Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 08-08-2018, 11:23 AM
Part-Timer

Default P0340 Camshaft Position sensor

So this morning driving into work my truck threw the P0340 cam sensor code. The RPM dial was jumping all over the place, however the truck ran fine. It's not knocking. I've read through some posts and most lean towards the sensor itself. How hard of a job is it? The stealership near me quoted $500.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
EFI Live Tuning(Moonshine) via Tony@RidgeRunner, 4094 STG2 Garrett Turbo, 4" Stainless Magnaflow Exhaust, Magnaflow Downpipe, AirDog II 165 4G, Edge CTS Insight, S&B CAI, Transgo Jr, PPE trans pan , PPE ported fuel rail fittings, DMAX store ultimate front end stage 3, DMAX store stage 3 leveling kit and ALWAYS running with AMSOIL👍
Old 08-08-2018, 11:32 AM
don't know sh!t about IFS

will the truck restart? generally it wont restart after throwing that code if it really is bad.

pull upper fan shroud, pull fan, pull belt, pull fan pulley bracket out and replace sensor.
James

02 LB7, LLY, LBZ, LMM, LML, L5P 2500HD CC/LB dmax/alli "The Limo"

BIG THANKS TO: Mike L, Steve, Trent, Guy, Dan, Ruben, Josh H, Scott, Brian and everyone else who has put a hand in to help me.

best time to date: 12.39

motor died/bent rods = 3/11/11
back from the dead 7:04pm 4/9/2012

Limo is back in the garage, now driving a built chevy tracker
Tailgate Crew Member #4
Old 08-08-2018, 11:38 AM
Part-Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy1925 View Post
will the truck restart? generally it wont restart after throwing that code if it really is bad.

pull upper fan shroud, pull fan, pull belt, pull fan pulley bracket out and replace sensor.
Yes, it's not restarting at all. I cranked on it a few times and it flashed the CEL and then holds steady with CEL. A couple times it acted like it wanted to turn over completely by I think the ECM is preventing it. Of course all this happens when I dont have the time to fix it.

EFI Live Tuning(Moonshine) via Tony@RidgeRunner, 4094 STG2 Garrett Turbo, 4" Stainless Magnaflow Exhaust, Magnaflow Downpipe, AirDog II 165 4G, Edge CTS Insight, S&B CAI, Transgo Jr, PPE trans pan , PPE ported fuel rail fittings, DMAX store ultimate front end stage 3, DMAX store stage 3 leveling kit and ALWAYS running with AMSOIL👍
Old 08-08-2018, 04:32 PM
Hotrodder

DTC P0340

Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor Circuit

Circuit/System Description

The hall effect camshaft position (CMP) sensor produces 3 ON/OFF pulses for each revolution of the camshaft. The CMP output is pulse width encoded. The engine control module (ECM) uses the CMP and crankshaft position (CKP) output pulses to determine the engine speed and position. The CMP is connected directly to the ECM by the following circuits:

The 5-volt reference circuit
The low reference circuit
The CMP sensor signal circuit

Conditions for Running the DTC

The ignition is ON.
The engine is turning faster than 50 RPM.
DTC P0340 runs continuously when the above conditions are met.
DTCs P0335, P0336, P0642, or P0643 are not set.

Conditions for Setting the DTC

The ECM does not see a CMP sensor signal for more than 2 seconds.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets

DTC P0340 is a Type A DTC.

Conditions for Clearing the MIL/DTC

DTC P0340 is a Type A DTC.

Diagnostic Aids

If the CMP sensor signal is lost while running, the engine will operate normally. If the CMP sensor signal is not present on start-up, the engine will not start.

Circuit/System Verification

If DTCs P0642 or P0643 are set, diagnose those DTCs first.
Engine running, observe the DTC information with a scan tool. DTC P0340 should not set.
Operate the vehicle within the Conditions for Running the DTC. You may also operate the vehicle within the conditions that you observed from the Freeze Frame/Failure Records data.

Circuit/System Testing

Disconnect the CMP sensor.
Test for less than 1 ohm between low reference circuit terminal 2 on the ECM side of the connector and ground.

If greater than the specified value, test the low reference circuit for an open/high resistance. If the circuit tests normal, replace the ECM.

Ignition ON, test for 4.8-5.2 volts between the 5-volt reference circuit terminal 3 on the ECM side of the connector and ground.

If less that the specified range, test the 5-volt reference circuit for an open/high resistance or short to ground. If the circuit tests normal, replace the ECM.
If greater than the specified range, test the 5-volt reference circuit for a short to voltage. If the circuit tests normal, replace the ECM.

Ignition ON, test for 4.8-5.2 volts between the signal circuit terminal 1 on the ECM side of the connector and ground.

If less than the specified range, test the affected signal circuit for an open/high resistance or short to ground. If the circuit tests normal, replace the ECM.
If greater than the specified range, test the affected signal circuit for a short to voltage. If the circuit tests normal, replace the ECM.

Ignition OFF, connect a 3A fused jumper wire to the CMP signal circuit terminal 1 on the ECM side of the connector.
Ignition ON, momentarily touch the end of the fused jumper wire to ground. The CAM signal present and the engine RPM parameters on the scan tool should change.

If the CAM signal present and the engine RPM does not change, replace the ECM.

Ignition OFF, inspect the wiring harness for any damage, opens or shorts.

If the circuits test normal, replace the CMP sensor.

2008 Chevy Silverado LT, SRW, Crew Cab, LB, LMM/Allison, Rear lowered 2": otherwise, fully stock at this point. Edge Insight CTS
Old 08-08-2018, 05:40 PM
xgmtech

check the harness down by the ecm. the harness likes to rub on the inside of the fender liner. I had a lbz same code and it was rubbed and turned green down there

06 lbz ec/sb. stock motor, Danville 4094s2r, built trans by me, limitless 1078 converter, 60% sticks, S&S 12mm pump. dyno tuned by mark @ Danville. 775hp 1383ftlb

best so far. 11.440 @ 118.12 1.623 60ft

06 lbz rc/fb dually work truck. Danville tuned
Old 08-09-2018, 02:51 AM
Part-Timer

Thanks guys, I will look into it