PowerPuck

MattMcF

Mar 21, 2014
WV
Well I've been thinking about it lately and was considering putting a Diablo PowerPuck on my 2011 LML.

Has anyone had one on theirs. How did it work? Was it worth it? Can I run it and a CTS monitor?

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
I have no experience with the powerpuck or the LML but I do know there are many options out there that would be better than the Diablo. Plus I think they plug into the obd2 port which would prevent you from running an insight.

dmax711

Mar 4, 2011
concord, north carolina
I have no experience with the powerpuck or the LML but I do know there are many options out there that would be better than the Diablo. Plus I think they plug into the obd2 port which would prevent you from running an insight.

They don't plug into obd2. Goes under the hood. There's a lot of guys who like them, are there a lot better options yes. But for the money you can't go wrong.

MattMcF

Mar 21, 2014
WV
They don't plug into obd2. Goes under the hood. There's a lot of guys who like them, are there a lot better options yes. But for the money you can't go wrong.

In your opinion what would be a better option for the money. I don't want to spend a lot of money just yet cause after I order the powerpuck or whatever I go with I'm planning on getting my exhaust done.

MattMcF

Mar 21, 2014
WV
Also, will I need to buy the EGT kit for the CTS Insight to monitor the EGT.

MattMcF

Mar 21, 2014
WV
I don't personally know the way it plugs into the cts. I would think you could…someone else may know...

Ok. Hopefully someone can give me some input. Guess I'll wait and see. May do gauges after all. Decisions decisions.

Dec 2, 2006
TN
I would go for a custom tune..

Not the cheapest option but well worth it. I know many that had problems with the TS module, but not many opinions lately about the powerpuck since all the custom tuning is out now.

MattMcF

Mar 21, 2014
WV
I would go for a custom tune..

Not the cheapest option but well worth it. I know many that had problems with the TS module, but not many opinions lately about the powerpuck since all the custom tuning is out now.

I'm planning on adding EFI eventually but for right now this will get me by. Also the CTS Insight is just a monitor. I'll agree with your statement of many people have trouble with the CTS evo. But I'm just looking for something to get a little more power out of my truck.

TexasRob

Dec 19, 2012
Canyon Lake Texas
I'm planning on adding EFI eventually but for right now this will get me by. Also the CTS Insight is just a monitor. I'll agree with your statement of many people have trouble with the CTS evo. But I'm just looking for something to get a little more power out of my truck.

If your gonna blow 400 bucks to get you by why not just save a little more and get stock trans safe efi from a good tuner. You are just about 50 percent of the cost already. Just my 2 cents.

MattMcF

Mar 21, 2014
WV
$400 on what? I have to have a monitor or gauges so that'll be spent either way. And I've found the puck for $280.

But before I do efi I want to have the exhaust done. Gauges/monitor done. And some other things done.

TexasRob

Dec 19, 2012
Canyon Lake Texas
$400 on what? I have to have a monitor or gauges so that'll be spent either way. And I've found the puck for $280.

But before I do efi I want to have the exhaust done. Gauges/monitor done. And some other things done.

Sorry i just looked at the general price for power puck and seen they were around 4. But take it from me. I have owned 3 duramax's. First was 05 lly had the banks 6 gun with pda. Ran like a striped ape but also ran hot. second was 04 lly had bully dog with the top tune unlocked (forgot what it was called) but it limped the trans all the time. I have ridden in two trucks tuned with efi by two different tuners and there is worlds of difference. My third truck is stock because of finances. I would not waist my money on generic fake tunes ever again.

MattMcF

Mar 21, 2014
WV
Sorry i just looked at the general price for power puck and seen they were around 4. But take it from me. I have owned 3 duramax's. First was 05 lly had the banks 6 gun with pda. Ran like a striped ape but also ran hot. second was 04 lly had bully dog with the top tune unlocked (forgot what it was called) but it limped the trans all the time. I have ridden in two trucks tuned with efi by two different tuners and there is worlds of difference. My third truck is stock because of finances. I would not waist my money on generic fake tunes ever again.

Ok. I understand what you're saying. I was just looking at some things for my truck and the PowerPuck came up so thought I'd ask if anyone had any opinions on it. I am strongly considering efi or a mini maxx tuner soon. But it's just a matter of timing. Honestly was just seeing if the puck was something that would be sufficient for now.

TexasRob

Dec 19, 2012
Canyon Lake Texas
I know where you are coming from wanting more power for less money now, but in the end its not worth it. EFI with a smart person behind it has done so much to the duramax tuning world. I don't have efi on my truck like I said because I'm not in the best situation right now but I have experienced the difference first hand and personally it is worth staying stock for a while and spending money right the first time. You won't regret it.

MattMcF

Mar 21, 2014
WV
I know where you are coming from wanting more power for less money now, but in the end its not worth it. EFI with a smart person behind it has done so much to the duramax tuning world. I don't have efi on my truck like I said because I'm not in the best situation right now but I have experienced the difference first hand and personally it is worth staying stock for a while and spending money right the first time. You won't regret it.

Ok that makes sense and probably end up doing just that. Just gonna take care of all the little things before efi.

TexasRob

Dec 19, 2012
Canyon Lake Texas
Ok that makes sense and probably end up doing just that. Just gonna take care of all the little things before efi.

That is my thinking exactly. but you might also want to wait on installing exhaust on you truck with out a tune since it is so new. I am not 100% but i know the newer trucks with the dpf and stuff are picky when you start messing with them. So you might want to call some one and talk to them. You can always buy parts and stock pile until you have everything then do it all at once.

MattMcF

Mar 21, 2014
WV
That is my thinking exactly. but you might also want to wait on installing exhaust on you truck with out a tune since it is so new. I am not 100% but i know the newer trucks with the dpf and stuff are picky when you start messing with them. So you might want to call some one and talk to them. You can always buy parts and stock pile until you have everything then do it all at once.

I've been talking to this guy one here about his set up with a delete and mini maxx. So I may end up going that route. I do have a relative that works for the dealer I bought my truck off of so I run things by him first. Even if I did the gauges/monitor now and waited on the other stuff. I could stock pile parts too.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
First of all my smog crap is intact and will stay that way.
I started with a power puck and liked it. ( better than nothing ) Next I removed it and installed a Quadzillad 80HP tune which I liked better. Mind you, neither helped the slow response off the line. Neither helped mileage which sucks.
I then had Rob Coddens install his tune and fell in love. Off line response was great and I was able to install a converter which did not amplify the low response problem off the line.
I believe my truck could now run a 13 sec quarter mile.