Special Thanks to:Scott@SDP
Tuned by:Blake@UDT
Best time to date: 12.08 @ 112.58 1.76 60ft
Old 10-27-2018, 05:14 AM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TRIKHD View Post
Harleys are loud and slow from what ive seen. Lol
Back in the day when my dad was still around he had a road king. Not much left stock on it obviously but I watched him have traction issues through second gear and still run low 13ís. With a shitty launch and spinning through second Iíll take that. Lol
456HP 925 TQ
Old 10-27-2018, 06:07 AM
Why do I keep doing this?

I saw a newer Harley a few weeks ago. No idea what it was, but it was a beautiful motorcycle. Quiet, too....which was strange.
"Kleshay" -- 2000 C5 Corvette -- the toy
"The Bigger Boat" -- 2011 Workhorse P700 - 6.0LS/Allison - what I drive at work

Two wrongs dont make a right, but three rights do make a left.

Reality is a matter of perspective.

This forum isn't for the weak of heart.....or wallet.

"Lets build a race car they said. Itll be fun they said. I don't know who "they" are.........but they need a good punch in the face!" -- mufflerguy (yb)
Old 10-27-2018, 07:01 AM
Got Sheep?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy1925 View Post
So I worked over the tracker pretty good on my trip in Mexico. 200 mile round trip of dirt punishment. Tweaked the frame and killed the front suspension.... So Iím dailying the limo.

That said, needed to work on some things. Swapped the solid fan hub back to the viscous clutch, changed a bad brake bulb out, put the ďtow tuneĒ back in and Josh has freed up time to get the 6 speed tuning dialed for running G3 clutches.

On the first revision today and so far so good. Cleaner smoother down shifts and thus far (crossing fingers), the ďbumpĒ I get when the trans is hot from the 2-1 down shift/false neutral is cleaning up. Tomorrow morning Iíll see if the rough down shifts when cold are cleaner.

I do need to figure out what I want to do for a dual fueled controller, 90% sure mines dieing as it lopes/rattles coming to an idle from a coast and sometimes lopes just idling.

Did walk a mmi kid on a Harley on the on ramp. Was getting the trans learned on the new tune and looked back to see the bike trying to keep up but just fading back. That was pretty funny
James, I have new trim springs to test for the downshift.

Tuned by Idaho Rob.
Old 10-27-2018, 07:20 AM
don't know sh!t about IFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L. View Post
James, I have new trim springs to test for the downshift.

Iíll call you Monday!
James

02 LB7, LLY, LBZ, LMM, LML, L5P 2500HD CC/LB dmax/alli "The Limo"

BIG THANKS TO: Mike L, Steve, Trent, Guy, Dan, Ruben, Josh H, Scott, Brian and everyone else who has put a hand in to help me.

best time to date: 12.39

motor died/bent rods = 3/11/11
back from the dead 7:04pm 4/9/2012

Limo is back in the garage, now driving a built chevy tracker
Tailgate Crew Member #4
Old 10-27-2018, 07:22 AM

The ones these guys ride are those 103 bikes. Same damn thing Iíve whooped up on that a guy in my neighborhood has and thinks itís the shit.
James

BIG THANKS TO: Mike L, Steve, Trent, Guy, Dan, Ruben, Josh H, Scott, Brian and everyone else who has put a hand in to help me.

Tailgate Crew Member #4
Old 12-09-2018, 09:23 PM

Seems the old girl doesnít like all the daily duties since the tracker has been put off to the side for repair.

Lift pump started leaking pretty bad the last week or so, lower oil pan started weeping enough to leak on the ground, inj 2 plug started messing with me like llyís always do, front end has a clunk, and fuel sender gets iffy at 1/8 tank and below.

Got new o-rings coming from airdog but didnít show up for the weekend. So started on her today hoping to get most this knocked out. Worked on the injector plugs first. Relatively simple. Fixed some loose wiring, hot side intercooler tube that was hitting the frame and tidied a few things up under there after fixing the plugs. Did inj 7 as well as it gave me issues 2 years ago till I picked it and bent the metal tabs in more (didnít jam it all the way through the metal)

Soldiered up and waiting on heat shrink

Doing this made me see the hydroboost was leaking. Didnít get to it today but Iíll be replacing that this week.

Then on to the oil pan. Thought Iíd have clearance between the lift kit crossmember and the pan so I could snake it out from under the oil pick up.... nope. Motor mounts had just enough play when you jack the engine up that I could get it out with some finagaling and a little grinding on the edge of the crossmember. Cleaned it all up, cleaned the old rtv off both pans and put it back on. Then cleaned the whole underside of the oil residue. What a fricken mess that was pulling and putting that pan in

All clean and back together

And then only got to the lift pump. I ran the fuel lines back to stock routing so I can still drive it but wanted to get the pump out and disassembled. Looks like it was leaking out the weep hole. Lucky the fuel never got into the motor

Cleaned out most the built up junk in there but you can see itís still some stuff there needing a cleaning. Glad the weep hole never plugged up

Dry as a bone

Brushes look good but a bit dirty in there. Iíll clean that out

Bearings in the motor feel dry on grease. They donít feel rough which is good. Iíll snake a grease needle under the seals and add a bit to them.

