Bad parts counter experiences

six5creed

Jan 6, 2016
N.C.
Got 2 parts department experiences that come to mind. 1-I had a Powerstroke years ago and went to the Ford dealer in Kernersville, N.C. and there was a lady working there in the parts department. I said I need a price on a clutch, pressure plate and throwout bearing. She said "is it a straight drive or automatic?" I walked out without saying anything else. If you don't know what a clutch, pressure plate and throwout bearing goes in you don't need to be working in parts...man or woman... 2-My dad and I had an old F600 dump truck we used on the farm. A freeze plug rusted out. We stopped by Auto Zone cause it's the first parts house we came to. I said I need a 1 1/2" freeze plug, the guy said what does it go in? My dad yells at him "it goes in an inch and a half hole!!!" we walked out and went to NAPA and told the guy there and 5 seconds later he had it in hand for $.49.

Last edited:

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Honda is one of the worst to order parts for. Sometimes they will ask you if it's a 2D or 4D when ordering an axle seal. Sometimes they ask if it's FI or carburated. Believe it or not; it makes a difference on these cars.:eek:

lutzjk913

May 5, 2010
groveport, ohio
Not saying that there isn't some dumb counter people out there but from being on the other side of the counter. I have some great customer stories! LOL. And let me go ahead and say some of our catalogs work against us instead of with us with the questions they ask.

I work at a large ford dealer btw.

Duramax One

Vote for Pedro
Aug 11, 2012
Oroville, CA
The problem I'm seeing is that parts houses are just another job for people. They just ask the questions the computer tells them to ask, and if it's not in the computer system, it must not exist.

Went to an O'Reilly for an axle seal for a duramax that was leaking really bad (would have gone elsewhere if it were an option). After explaining that we need a rear axle seal for a 2003 GMC 2500HD, going through all the standard "Is it 4x4? What motor?" questions, the gal gets a weird look on her face and hits me with this gem: "The computer shows that your truck doesn't have a rear axle."

I sat there for a moment waiting for her to chuckle and say something to the effect of "Which obviously isn't right." That statement never came, so I drove a ways out of the way to a competent local parts house, who were greatly amused by the ignorance of O'Reilly. Their computer showed the same lack of axle, but they laughed and broke out the catalog.

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
99% of time it has nothing to do with what parts store chain or franchise it is. It has everything to do with the competence of the person you're dealing with. We get our GM parts from a dealer that is 40 minutes away when there is one 6 minutes away as well as another that is 18ish. Their personnel and customer service and most importantly, delivery service, far exceeds the other two closer dealers combined.

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
I had a guy at O'reilly's argue that my truck will require three u-joints for the rear driveshaft because that's what his truck had. I was even wearing my local Chevy dealership work jacket at the time. He was like "I'll see you back in here shortly for another one!"

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
I had a guy at O'reilly's argue that my truck will require three u-joints for the rear driveshaft because that's what his truck had. I was even wearing my local Chevy dealership work jacket at the time. He was like "I'll see you back in here shortly for another one!"

When did GM start using a driveline with 2 ujoints on the 3/4 ton and up trucks.?

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013

Well he was kinda right.. Precision u joints are junk, you'll need another...

PACougar

Jun 27, 2012
El Dorado Hills, Ca
Number one problem I have isn't necessarily the people, but the polices. I often need parts overnighted for customers cars and most dealerships don't have either an option for shipping or an option for shipping overnight. It's very frustrating calling Jaguar dealerships around the country trying to find one that'll ship a fuse out.

lutzjk913

May 5, 2010
groveport, ohio
99% of time it has nothing to do with what parts store chain or franchise it is. It has everything to do with the competence of the person you're dealing with. We get our GM parts from a dealer that is 40 minutes away when there is one 6 minutes away as well as another that is 18ish. Their personnel and customer service and most importantly, delivery service, far exceeds the other two closer dealers combined.

Couldn't have said it better!

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
My NAPA got sold to the guy who owns the Carquests in town. He closed down the NAPA and switched its inventory to one of his CQ stores.
None of the good NAPA people that I've dealt with for years went with the switch, which sucked. It got even worse b/c the guys who work at this CQ are complete buffoons. They screwed up two consecutive orders of mine, and since I am of the "two strikes you're out" mindset, so I now shop at Advance or Oreillys.

rg3whitelbz

Jan 19, 2013
Maryland
My NAPA got sold to the guy who owns the Carquests in town. He closed down the NAPA and switched its inventory to one of his CQ stores.
None of the good NAPA people that I've dealt with for years went with the switch, which sucked. It got even worse b/c the guys who work at this CQ are complete buffoons. They screwed up two consecutive orders of mine, and since I am of the "two strikes you're out" mindset, so I now shop at Advance or Oreillys.

There's an old timer at the Napa I use for work. He handles the commercial phone line and is a complete wiz. When he takes 1 week vacation a year the store literally falls apart.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
You couldn't be closer to the truth there haha. I ended up putting factory back in it eventually.

Good deal.. I wont put a precision in unless it's the ONLY thing available for that vehicle.. We have a spicer dealer in town with a great inventory.. I don't even look at precision anymore.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
There's an old timer at the Napa I use for work. He handles the commercial phone line and is a complete wiz. When he takes 1 week vacation a year the store literally falls apart.

Dont you know it. I had such a good relationship with my guys that they'd let me come around the counter and look thru the books when I was trying to find a part. I used to buy all my cabin filters thru them too, so they'd stock extras for me. Just awesome customer service, but like everything in life, it ended.

jliddle

Jun 30, 2012
NC
Putting a valve cover gasket on my Festiva at one time..

Go to autozone and attempt to source a throttle body gasket. Counter person proceeds to ask me if its fuel injected............

Henry95

Apr 4, 2015
With part source I ordered a torque converter seal for an A518. The one that seals it against the case. Three times and they stilled screwed up. My twin stopped at napa and they gave me the right one the first time. It's all in who you talk to. I have my guy with part source and a lady with napa I deal with. When they are gone it sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gl4787

<-- just sits
Jan 27, 2009
WI
You guys think you've got it bad, try being a service writer at a big dealership. I literally have problems with my parts department every day. It doesn't matter if my tech points it out to them on the computer screen, they either get the wrong side, wrong color, wrong year vehicle, can't find the part, can't get the part for outrageous amounts of time or just get you the wrong part completely. It doesn't help when your parts manager does nothing about it so there's no accountability when it comes to screwing up your job. I think that's a big part of the problem weather you're talking about an independent parts store or even a dealership, there's just no accountability for not doing your job. If they get the wrong part it's no skin off their back so the don't give a shit, but for the people relying on them to make a living it can be a real problem.