Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 03-15-2019, 07:41 PM
Hotrodder

Default coolant leak and idk where.

I have a coolant leak some where and i can't find it. There is no spots on the concrete. I changed my reservoir cap. I took it to a shop and had them test it for a head gasket and they told me it looked good. The dash tells me it is low on coolant like every 1.5-2 months and have to top it off(and it is low i put about 1/3 of a gal. Every top off.) I was thinking about getting a pressure tester from autozone and some die incase its leaking on top of the block and evaporating away before it drips or can see it, i can see it. Do you guys think of somewhere i should look or to try?
2003 lb7 crew cab.5" turbo back exhaust and PPE boost increase valve. Lt265/70/17. Autometer gauges. Fass lift pump. Aih delete. bills custom intake stage 5. Creatures of the night efi live tunning. Ppe tie rods. 50 over injectors. .
Old 03-15-2019, 08:02 PM
Hotrodder

Water pump weep hole or head gasket.
-2011 GMC 3500 CC LB DRW, Complete SoCal Built Stage II engine with Beehive Titanium retainers, Gapless Rings, Clam Shell Plenum Cylinder Head Mod, Socal Billet Crank, Carillo Rods, Cast 4.075 Oval Bowl .075 Valve Pockets, Thermal Coated, AF Billet Cam, 14 MM Stroker CP3, Energy 150% Injectors, SDP Twins 480/63.5 Stock upgrade, SDP Built Full Billet Trans, PPE Manifolds and up pipes, Dual core transmission cooler with fan, Detroit Truetrac with Timken Bearings, BDS Recoil Traction Bars, Fass 220 lift pump, Beans sump, 5" single piece Aluminium Driveshaft
-2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance 0 to 60 in 3.3 seconds
-2017 Indian Roadmaster Stage 2
-2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Special thanks to:
Scott @ SDP
Blake @ UDT
Old 03-15-2019, 08:21 PM
Hotrodder

Oh and i for got to mention the reservoir still has pressure after like 2 days of sitting. And i was told thats a good thing because that points away from a head gasket also.
2003 lb7 crew cab.5" turbo back exhaust and PPE boost increase valve. Lt265/70/17. Autometer gauges. Fass lift pump. Aih delete. bills custom intake stage 5. Creatures of the night efi live tunning. Ppe tie rods. 50 over injectors. .
Old 03-15-2019, 09:25 PM
Shits broke

Turbo coolant line?

Thanks to Mike L, SoCal Diesel, and Abel Chevorlet.

Tailgate Crew Member #1
Old 03-15-2019, 09:32 PM
Daggum farm truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by davig View Post
Oh and i for got to mention the reservoir still has pressure after like 2 days of sitting. And i was told thats a good thing because that points away from a head gasket also.
That’s a sure sign of bad head gaskets.

06 Express 2500 Duramax Van "The Dumpster"

Old 03-15-2019, 09:48 PM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshH View Post
That’s a sure sign of bad head gaskets.
For real.... dont tell me that am a have to go back to that shop pissed because i had them check that
Old 03-15-2019, 10:17 PM
Hotrodder

Quote:
For real.... dont tell me that am a have to go back to that shop pissed because i had them check that
Radiator should have no pressure by the next morning, hose should be soft and easily squeezed.

04.5’ CCSB ole blue, built trans, mpi twins, 12.5X @ 108
03’ Reg Cab ZF 6
05’ CCSB Millennium Falcon, built eng, built trans, mpi twins, 11.67 @ 117
Old 03-16-2019, 03:45 AM
Why do I keep doing this?

Before you do something rash, check the overflow tank cap and clean/replace it if needed. That might be all it is. But yeah, the guys are right -- it could very well be headgaskets.
Id also be wary of letting that shop work on my truck.
"Kleshay" -- 2000 C5 Corvette -- the toy

Marlene (Molly) Bacon -- 1936 - 2019 -- RIP Mom You're already missed, at home and on the piano.

Two wrongs dont make a right, but three rights do make a left.
Reality is a matter of perspective.
This forum isn't for the weak of heart.....or wallet.
"Lets build a race car they said. Itll be fun they said. I don't know who "they" are.........but they need a good punch in the face!" -- mufflerguy (yb)
Old 03-16-2019, 12:25 PM
Its Me

Recently ran into the same problem here although im getting a low coolant light about every 3 days... local shop in gainesville pressure tested it and said it came back okay but i know there is a deeper lying problem so im gonna drive it 4 hours back home and take it to a reputable shop (PELA motorsports). I also noticed a bit of blow by but not enough to push the oil cap off when placed upsidedown
4 inch MBRP straight pipe
suncoast built trans
efi live by Pela Motorsports
Airdog2 4g 165
Exergy stock replacement injectors
ARP head studs
Stealth 64 G2
Old 03-16-2019, 02:02 PM
Freedom Diesel

If you have pressure trapped in the cooling system after 24hrs of sitting, what in the world makes people think that a pressure test is going to tell them any new information

A pressure test is only meant to prove a pressure LEAK.
Thank you.