There is 2 bad o-rings, one on the back of the motor by the brushes and the other that seals the motor from the fuel. Rest look good.

Then went to back the truck in and noticed some coolant on the floor under the front end. Oh looky there, water pump is leaking out the weep hole... smh... well guess I get to do that as well!

So still have the clunk to address, tank sender, and now the hydroboost and a water pump.
James

Tailgate Crew Member #4
Old 12-09-2018, 09:58 PM
Heavy & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy1925 View Post
And then only got to the lift pump. I ran the fuel lines back to stock routing so I can still drive it but wanted to get the pump out and disassembled. Looks like it was leaking out the weep hole. Lucky the fuel never got into the motor

Cleaned out most the built up junk in there but you can see itís still some stuff there needing a cleaning. Glad the weep hole never plugged up

Brushes look good but a bit dirty in there. Iíll clean that out

Bearings in the motor feel dry on grease. They donít feel rough which is good. Iíll snake a grease needle under the seals and add a bit to them.

There is 2 bad o-rings, one on the back of the motor by the brushes and the other that seals the motor from the fuel. Rest look good.
You lucked out, my friend. Once you get diesel in the motor, it combines with that graphite residue from the brushes and shorts everything out, then that's that. Plus the smell is indescribable

I had to pull my lower oil pan once (a crappy 7mm socket popped off the ratchet while attaching injector wires and went down the oil drain, so I had to go get it ). I ended up removing that cross member, but I think that's a bit easier on a stock truck than a lifted one.

If you don't have anything bolted to your bed, I have found it is quicker to get to the sender by pulling the bed. If you have 2 friends (more is nicer), you can just lift it off by hand. 2+ people to lift, one to snake the fuel filler and wires down. You'd probably need 4 people, as 2 people struggled with my short bed. I guess pulling the tank isn't that hard, but you end up covered in 10 years worth of road debris, rocks, etc., and getting the fuel lines off is a PITA. With the bed off, you can drive it out and pressure wash it before getting started, and usually I don't even drop the tank at all. Just pull the sender out the top, easy as can be.

Old 12-09-2018, 10:27 PM

Yeah I caught this bastard just in time. Clearly the oring around the bearing and the bearing seals were still good to hold the fuel off

Iíve really considered it but with 5th wheel rails and my tool box, it will be too big of a pain in the ass. Iíve dropped the tank enough times in this thing it ainít all that bad as long as I keep the fuel level real low. I have a few 5 gal gas cans I use to pump it dry first. Being a lifted truck, I literally just sit under the truck and work on it lmao
James

Tailgate Crew Member #4
Old 12-12-2018, 08:21 AM

Alright, let me share some fun i had last night

rolled the truck in the garage pretty enthusiastic about getting her fixed up. Let the coolant drain while i started on seeing what o-rings i got to rebuild my airdog which was a fail (see my airdog thread on that). So finished started tearing the truck down for the new water pump. got to the balancer bolt and the fun starts. put my trusty 1/2" harbor freight breaker bar on it and a jack handle extension and start going to town. I have used this bar since the moment i first built my engine. its broke loose countless balancer bolts and fly wheel bolts over the years. Its fitting its final day was back on the engine it started life on. pull, pull, pull, hear a creak and think the bolts coming loose as its slowly giving and BAM, bye bye breaker bar end.... well shit, lets give a new one a go from HF. put it on, start pulling, dont even get half as far as my OG one and BAM, that bitch breaks.

now im trying to figure out who the hell will have a 3/4" bar i can use and is close by. my buddy nate who has a 3/4" ratchet is already home with his fam so told him i may come by the next day and snag it. Last option was to call my good buddy who runs a snappy truck.... not going to be a cheap day . He says he has a few options and to stop by his house. get on the truck and he has no 1/2 or 3/4" breaker bars. he has a 1/2 breaker ratchet but i told him, i really dont see that holding up. he says "ok, we are going another route". goes into his personal stuff and pulls out his own 1/2" breaker bar. I said buddy, im really afraid ill snap that. ive already broke two, granted they are chinesium subgrade material but this thing is taking a shit ton of torque. So he pulls out what i would could only say is the sweet baby jesus of torque wrenches. a 4 ft 3/4" snappy torque wrench that goes to 700ft lbs.

yes i know to some of you all, that big shit aint nothing but when you dont ever work with it or see this stuff, its like a gold scepter when you need to get a f**king balancer bolt off. He says, turn the torque all the way up and if it clicks (which i highly dooubt it will), dont keep pulling on it or it will kill the calibration. 10-4, you got it. told him id try the 1/2 breaker bar first. get back home, throw the breaker bar on first, start pulling at what i feel is an unreasonable amount of power now with my jack handle on it and BAM, breaks. Holy f**k.

