Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 11-13-2018, 09:15 AM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crulpeak View Post
even various shell casings! (9mm, .308, 12ga for the curious)
OMG the shell casing, we're still finding them, we found three or four when we pulled the bed off.

I hope the previous owner never gets pissed at us, that guy throws some serious lead around!

2015.5 Denali. Dmax Allison, under construction.
Old 11-13-2018, 09:18 AM
FNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 036.6turbo View Post
OMG the shell casing, we're still finding them, we found three or four when we pulled the bed off.

I hope the previous owner never gets pissed at us, that guy throws some serious lead around!

LOL that's the truth! Those steel-case 9mm worked their way into tons of little spots...

BTW I think your sig needs some updating
Old 11-13-2018, 09:29 AM
Gearhead

Quote:
Thanks, we are too- it has been a blast, but we are all ready to get her on the road and "complete" - although I can ever leave 'em be for very long

I think we all have that problem
Cognito leveling kit
Cognito Pisk
Fox Shocks
Mike L dummy trans solenoid
18x9 +18 Method wheels
295/70/18 Nitto Terra G2's

LB7 - Sold

Last edited by TheBac; 11-13-2018 at 07:33 PM. Reason: repaired quote
Old 11-13-2018, 10:07 AM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crulpeak View Post
BTW I think your sig needs some updating
It does.

Old 11-13-2018, 10:59 AM
Hotrodder

Do y'all mind sharing the cost to undertake something like this? And I assume financing is not an option on a vehicle rebuild unlike a home where you can get "construction" loans that morph into mortgages?

SOLD02 Chevy 2500HD D/A EC SB LS
SCIII & X-Case brace by MA, Team Salad tuning & Trippin's DSP5, 4" Diamond Eye exhaust, Fumoto Valve, partially debadged, Rhino Bed Liner, SuperDiesel Intake Manifold and Ported Turbo Inlet

1983 GMC K30 CC SHORT BED
Awaiting Dmax/Allison Chassis Swap

Old 11-13-2018, 12:28 PM
FNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeShow View Post
Do y'all mind sharing the cost to undertake something like this? And I assume financing is not an option on a vehicle rebuild unlike a home where you can get "construction" loans that morph into mortgages?
Seems like the willingness to finance salvage and/or rebuilt titles varies from bank to bank, but mine valued the truck at 50% of book value (in its totaled state) and purchase price was well below that.

Rebuild $$ can get tricky, I decided not to wrap those costs into the loan but I could have (up to that 50% value number)

I will be into this truck for ~$40k all told, from the WCFab parts & CP3 conversion to miscellaneous seals/gaskets to shipping/taxes on the truck & all parts.

Obviously I could have done this much more economically if I wanted to, but this will be a long term daily for me (as well as 5er hauler when the time comes) and I wanted to have zero doubts for years to come. Plus I didn't want to be tearing back into it any time soon

Last edited by Crulpeak; 11-13-2018 at 12:38 PM.
Old 11-13-2018, 02:28 PM
Hotrodder

Cool, thanks for sharing! Again, you're going to have a super nice truck when you and your dad are done!

SOLD02 Chevy 2500HD D/A EC SB LS
SCIII & X-Case brace by MA, Team Salad tuning & Trippin's DSP5, 4" Diamond Eye exhaust, Fumoto Valve, partially debadged, Rhino Bed Liner, SuperDiesel Intake Manifold and Ported Turbo Inlet

1983 GMC K30 CC SHORT BED
Awaiting Dmax/Allison Chassis Swap

Old 11-14-2018, 10:45 AM
FNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeShow View Post
Cool, thanks for sharing! Again, you're going to have a super nice truck when you and your dad are done!
Thanks, I (we) definitely enjoy the challenges in getting them back together.
I work for GM and really get a kick out of people scrutinizing the rebuilds and comparing them to vehicles coming off the line, and I push myself to match that level of quality.

It's not for everyone, but this way I got the exact truck I wanted, plus all of the customization, in one shot. Considering what it would have cost me to build a similar clean title truck, and the time/mileage I will have this truck for, I'm happy with having gone this route.

