of substantial weight. I've pulled skid steers around a bit and a small excavator once but normally just tandom axle flatbeds loaded with hardwood flooring and plywood, my 6x12 cargo trailer (floor install equipment and refinishing equipment with dust evacuators), and about 6k worth of boat. I imagine bigger turbos can still handle those jobs.
You can tow 6k with a large turbo. I tow 10k with mine but it takes a watchfull eye and downshifting allot on grades. 6k is no problem.

Landon-2006 Silverado CCSB 4X4 LBZ
Rebuilt engine by Burkett Racing Engines
LBZ rods,.20 over LB7 pistons, head studs, balanced rotating assembly.
Exergy 12 mil stroker pump/ Exergy 200 overs
S475/88 hybrid compounds, turbos specked by Mark @ Danville Performance, Kit built by myself and Moparkxracer "Shade Tree Triples"
Cylinder Pressure/Dyno tuning by Danville Performance
Trans built by Diesel Addiction/ 1072-2 Limitless Diesel converter
Old 01-20-2013, 09:27 PM
Team DMAX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBac View Post
What about that S371 Trent was talking about last year? He was very happy with its overall driving characteristics.

01_Dmax....good deal.
A good buddy of mine has the s371 and loves it. Another problem for me though lies in the need for fabrication of a different hot pipe should I switch turbos. My BD is waste gated and sits so extremely close to the firewall. My current hot pipe is truly one of and built for that exact turbo not to mention clears stock y bridge and GMC hood tolerances. I'm not a welder and have no fabrication skills. Unfortuneately making a different hot pipe is prob out of the question for me. I'm going to call BD and HTT both in the morning and sort out my rebuild options and report back.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:21 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBUSHLB7 View Post
If you only haul that much then I wouldn't be afraid to step up to a large turbo, but I understand the money aspect in that you already have the turbo and I'm thinking it would be cheaper to rebuild than replace.

What ever you decide I'm thinking a little porting/polishing will help the turbo out .

Yellowchevy
Old 01-21-2013, 08:22 AM
Fixing it till it breaks

I say step up Damian. I've had no issues towing with my 66. I may have one for sale now

'03 Silverado LB7
GT3788/CT6x88mm compounds _ 60's _ duals _ fingers _ 6480af
'77 K-10
52"/56" front/rear leaf springs and rear shackle flip: 8" lift total _ D60/14blt 4:56s _ 40" Swamper IROK's _ 383 w/nitrous _ SM465 _ 208tcase
'97 Cadillac Deville
Morimoto Mini 5000k projector headlight conversion _ 500watts in the trunk _ 20's _ Flowmasters _ Tuned ECM _ Rear mount turbo in the works....
Old 01-21-2013, 08:50 AM
Team DMAX

It's killing me not being able to know if my hot pipe would work with your 66 Dustin. I'd do it in a heartbeat. Would I need your pedistal? The turbos are so similar and even have the same waste gate setup.

Last edited by DBUSHLB7; 01-21-2013 at 08:56 AM.