Ok mother f**ker, im not asking any more, its time for big bertha. i crank it to 600ft lbs thinking theres no reason to go higher, get down in the bay and start pulling on that. Im damn near giving it everything i got and "click", torque wrench clicks. oh.... my.... god.... what in the f**k did i do when i put this bitch on years ago. yes im cussing alot, get over it . so i try a few more times thinking maybe it was just the bolt clicking coming loose. nope, this sucker is the torque wrench clicking. So i turn it up to 650.... click, torque wrench goes off. turn it up to 700 and cross my fingers, wrench goes click, BAM. im like, shit. i just broke the freaking 3/4 torque wrench, this is NOT going to be cheap to fix. i look down, no, its all in tack and its still ratcheting fine. so i pull on it again and watch as the damn bolt is finally coming loose! thank god...

rest of the tear down goes as expected. get the old pump out and see the weld on the gear has cracked all the way around. boy this is good timing. No weld on the impeller side either which i understand after trying to weld that damn thing. i can also see bad wear on the gear teeth. this was a "noisy pump" from when it seems ac delco couldnt make the gear pitch correct and caused them to whine when putting them in. mine did that for about 2 years and finally quieted up, the wear shows it lol. slam it all back in, fix a broke ODLO wire at the pin in the tcm and replaced the hydroboost.

finished up at about 12:30 last night/this morning. all seems well, no leaks and everything works. also checked the front end over, one upper ball joint has a bit of slop in it but not much, thinking thats my noise so i loaded a little grease into it for now.

boy that was fun
James

Tailgate Crew Member #4
Old 12-12-2018, 08:48 PM
Hotrodder

I have all of those big bastards.... I couldn't get a balancer bolt off with the engine on a stand, had to call a service truck over with 150 psi of air and old mother f*cker my 2161xp IR 3/4 impact, f*ck you bolt I cuss too James I swear those things get tightened by the hand of god sometimes
Old 12-12-2018, 09:05 PM
chock full of goodies

I used s 3/4 impact with 6" anvil, and a heavy duty swivel. Went under the radiator stack to get to it. Didn't even have to lock down the motor. That water pump cost me 800$ but it was money well spent. Who doesn't Love getting new toys for the shop!! And it made it feel like a justified purchase. Then 6 months later it got stolen

Sent from my SM-J337A using Tapatalk
bosh remans from lincoln diesel, @290k
fass 150
19.5 american eagle alloys
cognito upper a-arms
Quote:
Your freedom to be you,includes my freedom to be free from you....
Old 12-13-2018, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burn Down View Post
I have all of those big bastards.... I couldn't get a balancer bolt off with the engine on a stand, had to call a service truck over with 150 psi of air and old mother f*cker my 2161xp IR 3/4 impact, f*ck you bolt I cuss too James I swear those things get tightened by the hand of god sometimes
The sad part is i can only blame myself cause i tighten the damn thing! I couldnt see how id get a 3/4" impact in there, i left the lower shroud on and just the 36mm short socket, 1/2" to 3/4" adapter plus the torque wrench only left me about an inch to the radiator. Thats one radiator i did NOT want to put a hole in. every time the bar snapped, the first thing i looked at was if i hit the radiator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironmax View Post
I used s 3/4 impact with 6" anvil, and a heavy duty swivel. Went under the radiator stack to get to it. Didn't even have to lock down the motor. That water pump cost me 800$ but it was money well spent. Who doesn't Love getting new toys for the shop!! And it made it feel like a justified purchase. Then 6 months later it got stolen

Sent from my SM-J337A using Tapatalk
this was the toughest one ive come across. usually, taht HF breaker bar i had takes them off without much sweat. 4 ft jack handle on it and off we go. this sum bitch went on tight! and its my doing! lmao
James

Tailgate Crew Member #4
Old 12-13-2018, 09:47 AM
<thatís not me...

James on my lb7 I used a cheapo duralast 3/4 ratchet. With a jack handle on it and all 140lbs of me yanking on it for the balancer bolt. Something went boom and it was the bolt not the ratchet. I was impressed for less than $35

Other toys:
1982 K10 6.2 Detroit diesel/sm465/np205 with 4 inch lift and 35s. Fixed and driving again
2011 Yamaha YFZ450X
2003 Yamaha YZ250
2003 Kawasaki Z1000