Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 10-14-2018, 05:46 AM
Gearhead

I'm heading to Walmart today so going to pick up what I can. Probably oil, filter, diff fluid. Merchant website I guess for all the trans stuff. I think the owners manual had quantities. Dexcool for coolant.

Thanks for the help!

Now that I'm posting in the right section, I'm seeing alot more info I'm needing.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 10-14-2018, 06:15 AM
Gearhead

Checked out the sticky for fluid capacity. Sounds like the only thing I need from the dealer is the transfer case fluid unless I run motor oil in it. Not sure my ring gear size, being a dully does that mean I have the bigger one and need 3 qt in the front? Maybe I should go to dealer to see what their computer brings up for my truck?

Old 10-14-2018, 07:32 AM
Hotrodder

If your getting a filter at Walmart don't. Wix oil or delco. Probably already stated red Allison only for trans. Delco or racor or Baldwin for fuel. Google is your best friend. Or use search function. These things have been covered many many times on here
Old 10-14-2018, 07:38 AM
Gearhead

Cool man, thanks. So many opinions out there. I haven't had a chevy in a while and didn't even know acdelco was their brand. I thought walmart had acdelco filters. Fuel filter was changed by dealer very recently. Nice to get a truck with all these maintenance records.

I take it the fuel filter is a water separator as well? What micron rating are they? I like the cat filter idea if that is what most people recommend.

I am doing searching as well but alot of opinions and old data out there.

Old 10-14-2018, 07:48 AM
Isuzu Shakes IT

Donaldson makes a water separator that will fit the CAT adaptors, P553203 or P553207. Don't waste money on Transynd for the transmission, just run any Dex3 fluid. Same for transfer case. The Walmarts around here sell Mobil 1 and AC oil filters, so it's fine to get supplies there. I think these other guys just didn't want you to buy a Fram which I agree with
Jesse
Old 10-14-2018, 07:54 AM
Gearhead

Gotcha, I know fram sucks. From experience! I will check the trans fluid at Walmart. My use for the truck will be 98% towing at 12k lb camper so want to do what I can to make it last.

Old 10-14-2018, 07:55 AM
Gearhead

Looks like the factory fuel filter is dual layer filter for 10 to 4 micron.

Old 10-14-2018, 08:51 AM
Gearhead

Man, too much info out there. So for the trans, sounds like just drain and replace spin on filter. Don't mess with internal filter? Book says fluid and filter at 25k miles for heavy use.

Old 10-14-2018, 09:15 AM
Hotrodder

Can't hurt to replace internal could it?? I did mine. I agree on the dex3 but not for the transfer case if its push button. Shift on the floor yes dex3 but push button needs delco trac or water ever they sell at the dealer.
Old 10-14-2018, 09:29 AM
Gearhead

Sounds like you can't get much fluid out so might just dona quick spin filter and fluids, then after my trip next weekend do both.

Old 10-14-2018, 11:40 AM
Gearhead

Walmart didn't have much. Just picked up some t6 and acdelco filter. They had prestone dexcool stuff but were out of distilled water so will do that later. They only had supertec trans fluid so didn't mess with that.

Old 10-14-2018, 12:06 PM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckmans83 View Post
Walmart didn't have much. Just picked up some t6 and acdelco filter. They had prestone dexcool stuff but were out of distilled water so will do that later. They only had supertec trans fluid so didn't mess with that.

EFI tuner , 125,000 MI , will be towing anytime truck is in use , 05 LLY , It is good to learn about the fluids and filters now because you may be needing to change them again when you need head gaskets & studs and a transmission & converter but happy towing until then and do not jump on it while towing , tuned , in 5 th !
AFE Blade Runner,AFE Momentum CAI,DHD Big Air intake Y pipe, DHD fuel block,DHD pcv reroute,MBRP 4 inch exhaust,DHD 3 inch downpipe,BD driver's side manifold,DHD pass side up pipe,DHD 3 inch intercooler hot&cold pipes, ATI damper,Empire pin kit by Big Foot on & off road shop, FASS fuel system,5/8 inch pickup, FASS fuel filter delete, EFI live,V2 & lap top , 5 position switch 250 hp big tune, shimmed fprv by Crank it up , built SunCoast Allison 1078 converter aftermarket trany mount by Limitless Diesel,ARP head studs,grade C gaskets,tig-welded water pump,T stats by Blackout performance,MA t case brace , Kriptonite motor mounts,MA pump rub kit,HD drive shaft 1480joints by Greensburg machine,BDS Recoil traction bars, PPE finned deep pan , Mike L trany cooler, PSC pump, 5100s, Sulastic Shackles, Curt com 2.5 hitch
Old 10-14-2018, 12:54 PM
Hotrodder

Fram's tough guard and synthetic filters are actually quite good. Both of these are typically sold Walmart. Their basic filters are the junk ones.

If your not ready yet to switch over to a CAT filter/adapter then the Racor filter PFF50216 is probably the next best one. Has water separator built in and fits the stock housing. These are what I run

For the rear diff just run any 75w-90. No need for anything fancy or with special additives. Just make sure it is a good quality brand and you will be fine.

Transynd is good stuff but can be costly. If it is too much for you get some good Dex 3 fluid. Only change the external filter with a genuine Allison filter. Unless you are doing major work or a rebuild you shouldn't have to touch the internal filter

Enough oil. I run T6 but most any 5w-40 or 15w-40 diesel rated will do just fine synthetic or not

Transfer case. Normally it is two quarts of ATF but many have found it real low or dry when checking it. To help with this some, including myself, run 3 quarts of 5w-30 oil. Lasts much longer and provides better lubrication. There are several threads on this if you want to read up on it

2006 BRM Jetta TDI. Injectors, turbo, Malone custom tuning on ecm and tcm
Old 10-14-2018, 12:59 PM
Gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by torqued2dmax View Post
EFI tuner , 125,000 MI , will be towing anytime truck is in use , 05 LLY , It is good to learn about the fluids and filters now because you may be needing to change them again when you need head gaskets & studs and a transmission & converter but happy towing until then and do not jump on it while towing , tuned , in 5 th !
The pcm was programed for heavy towing I guess and doesn't have a programmer. Good to hear all the good stuff about the duramax, haha, y'all are scaring me. Is it that bad? My 7.3 did great just not a big enough truck for a 35 ft 12k lb camper.

Old 10-14-2018, 01:03 PM
Gearhead

My 7.3 feels faster if that means anything as far as the duramax tune that I have. But the 7.3 is lighter and has a bunch of stuff done to it besides turbo and injectors.