Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 08-04-2018, 06:04 PM
Gearhead

Default Reverse issue

Hello. Recently my dad has had a problem with his 09 lmm. Twice now when the vehicle is first started and the trans. is cold, when put into reverse it takes throttle to get it to start moving. Once up to operating temp.it has never done it. Trans oil and both filters where just changed about 6000 miles ago. I checked trans. Fluid level and itís half way up the hot crosshatch when itís at operating temp.. No codes yet. The truck is stock accept for exhaust, deleted, single efi live 40hp tune. Has roughly 120,000 miles, heís owned it since new and doesnít beat on it. What could be the issue?
Old 08-04-2018, 08:33 PM
Shits broke

Has it always done it or since you changed the filters? Maybe the internal filter isn’t seated right.

Thanks to Mike L, SoCal Diesel, and Abel Chevorlet.

Tailgate Crew Member #1
Old 08-05-2018, 06:47 AM
Hotrodder

Front pump is on its way out or something is letting it loose prime. Tell him to not throw it in reverse so fast if he wants it to live. The trans is starved of fluid and from what I have been told this will kill it especially in reverse.

He probably notices it more if the truck sits for longer times. My 04 that only gets driven once a month has the same problem even though it has a Mike L trans in it. I fire it up, and find something else to do for 30 seconds to allow the trans to distribute the fluid through itself.
EGR blocked. PCV rerouted. Resonator blocked (reinstalled for looks). Bladerunner installed. Dead kitty by MBRP (front pipe) and down tube replaced with the MBRP (heat wrapped from the turbo down to the front pipe).
Performax Gauges by ISSPRO in pod over mirror and overhead console (console pod by PPE). Mike L Transmission.
----Looking to do an onboard air with a set of truck air horns. Want Nathan K5LA's but not in the budget at the moment.----

06 GMC CCSB 2WD LBZ SLT package. Traded for '17 Denali

18 Denali CCSB 2500 4WD Mineral Metallic with Cocoa/Dark Sand Interior
Old 08-05-2018, 07:43 AM
Gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmduramax View Post
Has it always done it or since you changed the filters? Maybe the internal filter isnít seated right.
No. He doesnít put many miles on it. I changed fluid and filters 3 months or so ago, and it did it once last weekend, and now again yesterday.
Old 08-05-2018, 07:46 AM
Gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawles2 View Post
Front pump is on its way out or something is letting it loose prime. Tell him to not throw it in reverse so fast if he wants it to live. The trans is starved of fluid and from what I have been told this will kill it especially in reverse.

He probably notices it more if the truck sits for longer times. My 04 that only gets driven once a month has the same problem even though it has a Mike L trans in it. I fire it up, and find something else to do for 30 seconds to allow the trans to distribute the fluid through itself.
Ok. This is disappointing news.
Old 08-05-2018, 08:08 AM
Got Sheep?

Defective sealing rings in the Allison. Won't hurt anything if you just give it a little extra time to warm up.

Tuned by Idaho Rob.
Old 08-05-2018, 08:17 AM
Gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L. View Post
Defective sealing rings in the Allison. Won't hurt anything if you just give it a little extra time to warm up.
Ok. Thanks for posting. Iíll let him know.