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, Ecodiesel
Old 03-16-2019, 03:11 PM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Sometimes it is hard to admit when you hear things that may cost thousands , I know in the 8 years on this site you have heard many people talk about the hard rad hose a day or two as being a sure sign of a head gasket , most of us have been down that road ! If you consider it to be a good time to do some small upgrades , studs , fresh springs , valve job and water pump , you will be good for many years to come ! It makes it a little easier to justify , in my case anyway . Good Luck !!!
AFE Blade Runner,AFE Momentum CAI,DHD Big Air intake Y pipe, DHD fuel block,DHD pcv reroute,MBRP 4 inch exhaust,DHD 3 inch downpipe,BD driver's side manifold,DHD pass side up pipe,DHD 3 inch intercooler hot&cold pipes, ATI damper,Empire pin kit by Big Foot on & off road shop, FASS fuel system,5/8 inch pickup, FASS fuel filter delete, EFI live,V2 & lap top , 5 position switch 250 hp big tune, shimmed fprv by Crank it up , built SunCoast Allison 1078 converter aftermarket trany mount by Limitless Diesel,ARP head studs,grade C gaskets,tig-welded water pump,T stats by Blackout performance,MA t case brace , Kriptonite motor mounts,MA pump rub kit,HD drive shaft 1480joints by Greensburg machine,BDS Recoil traction bars, PPE finned deep pan , Mike L trany cooler, PSC pump, 5100s, Sulastic Shackles, Curt com 2.5 hitch
Old 03-16-2019, 03:34 PM
Boyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by torqued2dmax View Post
Sometimes it is hard to admit when you hear things that may cost thousands , I know in the 8 years on this site you have heard many people talk about the hard rad hose a day or two as being a sure sign of a head gasket , most of us have been down that road ! If you consider it to be a good time to do some small upgrades , studs , fresh springs , valve job and water pump , you will be good for many years to come ! It makes it a little easier to justify , in my case anyway . Good Luck !!!
X2. Also if your mechanically inclined do them yourself. You can get quiet a few upgrades done while your in there with the money you save on labor.
02 lb7 reg cab 4x4.
Old 03-16-2019, 04:44 PM
Too many toys!!!

If its holding pressure, how will a pressure test find anything?? If its holding pressure after a few days, it honestly sounds like head gaskets.

Try this, relieve all the pressure when cold, put the cap back on, go for a drive around the block and if the top rad hose it rock hard, you have your answer.

As suggested, you can do other mods, but I would add putting the better drivers manifold on and a better down pipe.
Old 03-16-2019, 05:48 PM
Hotrodder

Mine only leaked at -30f in Alaska, I ran them for a year that way. When I pulled them the metal wrapped around the fire ring was starting to split on 2 cylinders, maybe 1/8”. I changed them in the spring when the weather was nicer. My point is they can be very slow to leak and may only do it under certain conditions. Makes pressure testing pointless unless they are completely gone, then you wouldn’t need to test anyway

04.5’ CCSB ole blue, built trans, mpi twins, 12.5X @ 108
03’ Reg Cab ZF 6
05’ CCSB Millennium Falcon, built eng, built trans, mpi twins, 11.67 @ 117
Old 03-17-2019, 02:04 AM
Hotrodder

Quote:
I have a coolant leak some where and i can't find it. The dash tells me it is low on coolant like every 1.5-2 months and have to top it off(and it is low i put about 1/3 of a gal. Every top off.)
Not to say you have the same problem I did, but this is EXACTLY the problem I had with Emma.

After driving with it for WAAAY too long because if denial, when I finally replaced the head gaskets I was able to keep the coolant inside the cooling system, and my radiator hoses were not rock hard the next morning.

Black Max, the fun truck:
'03 2500 4x4 CC/LB
Bent Rods, now under construction, its time to put all the saved up parts in....
Special thanks to Pat & Kat McSwain, MikeL, Guy, Trent, and others from here-thank you for the great ideas!
EPR triples

Emma, my DD:
'04 2500 4x4 EC/SB
HTT T4 366 74 .91, 65% SAC's from LDS, Trans Kit from Evan, tunes by Zach at Starlite