LB7: Engine build questions

shagy9888

Sep 21, 2013
Well I picked up this LB7 truck last week and I knew it didn't run but didn't think it was this bad.
Story as I was told: truck sat for 3 years, drove and ran when parked.
Motor:LB7 115k
What am going to use it for: Tow/DD
Problem: motor/turbo locked up (see pic)
Questions: good gasket kits, good turbo for towing, good injectors for towing?
IMG_20130928_140737_550_zpsdf6fe8fa.jpg

Last edited:

shagy9888

Sep 21, 2013
Was thinking of Merchant automatic full gasket kit? Anyone used it dose it really have everything to reseal it? And was thinking about there 30% more injectors? Too much for just towing? ARP studs on everything. I was thinking Garrett PowerMax GT3788R Ball Bearing Turbo Kit?

Last edited:

DBUSHLB7

Team DMAX
Mar 9, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
Was thinking of Merchant automatic full gasket kit? Anyone used it dose it really have everything to reseal it? And was thinking about there 30% more injectors? Too much for just towing? ARP studs on everything. I was thinking Garrett PowerMax GT3788R Ball Bearing Turbo Kit?

The Merchant kit is a very good kit. I almost bought it myself for my recent build but decided instead to go with a victor reinz kit through Henry @ Creatures of the Night performance. It is a quality kit and has everything you'll need for much less money than the Merchant kit.

Studs are a great purchase but if you want bigger injectors don't waste your money on 30 overs. Get 60 overs at least.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Bore .020 over and deck the block and it will be good to go. Stock injectors if towing if the primary use.

You really think .020 would clean those cylinders up? I know the pic isnt the greatest, but that engine just doesnt look salvageable to me. Id hate to see what the heads look like.

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
totally not salvageable, there is more to it then just the cylinder walls, how about all the cooling ports and oil galleys...those are definitely plugged up...its with out a doubt a totall loss on the short block

blitzin247

That didn't sound good...
Feb 9, 2013
Everywhere
Yeah that short block is officially at coffee table statues, there is no saving that one bud. But you can find some stock short blocks cheap, just takes some looking.

shagy9888

Sep 21, 2013
Yeah found a short block before I pulled the heads BC I had a feeling it was bad. But it looks like there are cheaper gasket kits that are just as good out there, I will keep digging. And stock injectors will be find for towing sounds good. Is the TORQUE LOCK INJECTOR CUP worth doing and the Girdle Kit from industrail injection are both worth doing?

PACougar

Jun 27, 2012
El Dorado Hills, Ca
Yeah found a short block before I pulled the heads BC I had a feeling it was bad. But it looks like there are cheaper gasket kits that are just as good out there, I will keep digging. And stock injectors will be find for towing sounds good. Is the TORQUE LOCK INJECTOR CUP worth doing and the Girdle Kit from industrail injection are both worth doing?

For your use I would do either of those. I'd stick with stock injectors as well. If it's really going to be a DD/Tow vehicle I wouldn't waste too much money over building it. Stock engines do just fine for a very long time under 500WHP. I would through some head studs in while it's apart, and of course I mean in a different short block from the one pictured.

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
I would go back stock with everything but I would add head studs. Seems everyone is satisfied with the quality and price of creatures of the night gasket kit also. As far as turbos go I'd try to find a good used stocker, probably not anything better for towing at low hp levels 400 and under.

shagy9888

Sep 21, 2013
IMG_20130929_162928_197_zps5d36a268.jpg

IMG_20130929_162934_969_zpsb24071b7.jpg

Not all of them are like this. Any ideas? Dirty injectors I believe.
But the pass side is not as rusty but driver is rusty. I clean the rust off and got PB siding in them to get the motor to turn so I can get them torque converter bolts out.

Last edited:

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
If it were mine, I would get my money back in a hurry. No way in hell it "ran", looks like it was already used for a boat anchor. Its hard to tell, but the one picture looks like the piston exploded. $.02