Buy turbo/CP3 or pay off truck?

cstephens93

Oct 13, 2014
Tallahassee, FL
I just want to see what other members of the community have to say

I owe about 8000 dollars on my truck until it is paid off, but I have been slowly saving for a turbo and an sportsman pump/cp3. I keep going back and forth asking myself if I REALLY need the turbo and cp3 yet or if i should just start doubling my payments on my truck and pay it off quicker. Its pretty much one or the other, I wanna either save solely for the turbo/cp3 or pay more off on my truck.

Having 222,000 miles on my engine, I'm scared by the time I pay off my truck, it wont be worth upgrading the turbo/cp3 which is why I keep going back and forth.

I'm 21 years old and my payment is just under 300 a month, so without doubling up, it would take at least 2 more years to keep the single monthly payment.

What would some of you guys who have been around longer than I have suggest?

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Pay all you can and get it over with. 222k isn't bad, no reason it won't keep running. Plus without a car payment you can put more money towards parts or a mild engine build. Then the motor will be fresh.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

colorado.dmax

Apr 19, 2015
Haha. I was in the same boat, needless to say a danville billet 68mm showed up on the door step last week.:D

Hernpj01

On a Time Out
Sep 23, 2014
Indiana
pay the truck off! dont get caught up in the material things......all goes back to needs and wants. You need to pay your truck off and you want new parts!:thumb:

cstephens93

Oct 13, 2014
Tallahassee, FL
The worst part is, I just want to have the faster duramax of the local kids around town.

I dont mind the payment so much, its just annoying when it gets in the way of wanting new parts haha

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
The worst part is, I just want to have the faster duramax of the local kids around town.

I dont mind the payment so much, its just annoying when it gets in the way of wanting new parts haha

always going to be someone faster or someone with deeper pockets.

be smart about what you want to do. sometimes making that grown up decision means not buying go fast parts. whether that pertains to your particular situation ultimately is left up to you.

cstephens93

Oct 13, 2014
Tallahassee, FL
always going to be someone faster or someone with deeper pockets.

be smart about what you want to do. sometimes making that grown up decision means not buying go fast parts. whether that pertains to your particular situation ultimately is left up to you.

Oh yeah for sure about someone always having a faster truck,

Between my financial situation and having to pay for school, it will definitely be a smarter decision to pay the truck off.

I just hope nothing breaks in the mean time haha *knock on wood*

thunder550

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Only way I'd say not to pay it off is if you were in a 0% interest loan. If someone is loaning you money for free, there is no financial incentive to pay ahead of schedule. If you are paying interest, definitely pay it off.

CaptPhil

Sep 10, 2011
Delaware
Few thoughts on this.

Dont buy parts to make your truck faster and less reliable if a $300 monthly payment can put you over budget.
Dont ever take out a loan for performance parts, only for parts that will get your vehicle back on the road, and really only if the truck is making you money.
It feels good to make the final payment on something.

cstephens93

Oct 13, 2014
Tallahassee, FL
Few thoughts on this.

Dont buy parts to make your truck faster and less reliable if a $300 monthly payment can put you over budget.
Dont ever take out a loan for performance parts, only for parts that will get your vehicle back on the road, and really only if the truck is making you money.
It feels good to make the final payment on something.

Pay the truck off first. James, Chris and Phil have stated why.

Yes.

I'm taking the current money I had saved for the CP3/Turbo to the bank today to put it towards my payment. Its going to be a long road.

But you guys are right, theres no reason I should make my engine less reliable if im on a budget