Now, if I could just get my hands on the remaining parts I need! Mostly trim and small brackets/etc. Figuring out what you need BEFORE you need it is half the battle, lol.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 11-14-2018, 11:33 AM
Why do I keep doing this?

Well, you are your father's son. I really like that blue.
"Kleshay" -- 2000 C5 Corvette -- the toy
"The Bigger Boat" -- 2011 Workhorse P700 - 6.0LS/Allison - what I drive at work

Two wrongs dont make a right, but three rights do make a left.

Reality is a matter of perspective.

This forum isn't for the weak of heart.....or wallet.

"Lets build a race car they said. Itll be fun they said. I don't know who "they" are.........but they need a good punch in the face!" -- mufflerguy (yb)
Old 11-15-2018, 04:17 AM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBac View Post
Well, you are your father's son. I really like that blue.
Haha!

Yes Tom, he's grown up in that shop, tearing stuff apart and putting it back together, he's cursed now to do it the rest of his life!!

But yeah, I figured you'd like that blue, it is pretty.

Old 11-15-2018, 04:29 AM
Hotrodder

Well, not much progress on the truck yesterday. It was an up and down day in the shop.

We had a problem with the air compressor that I thought was the motor starter. I ordered a replacement Monday, it arrived yesterday. Sadly that wasn't the problem. Upon further diagnosis, I discovered the capacitors have failed. Needless to say, I was less than excited about that revelation.

But the parts are on the way, hopefully Friday we'll be up and running again.

If you ever have a compressor issue, call these guys, they are awesome.
https://www.pacificaircompressors.com/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OTJP8415.jpg (187.1 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8455_tn.jpg (197.8 KB, 34 views)

Old 11-15-2018, 04:42 AM
Hotrodder

Now for the "up" part of the day.

My spray guns are getting pretty banged up and seem to malfunction at the most inopportune time during a job.

Being a hobbyist and not painting everyday, I've never felt justified to spend much cash on good equipment. But my lovely bride got tired of watching me redo something (and listening to me bitch about it).

She found a set of guns on FB Marketplace. The guy just came out of tech school, thought he wanted to be a painter, but changed career paths.

He had a full set of SATAJETs he had never even run air through. We worked out a deal, now I can't blame my screw ups on my guns anymore! LOL.

Sorry to bore you guys with non truck related content, but who else will understand the excitement of getting cool new tools for the shop?

Last edited by 036.6turbo; 11-15-2018 at 07:55 AM.
Old 11-15-2018, 06:05 AM
<that’s not me...

New tools are almost as exciting as new trucks for me. Love y’all work. Look forward to seeing it buttoned up and finished.

Other toys:
1982 K10 6.2 Detroit diesel/sm465/np205 with 4 inch lift and 35s. Fixed and driving again
2011 Yamaha YFZ450X
2003 Yamaha YZ250
2003 Kawasaki Z1000
Old 11-15-2018, 06:13 AM
Hotrodder

New tools are always exciting man.

I keep several sets of tools and boxes available at the house. Just depends on the job that needs done.

How big is your guys shop?
456HP 925 TQ
Old 11-15-2018, 06:55 AM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakkb787 View Post
New tools are almost as exciting as new trucks for me. Love y’all work. Look forward to seeing it buttoned up and finished.
Thanks! We are too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lutzjk913 View Post
New tools are always exciting man.

I keep several sets of tools and boxes available at the house. Just depends on the job that needs done.

How big is your guys shop?
Not big enough, LOL.

26'x34' with a 8'x24' storage addition on the back.

Definitely not big enough, but we make it work. Takes planning and organization.

Like with this one, we completed the interior first, before doing anything else, so as to not have too many things sitting around cluttering up the shop.

Then it went out for frame work (timing on that was based on availability of our frame guy)

Once it was home, we pulled the front sheetmetal to color match the interior surfaces, but that allowed us to do all the motor work with the front clip off, made life much easier. The downside to that is no bodywork can be done while the motor is torn down, too much dust.

The other downside is we had to rehang all the front clip to have 12v power / flash the tune in the ECM / have the stack in place (for obvious reasons).

Now we are in the situation where the extreme lower portions of the "A" pillars need some bodywork attention, would have been nice to do those with the fenders off, but to complete test firing the motor, we needed the fenders on.

So it takes planning. We make it work.