Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 10-28-2018, 05:23 PM
Gearhead

Default Truck in and out of reverse

Today my truck started feeling like it is popping out of gear in reverse. It feels like it's in neutral for a second then bangs back into reverse. It only does it some times when you are backing up an incline or a trailer where you need to give it some throttle to keep moving. I cannot get it to happen by holding the brake and giving throttle stationary It seems the truck needs to be moving. Seems to do it 50% of the time. Otherwise it is normal with no noises when it's not acting up. Can the transfer case cause this sympton only in reverse? I'm hoping it's not in the trans. Trans was built almost 3 years ago and has been flawless. I'm going to drain the transfer case fluid when I get time and check for metal but wanted to see if anyone had this issues and could point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Banks intake, profab horn, banks big head, LDS 63.5 mm wheel kit, ATP tunes, DSP 5, 4 exhaust, mbpr downpipe, kennedy single lift pump w/cat filter, Dipper trans. BT diesel works lock up box. all moog front tie rods with sleeves. Moog idler and pitman arm. 285/75/16 tires.

Boost, egt, lift pump pressure, and rail pressure gauges
Old 10-28-2018, 07:48 PM
don't know sh!t about IFS

Not a good thing. Iirc mine did the same thing and it was a torn apply piston
James

02 LB7, LLY, LBZ, LMM, LML, L5P 2500HD CC/LB dmax/alli "The Limo"

BIG THANKS TO: Mike L, Steve, Trent, Guy, Dan, Ruben, Josh H, Scott, Brian and everyone else who has put a hand in to help me.

best time to date: 12.39

motor died/bent rods = 3/11/11
back from the dead 7:04pm 4/9/2012

Limo is back in the garage, now driving a built chevy tracker
Tailgate Crew Member #4
Old 10-28-2018, 08:46 PM
Beer Nazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hnkstang50 View Post
Today my truck started feeling like it is popping out of gear in reverse. It feels like it's in neutral for a second then bangs back into reverse. It only does it some times when you are backing up an incline or a trailer where you need to give it some throttle to keep moving. I cannot get it to happen by holding the brake and giving throttle stationary It seems the truck needs to be moving. Seems to do it 50% of the time. Otherwise it is normal with no noises when it's not acting up. Can the transfer case cause this sympton only in reverse? I'm hoping it's not in the trans. Trans was built almost 3 years ago and has been flawless. I'm going to drain the transfer case fluid when I get time and check for metal but wanted to see if anyone had this issues and could point me in the right direction.

Thanks
Time to make a trip to MD

HUGE Thanks to Chris, Mike L., McRat Racing, Total Performance Diesel, PPE, Trent, Wicked Diesel, Mike, Henry of Creatures of the Night, Exergy Engineering and the rest of Team Salad<--My Tailgate's Always open for all of you!!

11.84 @ 115
Tailgate Crew Member #2
Old 10-29-2018, 03:34 AM
Gearhead

I was reading about a torn c3 piston . My problem happens when I'm on the throttle. From what I was reading with others situations if it was a torn piston it would bang into gear with throttle and fall out when off the throttle. Just hoping it wasn't going to be in the trans. What causes a torn piston? I was ideling for like 15 mins jump starting a stupid bucket loader before this happened.

Thanks for you input guys

Banks intake, profab horn, banks big head, LDS 63.5 mm wheel kit, ATP tunes, DSP 5, 4 exhaust, mbpr downpipe, kennedy single lift pump w/cat filter, Dipper trans. BT diesel works lock up box. all moog front tie rods with sleeves. Moog idler and pitman arm. 285/75/16 tires.

Old 10-29-2018, 03:55 AM
Why do I keep doing this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paint94979 View Post
Time to make a trip to MD
I tend to agree.
"Kleshay" -- 2000 C5 Corvette -- the toy
"The Bigger Boat" -- 2011 Workhorse P700 - 6.0LS/Allison - what I drive at work

Two wrongs dont make a right, but three rights do make a left.

Reality is a matter of perspective.

This forum isn't for the weak of heart.....or wallet.

"Lets build a race car they said. Itll be fun they said. I don't know who "they" are.........but they need a good punch in the face!" -- mufflerguy (yb)
Old 10-29-2018, 03:59 AM
<<<Future tuna killer

Externally ground tcm and see if it fixes the problem...
2010 GMC 1500 SCSB Denali Clone < lifted 22's/33's, Kooks, Magnaflow, 5.3, 6l80, TVS1900, lots of boost, Mayhem tuned, etc... <<<<Broken Under Construction : BTR boost cam, sodium valves, titanium springs, 15% overdriven balancer, 80lb squirters>>>>

1969 MGB GT MKII Factory Condition

2016 LML CCSB Denali < Lifted 22's/35's, Fox 2.0 < I officially need help.
Old 10-29-2018, 08:58 AM
Yes, its really me

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC-smokinlmm View Post
Externally ground tcm and see if it fixes the problem...

QUIT TELLING PEOPLE TO DO THIS!!!!!!!!

He has an 02 according to his signature and that means he has a 5 speed TCM which will be instantly FRIED if he grounds it!!! I donít know why you keep telling people to do this when Iíve pointed this out to you before multiple times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2009 ECI Diesel Truck Points Champion
2010 ECI Diesel Truck Points Champion
2011 ECI Diesel Truck Points Champion
2012 ECI Diesel Truck Points Champion

Big thanks to everyone who helps me.

Best 1/8th, 7.29, 98.6MPH (Street tires, fuel only, single Journal bearing GT42 charger) (2010)

Best 1/8th, 6.93, 104.24MPH (Street tires, fuel only, single HX60 turbo) (2016)

Best 1/8th, 6.60, 106.6MPH (Street tires, fuel only, single HX60 turbo) (2017)
Old 10-29-2018, 09:07 AM
Hotrodder

Have you called Big Dipper and talked to him?
09 lmm ccsb ltz, ATP tuning, mpi s480 over stocker, sdp y bridge, big dipper trans, 60 overs, 10mm pump, ppe up pipes and manifold, banks intercooler & exhaust, airdog165, isspro guages, traction bars, the list goes on
01 lb7 red RC/LB 11.58@119 MPH, SOLD
01 lb7 Black CC/LB, SOLD
Old 10-29-2018, 09:09 AM
Got Sheep?

Have you talked to George about this yet?

Tuned by Idaho Rob.
Old 10-29-2018, 09:22 AM
Gearhead

I did send him a text. Just waiting to hear back. I wasnt sure if this was a trans issue and hate to bother him if it was something simple like transfer case. I have heard of a snap ring in the case that can cause issues. just trying to rule out the transfer case first. Since everyone is saying trans I think I got my answer and will talk with George

Thanks guys

Old 10-30-2018, 03:44 AM
<<<Future tuna killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IOWA LLY View Post
QUIT TELLING PEOPLE TO DO THIS!!!!!!!!

He has an 02 according to his signature and that means he has a 5 speed TCM which will be instantly FRIED if he grounds it!!! I donít know why you keep telling people to do this when Iíve pointed this out to you before multiple times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
2010 GMC 1500 SCSB Denali Clone < lifted 22's/33's, Kooks, Magnaflow, 5.3, 6l80, TVS1900, lots of boost, Mayhem tuned, etc... <<<<Broken Under Construction : BTR boost cam, sodium valves, titanium springs, 15% overdriven balancer, 80lb squirters>>>>

1969 MGB GT MKII Factory Condition

2016 LML CCSB Denali < Lifted 22's/35's, Fox 2.0 < I officially need help.
Old 11-12-2018, 06:05 PM
Gearhead

Figured I would update this with the fix in case this ever happens to anybody else and they come across this post. My lock up box which is usually in my center console was between my seat an center console. When I would turn in my seat to look out the back window in reverse the lock button was getting hit. For whatever reason the trans will go into a neutral feeling if the lock button is hit while your moving in reverse. Trans and transfer case are both good so I'm happy as can be