Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 07-18-2018, 07:41 PM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne-max View Post
Napa Fleet Pads & Rotors work vary vary well. Lots of brake dust but are holding up great in my street/race truck.

Well after NAPA boned me on my starter that failed literally 5 times I really try and avoid them.

Put starter in, works for a week, dies. The activation stud was so loose on the last 2 it would fall in contact with the main power lug.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-Built Motor, Bullseye Batmowheel S475/87/1.0 "Comp R75", Exergy 250% overs with "Redman" internal mods, Exergy 14mm street pump w/AN feed, Goerend "J" Converter, Built Trans, AD2 165, Beans Sump, E-Locker, TrueTrac, Yukon 4340 Shafts, Traction Bars, DHD Center Link Brace, DHD Lower Crossmember Support

Past Rides:
1) 2002 LB7 CCSB, Leather, Loaded
-New Bosch Reman Injectors, New LBZ CP3, FASS 150, RCD Sump, 3" MBRP Downpipe, 4" Downpipe Back w/ Muffler, Sleeves, DHD Centerlink Brace, DHD Lower Crossmember Support, Steering Wheel Radio Control Swap
Old 07-18-2018, 07:53 PM
Gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdsankey View Post
30-40k would take me too long to get to.

Are Stock calipers good enough? Now leaning towards the EBC slotted with yellow pads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I only had the stock calipers and thought they did a decent job. I would start there.

I'll check tomorrow, but I think I have a set of rear rotors still sitting around I could sell you. If I find them Ill PM you.

Sold: 2003 LB7 CCLB 350K miles
Old 07-18-2018, 07:59 PM
Why do I keep doing this?

Just how many mph are we talking about slowing down from?
How quickly do you want to stop, anyway?
What weight?

I bought the Powerstop rotors from Rockauto years ago for the little truck. I used stock rebuilt calipers with NAPA heavy duty pads. No miles, though.
Other than using NAPA premium rotors, its the same setup Ive used for 10 years on BBT (6450 or 7200 lbs), and Ive never had an issue stopping quickly and confidently, either on the road or at the track.
"Kleshay" -- 2000 C5 Corvette -- the toy
"The Bigger Boat" -- 2011 Workhorse P700 - 6.0LS/Allison - what I drive at work

Two wrongs dont make a right, but three rights do make a left.

Reality is a matter of perspective.

This forum isn't for the weak of heart.....or wallet.

"Lets build a race car they said. Itll be fun they said. I don't know who "they" are.........but they need a good punch in the face!" -- mufflerguy (yb)

Last edited by TheBac; 07-18-2018 at 08:06 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:04 PM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBac View Post
What weight?
When Iím driving to a pull and horsing around running cars itís on the way home weighing 8500-8700lb.

I usually lift at 120 or when I realize the speedo is gone.
-Built Motor, Bullseye Batmowheel S475/87/1.0 "Comp R75", Exergy 250% overs with "Redman" internal mods, Exergy 14mm street pump w/AN feed, Goerend "J" Converter, Built Trans, AD2 165, Beans Sump, E-Locker, TrueTrac, Yukon 4340 Shafts, Traction Bars, DHD Center Link Brace, DHD Lower Crossmember Support

Past Rides:
-New Bosch Reman Injectors, New LBZ CP3, FASS 150, RCD Sump, 3" MBRP Downpipe, 4" Downpipe Back w/ Muffler, Sleeves, DHD Centerlink Brace, DHD Lower Crossmember Support, Steering Wheel Radio Control Swap
Old 07-18-2018, 08:05 PM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman22 View Post
I only had the stock calipers and thought they did a decent job. I would start there.

I'll check tomorrow, but I think I have a set of rear rotors still sitting around I could sell you. If I find them Ill PM you.
A set of new rear rotors? Iíll pm you.

Past Rides:
Old 07-18-2018, 08:23 PM
Shits broke

Quote:
What weight?

I bought the Powerstop rotors from Rockauto years ago for the little truck. I used stock rebuilt calipers with NAPA heavy duty pads. No miles, though.
Other than using NAPA premium rotors, its the same setup Ive used for 10 years on BBT (6450 or 7200 lbs), and Ive never had an issue stopping quickly and confidently, either on the road or at the track.
The biggest difference I notice was with initial bite. My truck never had problems stopping but I just wanted more

Thanks to Mike L, SoCal Diesel, and Abel Chevorlet.

Tailgate Crew Member #1
Old 07-18-2018, 08:39 PM
Why do I keep doing this?

Dont take that as a comment about your research, Anthony. I very much respect your research and what you found out.

I was just relaying my experiences to bd. A person can never have good enough brakes at the track.
"Kleshay" -- 2000 C5 Corvette -- the toy
"The Bigger Boat" -- 2011 Workhorse P700 - 6.0LS/Allison - what I drive at work

Two wrongs dont make a right, but three rights do make a left.

Reality is a matter of perspective.

This forum isn't for the weak of heart.....or wallet.

"Lets build a race car they said. Itll be fun they said. I don't know who "they" are.........but they need a good punch in the face!" -- mufflerguy (yb)
Old 07-18-2018, 10:29 PM
Shits broke

Quote:
Dont take that as a comment about your research, Anthony. I very much respect your research and what you found out.

I was just relaying my experiences to bd. A person can never have good enough brakes at the track.
Not at all my stock rotors were garbage and I replaced them with premium Napa rotors at 20,000. The Napa rotors lasted 80,000 but had concerning surface cracks and the rears were warped and I didnít notice till I replaced them. For 99% of people Napa rotors and heavy duty pads would be fine ( I donít like ceramic pads they seem to glaze the rotor). I drive my truck like my corvette so that could be the problem lol

Thanks to Mike L, SoCal Diesel, and Abel Chevorlet.

Tailgate Crew Member #1
Old 07-19-2018, 04:16 AM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmduramax View Post
Not at all my stock rotors were garbage and I replaced them with premium Napa rotors at 20,000. The Napa rotors lasted 80,000 but had concerning surface cracks and the rears were warped and I didn’t notice till I replaced them. For 99% of people Napa rotors and heavy duty pads would be fine ( I don’t like ceramic pads they seem to glaze the rotor). I drive my truck like my corvette so that could be the problem lol
That’s how I drive mine but it tends to be only at its heaviest hahaha. I also just got it put back together with a built motor. Doubt I’ll build another motor but damn is this 75mm addictive.

Tiny little air filter HSP uses allowed me to get 48-50psi of boost. Took thebfilter off and did 60-62psi. When I got dyno tuned at Duramax Tuner I had the filter on and it still did 820/1748 so who knows what it actually does.

I thoroughly appreciate the input by everyone. At this point it’s going to be EBC slotted or dimpled/slotted rotors with yellow pads.

Past Rides: