Anyone else ever broke a Burkhardt axle?

Yellow Jacket

WannaBe Sled Puller
Feb 11, 2009
Waterloo, IA
Has anyone else ever broke a Burkhardt 38 spline axle before?

It shot out the side of the axle cover too! I will be contacting them tomorrow during business hours to get a new axle and cover coming!

Attachments

• IMG_20140531_232845505.jpg
    IMG_20140531_232845505.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_20140531_232832660.jpg
    IMG_20140531_232832660.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 177

Yellow Jacket

WannaBe Sled Puller
Feb 11, 2009
Waterloo, IA
It was at a pull here kind of local to me last night. I put one of Tony's spool and axles in my truck back in 2009, right after he came out with the 38 spline. I've been running it in my street truck ever since, waiting on a locker to come out. I had a customer ask for me to get him a spool and axles, I told him I'd trade and eat some of the cost myself by ordering the locker instead of spool for him. I switched the locker into my truck and find out one axle is shorter and Tony's current stuff uses equal length axles. I called them and at first, without talking to Tony, they were unfamiliar with any differences... After talking to Tony, I have one of about 6 sets in existence with one axle shorter than the other. They changed the spline location in the spool to accommodate equal length axles. And it was the customer's first hook. It broke out the axle bolt cover right where the o-ring is cut into to seal the full floater axle, it looks to be about 1/8" to 3/16" thick at that groove. Of course the customer has a hook next weekend, so I need an axle and cover ASAP!

Yellow Jacket

WannaBe Sled Puller
Feb 11, 2009
Waterloo, IA
On a side note, I probably had 60-70 hooks on that setup without any problems... Go figure, I move it to someone else's truck and it fails. I even made 3-4 hooks on it last year and 6-8 the year before, obviously not at the power level I used to have or at the customer's power level...

Yellow Jacket

WannaBe Sled Puller
Feb 11, 2009
Waterloo, IA
Still running 1150 in a 3.0 truck? Time to upgrade! Making too much powa

Not in 3.0 truck, lol. We put a fabricated housing Meritor 20-145 in last year... The 3.0 truck is still sitting in the trailer from after we pulled the engine last September after Scheid... It isn't hitting the pulling track anytime in the near future, unless someone wants to sponser a powerplant or someone wants to put a Haisley Super B in it, that will guarantee a crank doesn't break, lol.

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
Not in 3.0 truck, lol. We put a fabricated housing Meritor 20-145 in last year... The 3.0 truck is still sitting in the trailer from after we pulled the engine last September after Scheid... It isn't hitting the pulling track anytime in the near future, unless someone wants to sponser a powerplant or someone wants to put a Haisley Super B in it, that will guarantee a crank doesn't break, lol.

That's right, shoulda remembered that. I have never heard of anyone breaking an axle of his.

05_LLY

Out-A-Time
Aug 7, 2006
Norvelt, PA
Buddy of mine broke both the drive flanges on a set one night two seasons ago, it was an early set too I do believe!

Yellow Jacket

WannaBe Sled Puller
Feb 11, 2009
Waterloo, IA
Here's a couple more pics with the small broken piece now removed from spool and housing.

Attachments

• IMG_20140603_180453956.jpg
    IMG_20140603_180453956.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_20140603_180435606.jpg
    IMG_20140603_180435606.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 82

Yellow Jacket

WannaBe Sled Puller
Feb 11, 2009
Waterloo, IA
Not real happy, the axle is 1.25" shorter than the standard axles they are using now. And I was told it will "take months to order a shorter axle to fix it." And my option is to spend another $2000 to buy the new spool and a standard length axle!?!? Not exactly great customer service in my opinion, but maybe I'm seeing this from a slanted/blinded point of view.

What do you guys think?

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
It really depends on if you knew that this part was custom made or not. Anytime you use a part that isn't readily available off the shelf at multiple places you are going to run into this.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Yellow Jacket

WannaBe Sled Puller
Feb 11, 2009
Waterloo, IA
It really depends on if you knew that this part was custom made or not. Anytime you use a part that isn't readily available off the shelf at multiple places you are going to run into this.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I never had a clue they made a "running change" and no longer kept parts available on the shelf... Nothing like charging a customer $2500+ and then when it breaks 5 years later, "Oh, we changed that so it will take months, but we can sell you new spool for $1250 that will match our new axles", never mind that your old one we charged you that same money for is now good for nothing but an expensive paperweight, sorry...

MadMaxx61

Devilmaxx
Oct 13, 2008
Windsor, Ont, Canada
I never had a clue they made a "running change" and no longer kept parts available on the shelf... Nothing like charging a customer $2500+ and then when it breaks 5 years later, "Oh, we changed that so it will take months, but we can sell you new spool for $1250 that will match our new axles", never mind that your old one we charged you that same money for is now good for nothing but an expensive paperweight, sorry...

Sorry to say it but that's how it goes in most manufacturing setups. Why would he keep stock of an old inferior part compared to the new set up that can cost less to manufacture.
Why does GM not build a frame for a 1970 C10 still? Because then now make a better one for the new trucks that is stronger. Do you feel that they should be still making them for that guys that own C10s so that if they need a new one they can buy it from GM. I don't think so. New models and design change of all manufactured items happen all the time you have an older model things change. Yes it sucks it broke on you but in the world of performance of any kind of autoracing you have to Pay to Play.

Yellow Jacket

WannaBe Sled Puller
Feb 11, 2009
Waterloo, IA
Sorry to say it but that's how it goes in most manufacturing setups. Why would he keep stock of an old inferior part compared to the new set up that can cost less to manufacture.
Why does GM not build a frame for a 1970 C10 still? Because then now make a better one for the new trucks that is stronger. Do you feel that they should be still making them for that guys that own C10s so that if they need a new one they can buy it from GM. I don't think so. New models and design change of all manufactured items happen all the time you have an older model things change. Yes it sucks it broke on you but in the world of performance of any kind of autoracing you have to Pay to Play.

Your comparing a 45 year old part to a 5 year old part, not even close to the same thing. And they aren't still rolling 70 Chevy anything off of their assembly line, Dirty Hooker Diesel is still having production run. Nice attempt at comparing apples to oranges though...

Yellow Jacket

WannaBe Sled Puller
Feb 11, 2009
Waterloo, IA
And EVERY other manufacturer that produces custom axles for pulling applications produces them with 4-6 inches of spline on one end, because then they can be cut to fit different applications. SCS, ProFab, and Performance Pros all do this due to cost savings and customer service...

I called SCS and they make the 37 spline stuff for Dana 80's and Haisley, but they don't make a 11.5 AAM spool, or I'd have one ordered...

MadMaxx61

Devilmaxx
Oct 13, 2008
Windsor, Ont, Canada
It is about the same thing. Shit gets discontinued all the time. Why cant you buy a V1 FlashScan from EFI Live? Because they make a better one now that is the V2 FlashScan.

You have V1 axle setup. They no longer make the V1.

They make the V2 setup now. It is nice that he can special order you and have a custom made axle to replace the old V1 one. If he was not a good guy he could have said sorry we no longer make that and you have to buy the new V2 setup. But no he can get you a part to fix an old axle setup that is no longer made. But will take time as it is now not the norm.

Yellow Jacket

WannaBe Sled Puller
Feb 11, 2009
Waterloo, IA
It is about the same thing. Shit gets discontinued all the time. Why cant you buy a V1 FlashScan from EFI Live? Because they make a better one now that is the V2 FlashScan.

You have V1 axle setup. They no longer make the V1.

They make the V2 setup now. It is nice that he can special order you and have a custom made axle to replace the old V1 one. If he was not a good guy he could have said sorry we no longer make that and you have to buy the new V2 setup. But no he can get you a part to fix an old axle setup that is no longer made. But will take time as it is now not the norm.

This is a much better example! EFILive discontinued v1 and still supported it for years afterwards! Then, when they no longer did, they will upgrade you to v2 for about half of a new v2! If they had said we'll upgrade you to the new spool for half of new I would've jumped all over it! EFILive didn't tell v1 customers, "F**k you, buy a new one, your old stuff we charged you for is worthless junk."

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
did you ask if they would do that for you (ask about helping you out on price) and express your concern about having a product of theirs and no being able to now fix a broken part of theirs?

MadMaxx61

Devilmaxx
Oct 13, 2008
Windsor, Ont, Canada
How is he not supporting it? Did he say he could not get you the part. No he said it would take time.

Yes I do know EFI Live had the program of sending the v1 to them for some time. That is not the norm in the world. If you break something in a Canon DSLR it can be fixed but could be 2-3 months to get it fixed and will cost a ton. But still cheaper than a new one most of the time if it was a top end and still newish. Anything a few years old. Lol ya they can fix it but cheaper to buy a new one. That's how most of the world works now days.

What about this. When you bought it 5 years ago. Did you ask if he will stock parts on it for the next 10 years? No? Why not? Why did you not ask then if he makes the axils the same then had one cut shorter? As you seem to know what all other aftermarket axils seem to do. Maybe you should have asked more questions before buying something.

A lot can change in 5 years. What if he went under and was no longer doing diesel stuff.

I am not saying you can't be unhappy but its not his fault. He said he can have one made. Just will take time.

If you blow up a discontinued turbo do you think ya they should sell me a new one that replaced that one at 1/2 price because I broke it. ???

Just so you know I am not per say picking sides. I have never bought anything from DHD. I am just playing devils advocate. Taking a third person view on everything. Using common sense.

Yes it sucks it broke. Ya it will cost money. In the aftermarket world of pushing things harder and harder and harder there is almost no guarantee on things from not breaking or falling apart or blowing up. Like I said you have to Pay to Play. If you can't pay then don't play.

I don't have the money to push my truck harder right now so I set it back to an almost stock tune. To play safe. I don't street race or any race now. I just drive it and use it like a truck. I tow when I need to but won't push it hard.

Last edited: