Thread: LLY: 05 LLY Build
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2018, 07:20 AM
don't know sh!t about IFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdsankey View Post
Update: Got the rotating assy and block back from the machine shop last Thursday. The amount of weight they pulled out of the crank for balancing is insane. I've seen inside a few other built motor trucks

I managed to break an oil ring Sunday with my cheap Summit tapered ring compressor. After that $100 overnight bill from California I decided to overnight the ARP tapered ring compressor as well for 4.075" bore. I managed to break 2 more rings with the ARP tapered compressor (oil rings) so I had to suck it up and get help from the machine shop. What doesn't make sense is I've done this numerous times on other engines and had zero issues.

This weekend/next week (before UCC) I am hoping to have the engine bolted in the truck/bolted to the trans. That would be awesome to get accomplished as then all I have to do is bolt the turbo setup on and hook up the easy stuff.
the oil rings can be tricky on these truck when you put a piston in. radiusing the top of the cyl bore edge helps stop some of this. ive had better luck with the cheap oreillys rings compressor than the tapered ring compressors. i get those suckers TIGHT and once i get the skirt lined up in the bore and compressor flat to the deck, ill give it a hard quick tap and they usually drop right in.
James

02 LL7 2500HD CC/LB dmax/alli "The Limo"

BIG THANKS TO: Mike L, Steve, Trent, Guy, Dan, Ruben, Josh H, Scott, Brian and everyone else who has put a hand in to help me.

best time to date: 12.39

motor died/bent rods = 3/11/11
back from the dead 7:04pm 4/9/2012

Limo is back in the garage, now driving a built chevy tracker
Tailgate Crew Member #4