Question: GM IFS suspension set-up

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Me too. ;)

I specifically remember a thread over on DP approaching 10yrs ago where he & I discussed square/rectangular shaped traction bars making more sense than round for the load applied to them. I try to pay attn to all technical posts he's involved in bc of his scientific/engr approach & input. I are an enginerd too.

nwpadmax

comlpete diphsit
Aug 17, 2006
under my truck
James, that is really good stuff...thanks very much. You've given me a lot to ponder.

Over the winter I have some ideas I want to try out on a truck using some load cells, 4 wheels on scales, load the thing down and see what the real dope is. I think there's some stuff going on that explains how some trucks "have it" and some never seem to get where they need to be, regardless of how much money is dumped into engine parts....

Thanks again, man.

05smoker

I'm officially done!
Mar 30, 2007
Lebanon, OH
James, that is really good stuff...thanks very much. You've given me a lot to ponder.

Over the winter I have some ideas I want to try out on a truck using some load cells, 4 wheels on scales, load the thing down and see what the real dope is. I think there's some stuff going on that explains how some trucks "have it" and some never seem to get where they need to be, regardless of how much money is dumped into engine parts....

Thanks again, man.

Coming out of retirement?:D

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az

Thanks again, man.

You got it man. Post up what you find!

GSXRTURBO1

Feb 10, 2015
Detroit MI
Tthinking about going this route. Does anyone have the p/n for the dual adjustment shocks and coil springs?

see this earlier post, I believe it has the past #'s he used

Truck is not DD anymore, strictly track only.

You think these would be too short? My truck at ride height sitting on bump stops is appr. 18" from bottom shock bolt to the top of shock bucket. Than subtract 1.5" for coil over shock mount bracket would put me at about 16.5" shock length at ride height. I really only want the front to raise off the bump stops about 1" when pulling.

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/hal-dd701

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/hal-dd901

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
i suggest those that are looking to do this really watch for coil bind and keep that in mind when setting these coilovers up. there is not much room for error. this pic is a direct cause of coil bind on a truck that has been testing a set of coilovers for me for stock height trucks

now i dont for see this happening right away to pull trucks as this truck has been pushed HARD off road but over time, you will kill the bottom coil retainer from letting off at the end of pulls causing this issue. this is, assuming, you use the shock as the bumpstop for full compresssion.

duramaxzak

Wanna be puller!
Nov 22, 2008
Minnesota
i suggest those that are looking to do this really watch for coil bind and keep that in mind when setting these coilovers up. there is not much room for error. this pic is a direct cause of coil bind on a truck that has been testing a set of coilovers for me for stock height trucks

now i dont for see this happening right away to pull trucks as this truck has been pushed HARD off road but over time, you will kill the bottom coil retainer from letting off at the end of pulls causing this issue. this is, assuming, you use the shock as the bumpstop for full compresssion.

My pull truck does not use the shock as a bump stop.

Yellow Jacket

WannaBe Sled Puller
Feb 11, 2009
Waterloo, IA

It's got stock tie rods, can't be pushed that har... Lol

jdlover1

437 Cubic Inches
Oct 4, 2006
chapanoke,nc
mine is still factory suspension. If I decide not to do coil over I need to figure out a good way to put bump stops on the front so it doesn't sit so low in front

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
You can make your own out of all thread and some tubing and some time/fab skills. Using the swaybar link hole. Easier way is make a block to bokt in where OEM bump stop is.

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
I used the bump stop area for a few years with all thread. But I ended up bending it so much. Ofcourse that was when it was an 8500# class instead of 8000

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jdlover1

437 Cubic Inches
Oct 4, 2006
chapanoke,nc
thanks guys. I currently have the ones from chevy big hitch. But with 8500lbs slamming down on them, they were shot after a few pulls